Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Day pass to the Admirals Club with minors?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Day pass to the Admirals Club with minors?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I think it's pretty clear the intent of the policy is to come in with one's own children. I don't think it's reasonable to think the marketing analyst who wrote the text for the web site should have envisioned this scenario (and likely several others) where one may come in with minors not one's own.

Also, "children" is often used to mean descendants.
1.) It does not say anything about children on the website. It says Minors under 18 years old.
2.) I called the Admiral Club main phone number last week, and the agent I spoke to said it would not be a problem. Minors are allowed to enter the club with Adults they are not related to, as long as they are all traveling on same day AA tickets.
3.) If the Marketing Analyst 'envision' something different that what they state, maybe AA's legal counsel should be reviewing their stated policies?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mvoight
Yes, but the creator of the contract is responsibile for what is missing in the contract.
That is, in court, I would expect a ruling in favor of the person who bought the passes, as the contract clarity is up to the contract provider.
I don't see how they would - the passes were not purchased until after they were told how many they would require to all be granted acccess. They purchased only after knowing this

It would be worth contating AA and asking for a refund though
IAHtraveler likes this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 24, 2019 at 4:09 pm
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
The AA website seems pretty unambiguous to me. I'd be contacting AA and asking for a refund of the 5th day pass fee.

The relevant bits of the website are "Eligible for purchase and use by any American Airlines customer 18 years of age or older" and "Up to three children under 18 years of age admitted for free at no additional cost, if accompanied by an adult day pass visitor"

There's nothing that says that the children need to be related to the adult day pass visitor. It would be very easy to include wording to that effect if the intent was to limit it to family members.
IAHtraveler, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bchandler02
Just tell the staff that they are adopted. Let them challenge that.
They could certainly challenge that.” and ask for proof. Minors traveling out of the US would definitely need something to establish their permission to travel, whether with one parent or none.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could one or more of the kids have been age 18 or older? Or could the OP's son and source of the credit card have been assumed to be 18?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie405
The AA website seems pretty unambiguous to me. I'd be contacting AA and asking for a refund of the 5th day pass fee.

The relevant bits of the website are "Eligible for purchase and use by any American Airlines customer 18 years of age or older" and "Up to three children under 18 years of age admitted for free at no additional cost, if accompanied by an adult day pass visitor"

There's nothing that says that the children need to be related to the adult day pass visitor. It would be very easy to include wording to that effect if the intent was to limit it to family members.
It may be implied by the statement "children under 18" - if it meant purely by age , the "under 18" is redundant ; it it meant children , as in related to the adult, then the reference to "under 18" is necessary

That is the problem with use of a word which has multiple meanings
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could one or more of the kids have been age 18 or older?
They were all under 18, there was 1 that is about to be High School Senior that is 17. Bottom line is AA does not even understand their own polices.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Or could the OP's son and source of the credit card have been assumed to be 18?
What ??

Last edited by 787; Jun 24, 2019 at 9:03 pm
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by 787

What ??
I think the thought is that the agent was under the false impression that your son was 18 because he had a credit card, even though he is an authorized user not the primary account holder.

Last edited by freeagent; Jun 24, 2019 at 9:24 pm
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by 787
They were all under 18, there was 1 that is about to be High School Senior that is 17. Bottom line is AA does not even understand their own polices.
Have you called AA and confirmed that the agent was incorrect at the lounge?

If AA has confirmed that there was an error, I would have thought that there would be no problem getting a refund of the additional cost
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't see how they would - the passes were not purchased until after they were told how many they would require to all be granted acccess. They purchased only after knowing this

AA advertised the passes for sale with certain rules, then attempted to get more money than permitted for what they were selling.
AKA, Bait and Switch.
waterskifly likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
For crying out loud, the language in the standard AC membership clearly calls out the fact that you are allowed to bring in your immediate family members, specifically citing children under 18. So if they actually wanted to use that language in their day pass TC's, it's not like it is foreign to them. A simple, partial cut & paste would be all that's needed. Instead the chose different language that insinuates that 3 minors (no relation needed) are allowed with each adult day-pass holder.
trooper, wrp96, chitink and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
AA advertised the passes for sale with certain rules, then attempted to get more money than permitted for what they were selling.
AKA, Bait and Switch.
invitation to treat doesn't commit the company to having to make the sale though - plus the advertising is ambiguous on what is permitted
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
invitation to treat doesn't commit the company to having to make the sale though - plus the advertising is ambiguous on what is permitted
Additionally, AC's will forgo the sale of day passes to control capacity on peak days/times. You won't actually know until you get to the AC whether they'll even let you in. I've witnessed this several times at DFW during IRROPS/bad weather.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:14 am
Original Poster

When I called last week the agent said it would not be an issue since the policy does not say anything about the minors needing to be related to the adult. I assume that agent knows how to read.

I called again yesterday and the agent says the minor has to related to the adult. I tried to explain that is not what they have posted as AA's policy. About all I got from her is she would have someone look at the policy. I know I was not going to get anywhere so I gave up. I'll try again after they get back from the trip.

Is it not really about the $59, it is the fact that they felt it was okay to not abide by their own policy, and that it was okay to basically shake them down to buy extra Day Pass.
bchandler02 likes this.

Last edited by 787; Jun 25, 2019 at 9:21 am Reason: Typo
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I think it's pretty clear the intent of the policy is to come in with one's own children. I don't think it's reasonable to think the marketing analyst who wrote the text for the web site should have envisioned this scenario (and likely several others) where one may come in with minors not one's own.

Also, "children" is often used to mean descendants.
All major companies have these terms approved by a Legal team. I'm sure a Marketing analyst put it on the website, but make no doubt that someone in Legal (half assed) did the job.
GlobalMatt likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.