Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Hawaii Premium Economy upgrade surprises: bait & switch & upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii Premium Economy upgrade surprises: bait & switch & upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by whimsey21

One of my colleagues who is ExecPlat has received the $0 upgrade to PE before (on TA flights in his case), so I don’t think it’s a glitch, but rather how AA is handling complimentary upgrades to PE when they see fit to offer them...
Correct.

To Hawaii in particular, PlatPro and above are eligible for instrumentless upgrades to PE, when the system is offering DODUs (formerly/basically LFBUs)
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by whimsey21
W

One of my colleagues who is ExecPlat has received the $0 upgrade to PE before (on TA flights in his case), so I don’t think it’s a glitch, but rather how AA is handling complimentary upgrades to PE when they see fit to offer them... I, sadly, have never received such an offer. OP does’t mention his status but this is a possible schematic.
Good to know! Makes it even more obvious that AA is in the wrong here. They really ought to refund OP!
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chitink
Upgrades don’t go into PE, American has not yet made this a “class of service” so stickers and swu go Y to J or J to F only. There’s no way to yet upgrade into PE. So for the return you should get stickers back, and for the outbound I would call the EXP line and explain what happened and ask for a refund.
There have been many reports of EXP’s getting to choose PE seats at check in for Zero. The gate agent was power happy.
Yes, AA has made PE a distinct class of service that is separate from Y.

That said, upgrades do go from Y to J.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MAH4546

It absolutely qualifies. OP was told it would cost $0 and then forced to spend $142. I’ve seen $0 upgrades. It shows if you have certain elite status and a flight has PE. Oh, like OP.

You are also totally wrong on how stickers work on domestic flights with PE.

I don't think the cc company will view OP as being forced to do anything. AA said the price is $149 - take it or leave it. OP took it and then used his cc as the instrument to pay for a purchase he knew how much it would cost, what he was getting, and then AA provided the service they charged him for.

Had it been that OP purchased the upgrade using the cc initially for say $50, and then at the gate AA said you actually have to pay us $100 more, then OP could seek the cc to charged back the last $100.

Make sense?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium

It absolutely qualifies. OP was told it would cost $0 and then forced to spend $142. I’ve seen $0 upgrades. It shows if you have certain elite status and a flight has PE. Oh, like OP.

You are also totally wrong on how stickers work on domestic flights with PE.
for starters I said nothing about stickers

second no this won’t qualify for credit card fraud which is effectively what you are claiming when you contest a charge. Op on his connection was given a choice to either pay or move to a new flight. He chose to pay.

third, why are you so angry? Perhaps listen to Swift’s new song, might resonate with you
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I would do a chargeback on the credit card, especially if you have screenshots. Let the CC handle it.
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
This wouldn’t qualify for a credit card dispute. Poster willingly paid $142 and gave someone their card to do so

only hope here is aa does something to make this right. That said when have you ever seen a $0 upgrade, that should have indicated something fishy

call it user error and move on is my rec
Perfectly reasonable to tell your CC company "they offered at $0, I agreed- then once I arrived they changed the terms AND REFUSED TO GIVE ME MY ORIGINAL SEAT". '

For some reason, specifc to flyertalk, it seems they people think a chargeback can only be 'as mistaken charge or a fraud"...this is absolutely not true. It is when a vendor violates the terms of an offer. Which AA did.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:57 pm
Suspended

...second no this won’t qualify for credit card fraud which is effectively what you are claiming when you contest a charge.
May we ignore every single other thing you say on this subject now? You don't seem to know anything about it from that statement.

...That said when have you ever seen a $0 upgrade, that should have indicated something fishy
Ditto my comment above.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jun 23, 2019 at 8:12 pm
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
That said when have you ever seen a $0 upgrade, that should have indicated something fishy
I've moved into PE on a domestic 787 flight on a '$0' seat selection as a QF Gold, and was not asked to pay anything.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I've moved into PE on a domestic 787 flight on a '$0' seat selection as a QF Gold, and was not asked to pay anything.
Doesn't apply here because PE seats are sold as MCE on domestic flights (except Hawaii), not as actual PE.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat

Perfectly reasonable to tell your CC company "they offered at $0, I agreed- then once I arrived they changed the terms AND REFUSED TO GIVE ME MY ORIGINAL SEAT". '

For some reason, specifc to flyertalk, it seems they people think a chargeback can only be 'as mistaken charge or a fraud"...this is absolutely not true. It is when a vendor violates the terms of an offer. Which AA did.

But there was no credit card involved when the initial offer was made. I guess I don't understand how the cc guarantees work.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
This wouldn’t qualify for a credit card dispute. Poster willingly paid $142 and gave someone their card to do so

only hope here is aa does something to make this right. That said when have you ever seen a $0 upgrade, that should have indicated something fishy

call it user error and move on is my rec
All the time:

Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
So if a Plat wants to use stickers from Y between DFW and HNL, what "class" are they upgraded to?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by donotblink
All the time...
In case he's tempted to declare it "user error" in your case too:

Premium Economy Upgrade Request for EXP & CK [$0 for a limited time]

and:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D9YIqPpXsAEyol-.jpg:large
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Just an FYI, when I've done this, I haven't encountered issues checking in or boarding.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:48 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP

for starters I said nothing about stickers

second no this won’t qualify for credit card fraud which is effectively what you are claiming when you contest a charge. Op on his connection was given a choice to either pay or move to a new flight. He chose to pay.

third, why are you so angry? Perhaps listen to Swift’s new song, might resonate with you
A chargeback is for many reasons. CC fraud is one. There are others. Not only does this absolutely qualify, but CC company will absolutely side with OP.

Im not angry, just correcting your wrong info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.