Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Overnight layover and checked baggage (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond

Hi. I will be traveling soon and have an overnight layover in Miami (it is a 12hr10 min layover). Will I need to claim my checked bags and then recheck them? Its not a big deal to claim them and then recheck them but its a hassle so I'd prefer to check through to my final destination. Does the overnight layover mean I have to grab the bags or can I leave them with AA just like a regular day connection. TIA.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Louiskie
Hi. I will be traveling soon and have an overnight layover in Miami (it is a 12hr10 min layover). Will I need to claim my checked bags and then recheck them? Its not a big deal to claim them and then recheck them but its a hassle so I'd prefer to check through to my final destination. Does the overnight layover mean I have to grab the bags or can I leave them with AA just like a regular day connection. TIA.
AA generally uses twelve hours as it’s cutoff for allowing bags to be through-checked, but if they tell you that when you check in you might get some slack - or not, if the agent checking you in is rigid “by the book”.

See the Wikipost at the top of the thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html. We will merge this into that thread soon.

Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Id love to see a graph of "bag loss/delay' plotted against 'connection time'

From 0 minutes to 60, it is probably a steep curve from 99% down to 1-2%...but wonder if past 6 hrs it starts rising back up....

?

Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Id love to see a graph of "bag loss/delay' plotted against 'connection time'

From 0 minutes to 60, it is probably a steep curve from 99% down to 1-2%...but wonder if past 6 hrs it starts rising back up....

?

Anecdotes aren’t data, but in my years of flying I’ve never had a bag delayed or lost because of a long connection. I have for connections that became too short or in cases of IROPS, and a couple of times for “airline weirdness” - like the time in PHX coming in from Mexico, where they delivered one dive bag but not the other. Reason: I had a dive knife, in both bags, but they detected it in one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.