Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Never flying AA again / AA is horrid / I hate AA (consolidated 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Never flying AA again / AA is horrid / I hate AA (consolidated 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:21 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by enviroian
would you fly an airline that you have no status on?
As another poster put it, status is for chumps.

Put me in as another enthusiastic vote for flying with no status. Anything but top tier status is a slot machine that hardly pays out F/J and it's usually something lame that I value close to zero like SJC-SLC rather than SFO-HKG. Am I really going to get the upgrade as number 150 on the list? If you want F, you have to pay rather than pray.

Commuting on US domestic carriers suck. They are all bad. Potential lottery upgrade to F or J is not a perk I value. So I look for the least bad based upon price, schedule frequency, and free SDC on work travel (the only elite perk I value) to minimize commute time and give me flexibility when work gets in the way. Because the domestic product is so bad, I gladly book cheap bstard/basic economy fares for non-business travel with no elite benefits to give domestic carriers as little money as possible.
travelgeek1197 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Not on the app, you can't. Or at least the iPhone app, because I don't have the android app handy. Or if you can, I certainly can't find the functionality.
The AA app most certainly has the feature. You can see the incoming flight which makes up your flight and you can repeatedly track that back.

It is, of course, accurate as of the moment you check and fairly useless in IRROPS when aircraft are swapped. But, that is true of all carriers.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
The AA app most certainly has the feature. You can see the incoming flight which makes up your flight and you can repeatedly track that back..
Sorry, I don't see that functionality. Maybe I'm missing it. I can see the incoming flight, but nothing on the incoming flight allows me to select the incoming flight for the incoming flight. It stops at the first level. Of course, I can use the flight number of the incoming flight in a separate search, but that's not how it's implemented in OAL apps. I must be missing the hidden (or not-so-hidden) feature.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Antarius
Dude... do we seriously need 2 threads a week on this?
YES!
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:29 pm

Self redacted

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jun 23, 2019 at 6:26 am
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Any airline can get you from Airport A to Airport B safely.

There are a million details that vary from airline to airline, from price, schedule, on-time performance, frequent flyer programs, etc. to cushiness of lounge chairs.

Everyone has to decide which of these millions of details matter most to them, then choose an airline that best suits their needs. Debating the trivial details (beyond Airport A to Airport B safely) is pointless.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by bse118
Well perhaps you should be taking your issues up with your travel department then? As they are the ones that could actually maybe do something to give you some options? @:-)

I don't understand all the vitriol and constant complaining without any willingness to do anything about it on your side...
I’m going to go go out on a limb here, based on dealing with corporate travel, as an employee traveler, with several S&P 500 firms:
1. Many decision makers don’t travel, like we do. They think BIS 4-6 times a year, including family vacation, makes them a FREQUENT FLYER.
2. Corporate travel departments are concerned with meeting contract, saving $, compliance with corporate travel policy, and usually are minimally involved in decision making.
3. Some decision makers are given CK, and/or are given travel policy immunity. So they think the gates swing open and the angels sing when anybody in the company flies, just as it does for them.

Rhetorical question: If (all) decision makers/managers were FORCED to use their product ... would we see ANY change?

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jun 23, 2019 at 6:55 am
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:39 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Not on the app, you can't. Or at least the iPhone app, because I don't have the android app handy. Or if you can, I certainly can't find the functionality.
By memory, it is only on the website. (I use Android on phone). I still think of apps as "little toys on my phone" and then I go to a computer when I want to actually do something. (Yes, I am "old school" - probably comes from being the first non-scientist to have regular access to the internet).
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA Premier Platinum
I am Over American

As i sit right now in the Admirals Club as an Executive Plat. today is a sad day in my travel life. I have finally given up on American Airlines. I travel every week for work and several years back I was a United person. I left United Airlines for American Airlines when Jeff took over United. He kill the Business Travelers at United. And for several years I have been very happy with American even with the changes in the Saver Award Availability. At least American took care of it's Business Traveler Elites (Exec Plat.)

Today I'm sitting at the Admirals Club in Denver. This is the 3rd week in the row I have had some serious flight issues. Three Weeks ago I got to Dallas my connection was canceled but American put me on a later flight to leave a 6 pm. The airplane was in Dallas, the flight crew was in Dallas but they had issues with gates. American kept delaying the flight 30 minutes at a time until they canceled at 1:30 am the following morning. American according to the App cannot get me to Wichita until Wednesday and this is Sunday. So I rent a Car at 1:30 am and drive to Wichita.

Then fast forward to last week. Sitting in Admirals Club and my flight is cancelled again. Will say Admirals Club people took very good care of me. They put me on another airlines to get to my destination.

Now today. I'm at home and I get a email that my flight is cancelled. My app says it cannot find me a rebooking. I call the Exp Desk and told there is a 2.5 hour delay even to talk to someone to try to fix this.

I now email my customer and my company that I'm having flight issues again. Most of the employees of the company fly out of Denver and they are having no issues on other airlines. I'm getting pushback from my company and the end customer why am I using an airlines that unable to maintain it's flight operations.

I have to say I'm going to try United Airlines or Southwest. Not sure is the grass is greener over there, and I could be back. But being told there is a 2.5 hour delay on the exp line is a sorry time in American Airlines.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sbrower
By memory, it is only on the website. (I use Android on phone). I still think of apps as "little toys on my phone" and then I go to a computer when I want to actually do something. (Yes, I am "old school" - probably comes from being the first non-scientist to have regular access to the internet).
the iPhone app does have it, but not all of the time. From the first screen when open the app, you need to click on hour trip- when it opens the next page showing your current/next segment, the incoming flight link is at the bottom. I haven’t fully figured out why I see it sometimes and not other times- I think it is only there within a few hours of your departure time and also doesn’t appear if the equipment is already at your departure airport.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rkeyser
As i sit right now in the Admirals Club as an Executive Plat. today is a sad day in my travel life. I have finally given up on American Airlines. I travel every week for work and several years back I was a United person. I left United Airlines for American Airlines when Jeff took over United. He kill the Business Travelers at United. And for several years I have been very happy with American even with the changes in the Saver Award Availability. At least American took care of it's Business Traveler Elites (Exec Plat.)

Today I'm sitting at the Admirals Club in Denver. This is the 3rd week in the row I have had some serious flight issues. Three Weeks ago I got to Dallas my connection was canceled but American put me on a later flight to leave a 6 pm. The airplane was in Dallas, the flight crew was in Dallas but they had issues with gates. American kept delaying the flight 30 minutes at a time until they canceled at 1:30 am the following morning. American according to the App cannot get me to Wichita until Wednesday and this is Sunday. So I rent a Car at 1:30 am and drive to Wichita.

Then fast forward to last week. Sitting in Admirals Club and my flight is cancelled again. Will say Admirals Club people took very good care of me. They put me on another airlines to get to my destination.

Now today. I'm at home and I get a email that my flight is cancelled. My app says it cannot find me a rebooking. I call the Exp Desk and told there is a 2.5 hour delay even to talk to someone to try to fix this.

I now email my customer and my company that I'm having flight issues again. Most of the employees of the company fly out of Denver and they are having no issues on other airlines. I'm getting pushback from my company and the end customer why am I using an airlines that unable to maintain it's flight operations.

I have to say I'm going to try United Airlines or Southwest. Not sure is the grass is greener over there, and I could be back. But being told there is a 2.5 hour delay on the exp line is a sorry time in American Airlines.
You should forward your company's comments to AA. AA is literally messing with your livelihood with their incompetence. Maybe they'll actually take you seriously, but I doubt it. AA is what it is these days. I have a trip on AA coming up and if it goes badly, I'll have no one to blame but myself for not spending the extra $100 to fly Delta.
Dallas49er likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I have to say I'm going to try United Airlines or Southwest. Not sure is the grass is greener over there, and I could be back.
I get giving UA another try if based in DEN, but how can you even consider WN? They are no better from an on-time performance perspective, have no interlining agreements. Your story describes an instance of being put on another carrier, which would not have occurred if you were on WN.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

Sounds like one of my weeks.

Yeah you're in Denver--go back to United I would think would be you're best bet.

Careful whining on here, the AA loyalists will cut you down!
Dallas49er and no1cub17 like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by caburrito
I've flown that route a few times. What did AA "screw up?"
The basics, broken F seat, IFE not functional, etc.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by enviroian
..Careful whining on here, the AA loyalists will cut you down!

No reason for it.

Sounds like this member:

1. has identified that there's a problem; in this case that AA isn't working for them-- at all-- and they are unhappy with AA's utterly shoddy state of affairs.

2. Is actively at least **considering** doing something about it, moving their business/loyalty elsewhere.

3. Is being pragmatic that it may or may not result in better flying.

Say, vs. a member who's constantly unhappy with AA, has a bad experience with AA seemingly every time they fly (such a member might want to consider who/what the common denominator is in all these negative experiences they are having, but that's for another forum,) rants and raves in a steam-of-consciousness, overblown fashion about how bad the airline is, claims to be a "hub prisoner" and/or a "status prisoner." (self-imposed prison sentence in other words.)
And, yet, won't do A SINGLE THING to help themselves be less miserable, they almost seem to revel in it.

See the contrast between the two approaches there?

Last edited by JonNYC; Jun 23, 2019 at 5:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.