Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Never flying AA again / AA is horrid / I hate AA (consolidated 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Never flying AA again / AA is horrid / I hate AA (consolidated 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by sbrower
20 years ago I was in the office and my secretary told me "The boss is REALLY mad. They just cancelled his flight home from xxxx." My response, which applies to this thread, was "People who get mad don't fly enough. If you fly enough, you consider that part of the process and you get to work on alternate plans."
Very true. There's always options available, even though it might mean an overnight somewhere you weren't expecting. Have done my share at ORD and LAX. Air travel is not guaranteed, and generally, AA has been fantastic at reaccommodating me when things go wrong. I didn't have the same experience with UA as a 1K (though my sample size was smaller).
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:24 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
<redacted>

I say post away.

Commuting to work on AA every week lately really is starting to become a slog.

I wish more people were documenting how ridiculous things are.

Attempting to make meetings the same day as you fly on AA is like standing at a roulette wheel in Vegas.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 20, 2019 at 9:47 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
As QueenofCoach would say, Goodbye cruel airline
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Talking The pillows did it...

Love the consolidated thread for 2019. A wise decision.

Can I complain about the lack of domestic FC pillows in this thread? A real bummer that's been bugging me for a while and has made me think that American just isn't the airline for me...
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Great decision to create this consolidated thread.

A place to ignore on full!
cedric, rumboj and Beltway2A like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
<redacted>

I say post away.

Commuting to work on AA every week lately really is starting to become a slog.

I wish more people were documenting how ridiculous things are.

Attempting to make meetings the same day as you fly on AA is like standing at a roulette wheel in Vegas.
Yes, they have been awful. OP made the decision due to the fact that AA is notorious about rolling delays. OP made the best decision based upon own/other FT experience. If rolling delays do not happen in AA, then I or OP might have made a different decision.

My last LAX-HKG was excruciatingly disappointing, and I have since avoided AA in all cost, flying many other OneWorld partners to the US.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:53 am

Vegas was built on you unlucky people.

I fly 2,3 or 4 flights a week and never have 25% of the issues you guys have.

Oh wait, my Monday flight got canceled already. I was already rebooked on a 1.5 hr later flight AND my upgrade was preserved.
BWISkyGuy and robertablake like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bse118
Great decision to create this consolidated thread.

A place to ignore on full!
But yet you chose to post. @:-)
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:52 am

Have a friend traveling on UA running into MX and asked if I can help, I haven't flown UA in 6-7 years. Amazed at the info they have readily available on their website, seems like a novel concept.

Just checking a flights status (not even with a record locator) it gives the reason for delay, shows standby lists, upgrade lists and the current seat map. Man AA is light years behind UA on this.

Status: We want you to know your flight is departing late because an earlier delay impacted your plane's arrival. We value your time and we're sorry for the inconvenience. (Estimated Departure 15 Minutes Late)
enviroian and HMPS like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jliehr
Just checking a flights status (not even with a record locator) it gives the reason for delay, shows standby lists, upgrade lists and the current seat map. Man AA is light years behind UA on this.
One of the things I really like with UA's flight status compared to AA's flight status is the ability to easily back track a plane's status until you get to the current segment, i.e., what it is flying right now. I find this invaluable when trying to guess if my flight will be delayed. Often times you can see a plane is running an hour behind but it hasn't updated for later flights.
jliehr likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, United 1k
I had a flight yesterday on another big airline which proactively notifies of delays. My evening flight was from a congested East Coast airport suffering from weather and flow control issues. 10 hours before departure, I received a notice that the flight was already delayed two hours, now scheduled to land between 1-2am. I rolled the dice, extended my hotel, and rebooked for the next morning. Odds are in my favor, right?

Well, I lost the bet. I received a notice through the app 30 minutes before the original departure time. Flight was back on schedule and actually left only 15 minutes late. By the logic I see here, I guess the Airline Which Can Do No Wrong (not AA or UA) owes me compensation because I spent money on a hotel room and was inconvenienced by having to get up early for a 6am flight? ��

Please go to the other side of the septic tank. The grass might look prettier, but it is no different. If I could only find that airline which flies to airports that never have weather delays...
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, National Exec
You "rolled the dice" and lost. Weather in Dallas this time of year is a given and nothing they can do. Hell, you should be glad they deplaned you instead of making you sit on the plane for 3 hours before doing it. You should have hung around the original gate to see what was going to happen.

I do agree though, AA's rolling 15-30 minute delays are terrible.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
Yes, they have been awful. OP made the decision due to the fact that AA is notorious about rolling delays. OP made the best decision based upon own/other FT experience. If rolling delays do not happen in AA, then I or OP might have made a different decision.

My last LAX-HKG was excruciatingly disappointing, and I have since avoided AA in all cost, flying many other OneWorld partners to the US.
I've flown that route a few times. What did AA "screw up?"
Old Jun 21, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
Booked on 352 back home today from SJC. Plane already at the gate feeling good....Got comfortably seated in my normal 7A (I was 193 on the upgrade list) boarded, closed the door and the flight attendant comes on "sorry folks there is bad weather in Dallas we are currently on a 3 hour delay so if you would grab your things and disembark please". I get off the plane and knowing 3 hour delays mean rolling delays on this crap airline and a usual last minute cancellation 6 hours later so I call the EXP line immediately.<snipped>
Not really a rolling delay. They said 3 hours and the flight left the gate 3 hours and 3 minutes late according to Flightaware
It arrived at the gate in DFW 2 hrs 58 minutes late
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...112Z/KSJC/KDFW

Never flying AA again because they notified you of a weather delay regarding DFW.....
And their delay estimate was accurate even
......Amazing.

Last edited by mvoight; Jun 21, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:00 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by jliehr
Have a friend traveling on UA running into MX and asked if I can help, I haven't flown UA in 6-7 years. Amazed at the info they have readily available on their website, seems like a novel concept.

Status: We want you to know your flight is departing late because an earlier delay impacted your plane's arrival. We value your time and we're sorry for the inconvenience. (Estimated Departure 15 Minutes Late)
AA has no need to tell you the reason for your delay/cancellation. "It's because of weather in Dallas affecting the system. That's why we couldn't supply a crew to fly your plane from BOS to CLT."

saunders111
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.