Chicken Leg? A new low for 77W F LHR-MIA

Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by NickB
What an odd comment to make.
There is chicken leg and there is chicken leg. If you are talking chlorine-washed, US supermarket bottom range chicken, then yes. If you are talking Poulet de Bresse chicken leg, then it is a different kettle of fish altogether and a completely different order of magnitude in terms of cost (and of course taste).
You will have multiple price points and multiple quality levels when it comes to chicken, probably more than many other meats. Guy Savoy has no issue including chicken legs on the menu of his 3-star Michelin restaurant in Paris.
I would not expect chicken on AA, even in F, being among the most expensive chickens that you might buy but I would not expect it to be among the lowest either. Chicken legs strike me as eminently suitable on an airline F menu as long as the quality of ingredients and that of preparation are there.
Please don't toss good chicken legs into a kettle of fish. It would destroy their chicken flavor.
NickB and GTITAN like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP
That menu sounds to me like AA did a spreadsheet analysis and came up with the cheapest protein in each requisite category (beef, chicken, fish) that has a decent chance of passing as a meal when reheated at 30k feet. As an F customer that list reeks of "cheap" and certainly discourages me from paying a premium in $$, SWU or points for First on AA.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Is the chicken local is absolutely hilarious.....if it weren't so tragic. Reminds me of a New Yorker cartoon where people are asking the waiter if the asparagus was farm raised or wild caught. Seriously, a combo leg/thigh well prepared can be wonderful assuming good ingredients. Same with a beef cheek which actually is a delicacy and which is better adapted to serving in the air as there are no issues with overcooking/dryness as with a filet. Frankly I think airlines should devote more thought to dishes that re-heat well and avoid ingredients that are prone to overcooking....unless they can more tightly control the pre-cooking on the ground and the re-heating in the air.
NickB, nk15 and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy
I agree to a point... You can season it with other flavors, but you can't easily, naturally give a breast more chicken flavor without incorporating other chicken parts. Similarly, half of the outside factors that cause the dryness are outside the caterer's control -- which is what makes lean proteins in general so risky for airline use. The point isn't that it's impossible to make a chicken breast (or any lean protein) moist and flavorful inflight, it's just that when you're starting with a cut that's dryER and blandER, you already have two strikes against the success of the dish.
Third strike is a caterer who doesn’t want to add necessary steps to provide moist, succulent chicken breast meat because it might add a few pennies to each meal.

But there are also FFD, Flagship Lounge, local airport eateries and BYO options, so those seeking memorable dining on an airplane can find better viands.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

Frankly if this is what they are serving in F , what in Heavens name are they serving in J?

In J -the feet
in Y -the beaks
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
In J -the feet
in Y -the beaks
Basic Economy - the portion directly beneath the uropygium, also referred to as the parson's, pope’s or sultan's nose.
Attached Images  
Gino Troian likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by krispy84
That whole menu screams PE or J, not F. There isn’t even anything in French! 😁
Perhaps they should have called the dish in question "coq au vin"?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
These threads always devolve into examples of what AA First should be serving. I'll get us started.
SWISS First ORD-GVA circa 2012

Balik salmon and Crawfish Amuse Bouche

Beef knuckle - main course
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by PittDoc
Beef knuckle - main course
Beef knuckle cost a fraction of what filetmignon costs.
Probably $3/lb on sale at food4less.
How low can Swiss go?
wrp96 and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: IHG Gold
They may as well just order in a KFC dinner and reheat it. Sounds about the same.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by mapleg
They may as well just order in a KFC dinner and reheat it. Sounds about the same.
Yeah but AA can’t do extra crispy.
Gringa likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Beef knuckle cost a fraction of what filetmignon costs.
Probably $3/lb on sale at food4less.
How low can Swiss go?
Perhaps a delicious pork knuckle with rösti?
carlosdca and altabello like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Absolutely. This is a menu item in regular rotation ex-LHR. I've had it. It is good and, as others have noted, reheats better than white meat chicken or the standard issue AA filet mignon. Same goes for the beef cheeks.

The truffled spelt is tasty too.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
While I like chicken legs and thighs, a bland/dry breast can be eliminated with proper preparation and cooking.
But can it be reheated and avoid the blandness and dryness. That is the question.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
Basic Economy - the portion directly beneath the uropygium, also referred to as the parson's, pope’s or sultan's nose.
That's the best part!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.