Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicken Leg? A new low for 77W F LHR-MIA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:01 am

I really only know his name and reputation via television, but Daniel Boulud serves braised chicken legs in his restaurants. Or, at least he did at the time these articles/guides were written:

Bar Boulud in London: https://www.themobilefoodguide.com/r...dge/bar-boulud
db Bistro Moderne in Miami: https://www.miamiherald.com/miami-co...225875020.html

And you can make it at home using his recipe on the Food and Wine magazine website: https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/...h-green-olives

If the ingredient is good enough for him, it's good enough for an airline. At least that's my opinion.
DCAstudent and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
That entire menu looks more appropriate for J. As for beef cheeks, CX serves them in PEY. They are one of the cheapest beef cuts, but TBH once you cook them down they become one of the tastiest and melt-in-mouth delicious. Beef cheeks have been popular in trendy restaurants over the last few years, but IMO they appear declasse along with the rest of the menu for intl F.

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
db Bistro Moderne in Miami
Braised chicken leg is bistro food. Its traditions are more casual than bling, ergo my opinion that this entire menu belongs in J, not F.
krispy84 likes this.

Last edited by sinoflyer; Jun 20, 2019 at 1:37 am Reason: merge quote
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
That whole menu screams PE or J, not F. There isn’t even anything in French! 😁
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gino Troian
correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe chicken legs are the absolute cheapest kind of meat you could buy at ~$.75/lb... sound very cheAAp to me.
What an odd comment to make.
There is chicken leg and there is chicken leg. If you are talking chlorine-washed, US supermarket bottom range chicken, then yes. If you are talking Poulet de Bresse chicken leg, then it is a different kettle of fish altogether and a completely different order of magnitude in terms of cost (and of course taste).
You will have multiple price points and multiple quality levels when it comes to chicken, probably more than many other meats. Guy Savoy has no issue including chicken legs on the menu of his 3-star Michelin restaurant in Paris.
I would not expect chicken on AA, even in F, being among the most expensive chickens that you might buy but I would not expect it to be among the lowest either. Chicken legs strike me as eminently suitable on an airline F menu as long as the quality of ingredients and that of preparation are there.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:07 am

Or as the Indians would call it, Chicken Korma. Meat on bone is pretty delicious.
fotographer and altabello like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe chicken legs are the absolute cheapest kind of meat you could buy at ~$.75/lb... sound very cheAAp to me.
More expensive than the ingredients in the Gnocchi- potatoes and flour ;-) . Being a Texan, we love our bbq'd brisket, which happens to be a relatively cheap cut of meat (used to be very cheap).

Originally Posted by CitySlacker
Might be cheap, but due to the high fat content, it reheats better in the aircraft ovens. Breast meat can sometimes be tough and dry (for some).
Yes. Reheating a chicken leg will normally come out much better than a chicken breast. I'm sure this a consideration for the chefs designing the F menu.

Originally Posted by NickB
What an odd comment to make.
There is chicken leg and there is chicken leg. If you are talking chlorine-washed, US supermarket bottom range chicken, then yes. If you are talking Poulet de Bresse chicken leg, then it is a different kettle of fish altogether and a completely different order of magnitude in terms of cost (and of course taste).
You will have multiple price points and multiple quality levels when it comes to chicken, probably more than many other meats. Guy Savoy has no issue including chicken legs on the menu of his 3-star Michelin restaurant in Paris.
I would not expect chicken on AA, even in F, being among the most expensive chickens that you might buy but I would not expect it to be among the lowest either. Chicken legs strike me as eminently suitable on an airline F menu as long as the quality of ingredients and that of preparation are there.
Air chilled, organic chicken is way more expensive than the mass produced chicken, and even many steaks. As you suggest, quality ingredients, made with care and a solid recipe, should produce an excellent dish. Even the lowly chicken has a place at a 3 star Michelin restaurant.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I'd prefer chicken legs over chicken breast any day. I don't care how trashy that makes me sound. I don't enjoy white meat nearly as much as dark.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Its a very good thing, I eat before I get on a long haul
rather not sit for 8 to 11 hours with a full stomach.... has anyone seen the bathrooms
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by CitySlacker
Might be cheap, but due to the high fat content, it reheats better in the aircraft ovens. Breast meat can sometimes be tough and dry (for some).
This is what's often lost when people complain about the use of cheaper proteins... Many are cheaper because they have a higher fat and collagen content, but that's what provides both more flavor at altitude when your taste buds are dulled, and more moisture and tolerance to being cooked, blast-chilled, held, reheated and held again. The thing that makes them cheaper also makes them best suited for airline catering, besides any connection to budget.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
I don't see anything wrong with chicken legs either.
Back home (South America) when a whole chicken is served on the table the legs and thighs are the first to be called. Breast is the last thing anybody wants as it is considered bland and dry.
deeruck, Lefly and altabello like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Beef cheeks isn't exactly a prime cut of beef and sea bream is barely more than bait fish. And what is nut-free pesto? That's sort of like tomato-free marinara.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:56 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by fridge5
Does anyone think a chicken leg is appetizing or an appropriate entree?
Yes. As has been noted, the chicken leg, like a chicken thigh or short rib, braises well and holds up to reheating. Especially on an airline like AA (or UA, DL, BA, etc.) where a delicate cut of meat will be ruined by the catering staff, a chicken leg is an excellent option. I'd take it over a breast any day.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by carlosdca
I don't see anything wrong with chicken legs either.
Back home (South America) when a whole chicken is served on the table the legs and thighs are the first to be called. Breast is the last thing anybody wants as it is considered bland and dry.
While I like chicken legs and thighs, a bland/dry breast can be eliminated with proper preparation and cooking.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The question is, is the chicken local? Is it Colin?

Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by halls120
While I like chicken legs and thighs, a bland/dry breast can be eliminated with proper preparation and cooking.
I agree to a point... You can season it with other flavors, but you can't easily, naturally give a breast more chicken flavor without incorporating other chicken parts. Similarly, half of the outside factors that cause the dryness are outside the caterer's control -- which is what makes lean proteins in general so risky for airline use. The point isn't that it's impossible to make a chicken breast (or any lean protein) moist and flavorful inflight, it's just that when you're starting with a cut that's dryER and blandER, you already have two strikes against the success of the dish.
Beltway2A likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.