Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Orders 50 Airbus A321XLR at 2019 Paris Airshow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Airbus A321XLR
merican ordered 50 Airbus A321XLR at the June Paris Airshow held at Paris - Le Bourget airport. 30 of these replace previously ordered A321neo, 20 are new orders. These will largely fulfill the roles of the departing Boeing 757-200. Airbus announced first deliveries of the XLR to start in 2023.

The Airbus A321XLR will reportedly have over 90% compatibility with, and will use the same basic engines as, the A321neo. With a range at ~101 metric tons of up to 4,700 nm, @5% more than the A321LR, the longest range of any narrowbody commercial aircraft. The aircraft will offer a 30% fuel savings compared to current comparable aircraft.

The aircraft can accommodate 180-220 passengers in two class configuration. AA is reported by several sources as seeking to fly these with all aisle access lie flat bed seats in Business, Premium Economy. Routing is expected to include East Coast - Europe lower demand routes, and likely South America.

“American will take delivery of their A321XLRs over the following timeframe...: 8 in 2023, 22 in 2024, 20 in 2025” - OMAT

Launch customers for the A321XLR were Steven F. Udvar-Házy‘s Air Lease Corporation (27) and Middle East Airlines of Lebanon, (4). Other airlines ordering A321XLR directly or through lessors include, additionally to AA, Aer Lingus, Frontier, Iberia, JetSMART (Chile), Jetstar, Qantas, Wizz Air.

OMAT
published range maps from GC

Maps:

Links to sources
Link to Is The Airbus A321XLR Vaporware Or The New Long-Range Leader?, Michael Goldstein, Forbes, 19 Jun 2018 (early speculation)
JonNYC original “hearing from multiple angles that an AA order for the A321LR is imminent, potentially at the Paris air show” was 31 May 2019, quoted in this thread on airliners.net.
Link to Airbus launches longest range single-aisle airliner: the A321XLR, Airbus, 17 Jun 2019
Link to Airbus Launches The A321XLR, The Longest Range Narrow Body Plane Ever, by Ben (Lucky), OMAT, 17 Jun 2019
Link to American Airlines agrees to order 50 Airbus A321XLRs,Airbus, 19 Jun 2019
Link to American Airlines Orders 50 Airbus A321XLRs, Ben (Lucky, 19 Jun 2019 OMAT
Link to American Airlines to become the first US airline to order new Airbus plane Phil LeBeau, CNBC, 19 Jun 2019 (It was actually Frontier who ordered first)
Print Wikipost

AA Orders 50 Airbus A321XLR at 2019 Paris Airshow

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by aztimm
Perhaps AA didn't do it, but US and others flew the B757 from East Coast hubs to Europe in the past.
United's day flight IAD-LHR is currently a 752. 7h40 of narrowbody goodness
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by CLTRob
I hope these planes will allow CLT to have year-round flights to Dublin, Paris, and Madrid being it is an oneworld hub. I would also like to see CLT to AMS!
At this point anything over the old usair 321s is an upgrade out of CLT
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
Amen to that. Those seats would be a terrible decision, and a definite step back. (Which means that is probably what current management will select.)
Those passengers wants more space and better legroom. They want to get a better seats. They have to be 31'' inches, not 27 or 28 inches. which is terrible. They are very uncomfortable.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by CLTRob
I hope these planes will allow CLT to have year-round flights to Dublin, Paris, and Madrid being it is an oneworld hub. I would also like to see CLT to AMS!
I’m fascinated by what these planes mean for the southeastern US hubs like CLT, MIA, and ATL (DL). Could open up new TATL routes that have never before been operated.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by deeruck
United's day flight IAD-LHR is currently a 752. 7h40 of narrowbody goodness
I don't understand posts like this. Westbound US transcons often push 6-7 hours. But somehow that's ok? That extra 30 min to cross the Atlantic is the back breaker?
phlwookie likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName

I’m fascinated by what these planes mean for the southeastern US hubs like CLT, MIA, and ATL (DL). Could open up new TATL routes that have never before been operated.
I added DFW and MIA range maps to my post above. Great Circle Mapper makes it easy to enter an airport and range, and see the results. E.g. for CLT, enter 4700nm@CLT into the range box and click. HNL, EZE, SCL, MVD, CMN, BLQ, lots of interesting possibilities.
Attached Images  
GTITAN likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 20, 2019 at 10:01 am
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
I added DFW and MIA range maps to my post above. Great Circle Mapper makes it easy to enter an airport and range, and see the results. E.g. for CLT, enter 4700nm@CLT into the range box and click. HNL, EZE, SCL, MVD, CMN, BLQ, lots of interesting possibilities.
Thanks! I was wondering about DFW - everyone seems to be focusing on how AA will optimize the east coast with these, but I have a feeling it opens up a lot for DFW too. Airbus has hit it out of the park here it seems.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by no1cub17
I don't understand posts like this. Westbound US transcons often push 6-7 hours. But somehow that's ok? That extra 30 min to cross the Atlantic is the back breaker?
What are you talking about? Where did I say a 7 hr narrowbody transcon would be ok? It's not really worth talking about it though, unless an airline has suggested upgauging a domestic route (beyond the one offs that occur for positioning).
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Exactly. Once when I was flying PHL-PHX on a B757 the pilot joked how it would be faster to just fly to Dublin. It was in Nov or Dec, and we really had to fight a very strong jetstream the whole way.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks! I was wondering about DFW - everyone seems to be focusing on how AA will optimize the east coast with these..
Because that's the information (both inside intel and public statements) at this juncture.

JFK/PHL initially. Followed by possibility of CLT. Lowest on the list at present, DFW.
JDiver, GTITAN and loosecanyn like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:38 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Perhaps AA didn't do it, but US and others flew the B757 from East Coast hubs to Europe in the past. I only flew on one once, on CO LIS-(GLA)-EWR (fuel stop due to volcano mess), and it was a far better experience than the B767 or A330 in coach. I don't recall any issues with the lavs. They actually did drink/snack service between LIS and GLA, then did the full drink/meal service after we got going from GLA, so carts were in the aisles quite a bit. From what I remember, most of the B757's had a forward lav in Y (just in front of door 2L), then 2 more in the back. If this new A321 variant is similar, I really don't see any problems.
AA flew JFK-CDG on a 757 not that long ago
JDiver, aztimm and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Thanks! I was wondering about DFW - everyone seems to be focusing on how AA will optimize the east coast with these, but I have a feeling it opens up a lot for DFW too. Airbus has hit it out of the park here it seems.
From DFW it opens up about the same to the west and south as CLT; some Eastern European destinations wouldn't be doable.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Perhaps AA didn't do it, but US and others flew the B757 from East Coast hubs to Europe in the past. I only flew on one once, on CO LIS-(GLA)-EWR (fuel stop due to volcano mess), and it was a far better experience than the B767 or A330 in coach. I don't recall any issues with the lavs. They actually did drink/snack service between LIS and GLA, then did the full drink/meal service after we got going from GLA, so carts were in the aisles quite a bit. From what I remember, most of the B757's had a forward lav in Y (just in front of door 2L), then 2 more in the back. If this new A321 variant is similar, I really don't see any problems.
I find dealing with the carts to be much more annoying on domestic narrowbodies than domestic widebodies (and unicorns too ). Though I've never flown a transatlantic narrowbody flight (yes, LAA had them), I can't imagine how the cart situation would be better.

Yes, a forward lav is necessary, but the trend in recent years has been to remove them/not include them. I hope they would make a different decision on a long haul configuration, but I'm not optimistic.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I know these are LUS routes, but AA still currently flies from PHL to Shannon (SNN) and Edinburgh (EDI) using the 752. It'd be routes like these that would seem to be a simple switch from the 752 to the 321XLR when it comes time.
JDiver, ikwia, aztimm and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by JDiver
Long shot but wonder if they'd open any Africa routes? Casablanca for when Royal Air Maroc joins OW? Seems like you can reach a fair bit of west Africa on that map, like Dakar and Accra - but I'm not sure what the demand is.
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by rdurlabhji; Jun 21, 2019 at 3:05 pm Reason: wrong hub

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.