Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Orders 50 Airbus A321XLR at 2019 Paris Airshow

Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Airbus A321XLR
merican ordered 50 Airbus A321XLR at the June Paris Airshow held at Paris - Le Bourget airport. 30 of these replace previously ordered A321neo, 20 are new orders. These will largely fulfill the roles of the departing Boeing 757-200. Airbus announced first deliveries of the XLR to start in 2023.

The Airbus A321XLR will reportedly have over 90% compatibility with, and will use the same basic engines as, the A321neo. With a range at ~101 metric tons of up to 4,700 nm, @5% more than the A321LR, the longest range of any narrowbody commercial aircraft. The aircraft will offer a 30% fuel savings compared to current comparable aircraft.

The aircraft can accommodate 180-220 passengers in two class configuration. AA is reported by several sources as seeking to fly these with all aisle access lie flat bed seats in Business, Premium Economy. Routing is expected to include East Coast - Europe lower demand routes, and likely South America.

American will take delivery of their A321XLRs over the following timeframe...: 8 in 2023, 22 in 2024, 20 in 2025 - OMAT

Launch customers for the A321XLR were Steven F. Udvar-Hzys Air Lease Corporation (27) and Middle East Airlines of Lebanon, (4). Other airlines ordering A321XLR directly or through lessors include, additionally to AA, Aer Lingus, Frontier, Iberia, JetSMART (Chile), Jetstar, Qantas, Wizz Air.

OMAT
published range maps from GC

Maps:

Links to sources
Link to Is The Airbus A321XLR Vaporware Or The New Long-Range Leader?, Michael Goldstein, Forbes, 19 Jun 2018 (early speculation)
JonNYC original hearing from multiple angles that an AA order for the A321LR is imminent, potentially at the Paris air show was 31 May 2019, quoted in this thread on airliners.net.
Link to Airbus launches longest range single-aisle airliner: the A321XLR, Airbus, 17 Jun 2019
Link to Airbus Launches The A321XLR, The Longest Range Narrow Body Plane Ever, by Ben (Lucky), OMAT, 17 Jun 2019
Link to American Airlines agrees to order 50 Airbus A321XLRs,Airbus, 19 Jun 2019
Link to American Airlines Orders 50 Airbus A321XLRs, Ben (Lucky, 19 Jun 2019 OMAT
Link to American Airlines to become the first US airline to order new Airbus plane Phil LeBeau, CNBC, 19 Jun 2019 (It was actually Frontier who ordered first)
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/pres...-a321xlrs.html

Le Bourget – American Airlines, the world’s largest airline, will acquire 50 Airbus A321XLR aircraft, the new longer-range version of Airbus’ hugely successful A321neo. The purchase agreement includes the conversion of 30 of American’s existing A321neo slots to A321XLRs and incremental orders for an additional 20 A321XLRs.
cedric and GTITAN like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Thats the news weve been waiting for.

The old LR - XLR rumor thread has been closed as obsolete. It can be read at Rumor: AA to order A321LR or A321XLR (confirmed - see new thread).

N830MH likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Thanks JDiver! I just heard the news this morning. I think it's great news about this. They will delivery A321XLR in 2025 or earlier.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

From Isom's video this morning:

"8 aircraft in 2023, 22 in 2024, and the 20 options to confirmed for deliver in 2025"
JDiver and N830MH like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
I cant imagine them using F from the 321 transcon to provide all aisle access in J. I think they will do something similar to unite Polaris were the seats alternate direction which would still be a fantastic product for a narrow body.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
From Isom's video this morning:

"8 aircraft in 2023, 22 in 2024, and the 20 options to confirmed for deliver in 2025"
Gino Troian likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
Thanks JDiver! I just heard the news this morning. I think it's great news about this. They will delivery A321XLR in 2025 or earlier.
Indeed. AA wasnt the launch order (Steven F. Udvar-Hzys Air Lease Corporation was, with his order of 27, a huge endorsement of the aircraft considering Udvar-Hzys standing in the commercial aviation field, along with Middle East Airlines of Lebanon ordered 4).

Reportedly, AA expects to take delivery of eight in 2023. The A321XLR is expected to begin flying commercially in 2023 because it has over 90% in common with the most recent A321s, but that feels pretty aggressive. As you like to say, let the speculation begin. Though we have a lot of information on this one so far, theres lots to speculate about, including seating to be selected, and with 50 orders exceeding many peoples previous guesses, the routes that will get these.

Maps: 4,700 nm max range ex-DFW, MIA
Attached Images   

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 20, 2019 at 9:49 am Reason: Add maps DFW, MIA
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by morrisunc
I cant imagine them using F from the 321 transcon to provide all aisle access in J. I think they will do something similar to unite Polaris were the seats alternate direction which would still be a fantastic product for a narrow body.

How about the vantage solo? It looks to be specifically designed for this.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I would think half of these a/c will replace the 75Ls. I wonder what the other half will be earmarked for? New routes and/or some downgauging.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: AA ExePlat
So perhaps a new European gateway hub at ART!
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:41 am

Would these be destined for assembly in Alabama?
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Taking a Catious View

Happy for AA if they can make this work, and folks who prefer direct flights to the targeted destinations.

I think I will wait to hear about the experiences from a lot of flyers before getting on a 10+ hr flight on a narrow body. Even 6 hrs can be tough, as I like to get up and walk around, which will not be easy on this type of plane. Give me a large wide body any day, and I'll deal with the need to connect by cooling my heals in a nice lounge .

And I feel for the crew..
SouthernCross and railmatt like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Happy for AA if they can make this work, and folks who prefer direct flights to the targeted destinations.

I think I will wait to hear about the experiences from a lot of flyers before getting on a 10+ hr flight on a narrow body. Even 6 hrs can be tough, as I like to get up and walk around, which will not be easy on this type of plane. Give me a large wide body any day, and I'll deal with the need to connect by cooling my heals in a nice lounge .

And I feel for the crew..
I think those of us who have flown the 757 transatlantic will be happy. In fact, some flights now flown with the 763 might be replaced with this likely more reliable aircraft which is likely to sport an angled flat bed product for all aisle access.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Of course they ordered, Have to do something to replace aging 757's, and it is the only real choice if you want new planes to the gate sooner rather than later. Fills a need for AA, but may or may not prove to be the long-term long-and-narrow route solution.

But not so specialized an aircraft it can't be reassigned to the more traditional narrow-body route pool if the 797 proves to be such a consumer favorite it becomes a competitive necessity.

My only real concern is if the extra fuel creates another center-of-gravity issue requiring a specialized pilot group.

Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Djokison

How about the vantage solo? It looks to be specifically designed for this.
I think you are absolutely correct.

The Future Of Narrowbody Flat Bed Business Class? By Ben (Lucky), OMAT, 1 Aug 2017 - link

From the Thompson Aero Seating brochure:
Attached Images  
N830MH and railmatt like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
I think those of us who have flown the 757 transatlantic will be happy. In fact, some flights now flown with the 763 might be replaced with this likely more reliable aircraft which is likely to sport an angled flat bed product for all aisle access.
Fair enough, but from personal experience, flew the 757 twice on relatively short flights (~ 6ish hours), and in business both times, and vowed to try to avoid it in lieu of wide bodies. Personal preference, I guess.
JDiver likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.