Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How many times can you be delayed, fail standby? - AA SFO-PVD ordeal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many times can you be delayed, fail standby? - AA SFO-PVD ordeal

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: *wood Marriott P-life, *alliance UA MM, AA MM
Originally Posted by CitySlacker
The way I read it, the issue related to the Hold Baggage Screening system controlled by TSA. I am assuming that this caused a backlog of checked in bags to be processed, which delayed processing at check-in counters by AA.
ie carry-on Uber alles
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Good points...I clearly misunderstood IDB.
There was no problem at the kiosks, just walk up and tag your bag. Then stroll to the back of the other line to hand in bags. I picked the slower of the two lines...oops...my bad.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cyberjet
Q2. If you’ve flown enough on AA, would they put you on a UA flight?

Q3. Would it have been any better to fly to Boston rather than PVD (perhaps not an if backup was ex- SFO and/or if checked bags
Must've put a typo in there.
I'll do anything to avoid Logan.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

It evidently was the TSA baggage screening. Passenger screening was fine.

I spent 3 months in Mexico and 2 in Portugal with carry-on, so I'm with ya there. But my brother slipped a bottle of Bunnahabahain in my bag, and I would give that up when TSA pries it from my cold dead hands...
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pt flyer
I’m still trying to figure out how this happened in July....... must br OP’s sleep deprivation.
Oops, yeah and now I've got the raging headcold. It's been quite the weekend.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You are seriously saying that you would miss your flight and ( in this case ) be delayed a whole day rather than just buy another bottle of whisky?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You are seriously saying that you would miss your flight and ( in this case ) be delayed a whole day rather than just buy another bottle of whisky?
*a $60-130 bottle of whiskey* I would have used a kiosk or given it to someone and caught my flight!
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A gentle reminder: this thread is about IROPS, not TSA liquids policy or a bottle of whiskey, even if it is Bunnahabhain. It isn’t related to SFO delays or the OP.

Thank you and sláinte,

nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
The ragging on the OP strikes me as inappropriate. Yes, they misunderstood the meaning of “IDB”. But they showed up at the airport more than three hours before a domestic flight (I’ve never shown up that early, even for a flight on which I was moving from the US to Australia with a corresponding mess of bags) and AA couldn’t get them on their flight. That’s absurd. At that point, I don’t really care whether it’s AA’s or the TSA’s “fault”. The airline has a heck of a lot more sway with the TSA than any individual traveler, and the airline needs to find a way to make sure that a passenger who shows up at the airport three hours before a flight can get checked in. Passing the buck to the TSA doesn’t cut it; the OP is AA’s customer, not the TSA’s. The airline is effectively the TSA’s customer, and they can deal with the TSA. I don’t care if it’s a trip to Iran and the passenger doesn’t have a visa, let alone a domestic flight.

</rant>

But the reality is that given AA’s screwup, there’s not much I see that the OP could have done differently. I think that as a customer service gesture, the airline owes the OP a pretty large amount of miles, or a refund of a substantial fraction of the airfare. For what it’s worth, a British rail operator gave me a 50% refund, as a matter of policy, for a 32 minute delay on a 2.5 hour trip last week. I was rather (pleasantly) shocked. I don’t expect the same from a US airline for a 30 minute delay, but a day-plus delay because the airline couldn’t get the OP checked in? I think significant cash compensation is due (not legally required, but from a customer service point of view), even though the OP was never involuntarily denied boarding by the letter of the rules.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
my parents will have to check a bag at LAX for his cruise and it is 55 days cruise so he cant have a delay for ONE day. what is the advise for how early he need to go to the airport?
i am kind of scared for them now. (they are oneworld emerald emerald flhying business class)
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good feedback which has helped to clarify my understanding/misunderstanding of the situation.
I have popped this up to AA and will post how it all turns out here.
ashill likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Correct. There was a long line to drop bags that were tagged.

TSA passenger screening went as usual.

AA appeared completely overwhelmed by this breakdown on the TSA side. Is it time for the airlines to take responsibility for all flight screening? Just wondering...
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
A gentle reminder: this thread is about IROPS, not TSA liquids policy or a bottle of whiskey, even if it is Bunnahabhain. It isn’t related to SFO delays or the OP.

Thank you and sláinte,

Cute
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbd456
my parents will have to check a bag at LAX for his cruise and it is 55 days cruise so he cant have a delay for ONE day. what is the advise for how early he need to go to the airport?
i am kind of scared for them now. (they are oneworld emerald emerald flhying business class)
Where is the cruise departing from? Are there frequent flights, including on other airlines? What does availability look like for alternates? Is it a busy holiday travel weekend? How easy/expensive is it to get to the second or third port of call? Do you have travel insurance to help pay for that?
All that information is key in assessing risk tolerance.
Normally 2 hours would be fine in 99% of cases and 3 hours in 99.9% of cases, but if the cost of being in that 0.1% is so high (eg, see my comments above) then maybe add an hour or two.
On the other hand, at that point you’re more likely susceptible to non-checkin related issues like a maintenance-related cancellation that is completely out of your control, so 3 hrs might be a reasonable limit, past which point you really don’t get any incremental benefit.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is simply an unfortunate situation. Nothing more.

OP arrived well in advance of the flight, but a delay caused by a government contractor meant that he could not process his bag and he missed his flight. AA then had no availability and placed OP on rolling standby as it likely did hundreds of passengers that day. Unfortunately, it took a few "rolls" before he was accommodated. In the meantime, as he was standby, he was not confirmed and thus he was not denied boarding whether covered by the IDB rule or otherwise.

The delay here was long enough that most travel insurance would pay out something here and that is where OP ought to turn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.