Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weird AA Delay Today: LAS-JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by saxman66
So care to elaborate? What background do you have to make an assumption? Pretty sure I know what I'm talking about.
Director of flight operations.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by audio-nut
Westbound. Eastbound is almost unheard of ....
I had a similar experience RNO/DFW, albeit 737 not A321. 30 passengers off or a refuelling stop. We stopped to refuel at ABQ. The reason given was the temperature at RNO was unseasonably hot, so the assumed take-off weight for that date was not valid.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly2nrt
Director of flight operations.
For Infinite Airways
carlosdca likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I was once on an A321 which made a fuel stop from SAN to PHL due to weather and “congestion” at PHL. That was one flight out of hundreds I’ve taken over the years, probably a “perfect storm,” excuse the bad pun.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
So care to elaborate? What background do you have to make an assumption? Pretty sure I know what I'm talking about.
Technically, at 2,000 feet and 3 miles vis, it is still VFR. But, if the WX was deteriorating, I would put more fuel on.
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by 757FO; Jun 17, 2019 at 11:28 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by fly2nrt
No.

Also no.
Sounds like my last dispatcher!
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by 757FO; Jun 17, 2019 at 11:29 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Hot air is less dense. LAS isn't exactly cool. The plane probably couldn't take off with the full load of fuel necessary to fly the flight plan and have the safety margin for the runway situation at JFK. So they either stop somewhere to take on more fuel or lighten the load. Why this seems to be a mystery is (dare I say) a mystery to me.
C17PSGR, wrp96 and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Perhaps this is a loaded question, but I'm genuinely curious: would the Boeing 737 MAX's increased efficiency have handled this better? (Putting aside the aircraft's propensity to...fall out of the sky.)
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by donotblink
Perhaps this is a loaded question, but I'm genuinely curious: would the Boeing 737 MAX's increased efficiency have handled this better? (Putting aside the aircraft's propensity to...fall out of the sky.)
The main efficiency in the 737MAX is its engines, which burn less fuel and have more range. So yes, a 737 MAX could handle this better (but I confess I can't quickly find the seating capacity to compare).

There is also another factor belly freight in the narrow body world which sometimes happens.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:29 pm

A couple of years ago I was on a delayed departure out of STT. Pilot came on and said the total weight was more than estimated and we'd have to remove some fuel on the runway prior to departure. He specifically made a mention of more luggage than anticipated in addition to his total weight comment. In the same announcement, he said we'd then need to make an unscheduled stop at SJU to pick up additional fuel prior to flying back to the states. No conspiracy.

Can't recall if this was American or not, but 75% of my Caribbean flights end up being on American, so pretty good chance. This thread has me curious; am going to look for the boarding pass and aircraft type.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Of course it's possible to be too heavy after a 14 hour flight. Fuel burn calculations are done to a T and they probably took off at the maximum possible weight in order to land at maximum landing weight in JFK. But since the flight is 14 hours long, it's quite easy for the forecast winds aloft or weather to change slightly and the fuel burn was better than planned. Therefore they were slightly heavy on approach and decided to go around. They easily burned another 1 or 2 thousand pounds to circle around, which would be within landing weights. No conspiracy.
It would be exceptionally difficult to takeoff in a 777, burn 14 hours of fuel, and still be above maximum landing weight.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
It would be exceptionally difficult to takeoff in a 777, burn 14 hours of fuel, and still be above maximum landing weight.
i'm a 777 CA, and had this happen the other day on my last trip. We took-off within 1K of MGTOW and flew for 12:45 minutes at our cruising altitude, and ended up landing about 20K below our MLW. Average fuel burn was 16K pounds per hour, so we didn't get below our MLW until 11:30 minutes into flight.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by 757FO
i'm a 777 CA
Promotion is not yet showing in the FT username system
dciolli likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by 757FO
i'm a 777 CA, and had this happen the other day on my last trip. We took-off within 1K of MGTOW and flew for 12:45 minutes at our cruising altitude, and ended up landing about 20K below our MLW. Average fuel burn was 16K pounds per hour, so we didn't get below our MLW until 11:30 minutes into flight.
Very interesting. That's still 2.5 hours less flying time or +/- 40K lbs of fuel but I concede your point that the poster who claimed "14 hours" likely didn't mean it as an exact time enroute. While I had ballpark numbers for 777 weights and fuel burns, obviously your real world numbers are better!

Do you commonly takeoff that close to MTOW?

In the bizav world, OEMs (or at least one of them) are obsessed with getting their MLW/MTOW split as narrow as possible to afford maximum unrefueled range.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Promotion is not yet showing in the FT username system
LOL, I know! I made the switch about 3 months after I joined FT.

The 777 is an amazing airplane, but I miss the 757/767 sometimes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.