Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Gate Agent “couldn’t” add us upgrade list. Is there a deadline, or gate agent issue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Agent “couldn’t” add us upgrade list. Is there a deadline, or gate agent issue?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
Just as a general PSA, I have had lots of issues ending up on the upgrade list recently when either A) rebooked day-of departure (IROP-related) or B) with award tickets.

Both of these apparently have quirks that make it so one isn't added to the airport list. Assuming there's nothing complicated (like 4 people on a record and splitting), the kiosks can actually add you to the airport list (reservations agents cannot, and gate agents may not want to).
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by stewlevine
But a benefit is a benefit and a deadline is a deadline and when you hit the letter of the rule, you should be able to take advantage.

likewise... when you play with fire (or time, in this instance), you assume a reasonable expectation of getting burned
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by MGW2000
Assuming there's nothing complicated (like 4 people on a record and splitting), the kiosks can actually add you to the airport list (reservations agents cannot, and gate agents may not want to).
Please describe the process. My status is back to Gold on a comp status. Little chance it will normally work out for me, but on the occasional ride with our EXP son who knows?

An electronic do it yourself option should be of interest to the general board. Relying on the kindness and perfect input execution of strangers, who are primarily responsible for getting the plane loaded on time and the door closed, is not a reliable plan. Maybe it should be. But not in 2019.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by stewlevine
Then something has changed because I have been able to do exactly this the last two years on this exact route.
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles

How is it incorrect?

To upgrade a companion on a reservation with multiple people, you need to split the booking. To get free luggage for all in your party, they all need to be on the same booking.

So the decision ultimately needs to be made what’s more important the upgrade or the free luggage .
It's incorrect because you CAN request the upgrade at the gate, well past the time you checked the luggage. So you do not need to choose either or. As stewlevine mentioned, he has done this several times in the past. I also just did it twice on a trip this past December. (Requested the upgrade at the gate, when traveling with family of 4, all on same PNR)
Low_Value_Elite likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
Originally Posted by jayer
Please describe the process. My status is back to Gold on a comp status. Little chance it will normally work out for me, but on the occasional ride with our EXP son who knows?
After checking in (and after realizing not on the airport list), a kiosk by the ticket counter (just go through normal check in process and click upgrade option) or by the gates (click the "Wouldn't it be nice to....upgrade to a better seat" or the like) should do the trick.

As EXP, it asks me to actually re-request the upgrade and tells me it will use ___stickers, even though it doesn't pull them.
GunsOfNavarone likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:02 pm

After checking in (and after realizing not on the airport list), a kiosk by the ticket counter (just go through normal check in process and click upgrade option) or by the gates (click the "Wouldn't it be nice to....upgrade to a better seat" or the like) should do the trick.
After all these years, I never knew this. Thank you for sharing.
GunsOfNavarone likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:09 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
^^This^^

Similar situation for me in CLT last year. Arrived at gate from a tight connection, as they were preparing to begin boarding. EF showed 3 seats unsold (shocking, right?), and the few names on the list had checkmarks next to them. There was a standby list with about 12 people on it. I asked the agent if I could request an upgrade (I was Gold) and he said there were 12 people on the list. I asked him if he meant the standby list, pointing at the screen behind him as it displayed all the upgrades check-marked followed by the standby list of 12. He stuck to his guns and said "no, those are all waiting for upgrades too". I opted not to press it any further, despite him clearly being wrong. I walked over to the kiosk 20 feet away and requested my upgrade there. Within seconds, my name appeared on the upgrade screen with a checkmark. I refreshed my mobile app and picked my seat. When boarding commenced, he was scanning tickets and barely acknowledged me as I passed by. Another example of agents going above and beyond to meet D0.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.