Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Gate Agent “couldn’t” add us upgrade list. Is there a deadline, or gate agent issue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Agent “couldn’t” add us upgrade list. Is there a deadline, or gate agent issue?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle

Flying today DFW-OGG with family (4 travelers) on award ticket - I am EXP and believe I should have been able to upgrade me and one companion. Waited to ask for upgrade until gave luggage to avoid getting reservation split and pay luggage fees. Got to gate ~10 minutes before boarding and asked to be put on upgrade list for me and my wife. Agent claimed the system wouldn’t let her do it. Does anyone know if there is a deadline for upgrade requests (agent claimed “she was the deadline”) - didn’t do at ticket counter because line was too long, and just did baggage check via kiosk.
Did I get to gate too late? AA.com is clear that I should be able to use my stickers and four people did get upgraded. No idea whether they should have been ahead of me or not, but still peeved that I didn’t get put on the list - when I asked for request no one had cleared according to the gate display, but mobile app shows 4 getting upgrade after I boarded.
Anyone know if there is a cutoff I missed? Is there training that needs to be done for gate agents for EXP upgrades on awards? Anything I should do when returning back from OGG?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Cant have your cake and eat it too.

If you want to take advantage of the upgrade benefit, you'll need to split the reservation. System probably wouldn't let her do it since there were 4 people on the booking.

Gotta decide whats more important, the chance of an upgrade or free bags for all 4 people.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
Then something has changed because I have been able to do exactly this the last two years on this exact route.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:38 am

Gate agent issue. For whatever reason, he/she didn't want to add you to the list. Reasons from simply not wanting to put in the effort, to wanting to hold back an upgraded seat for a staff/friend, to even having in their own mind an upgrade processing order different than what the computer would do.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AA PPR
Next time ask them to do it at check-in. From experience if all 4 people check in together at the counter the agents will override the system to waive the bag fees for those that are on the split reservation.
JDiver and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Ten minutes prior to boarding is a very busy time for gate agents, and they’ll often be quite reluctant to do the necessary work required. In fact, it’s likely at that point the gate agents had already processed the upgrade list and were done with that.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Exec. Plat.)
Originally Posted by JDiver
Ten minutes prior to boarding is a very busy time for gate agents, and they’ll often be quite reluctant to do the necessary work required. In fact, it’s likely at that point the gate agents had already processed the upgrade list and were done with that.
^ This.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Asking 10 minutes prior to boarding, especially when it involved splitting a reservation, was probably not reasonable. You should have asked either at the ticket desk, or in the Admirals Club (if you have access) or at the gate at least 30 minutes before boarding.

Even if you had persuaded the GA to split the reservation and add you to the list you might not have cleared, and there is a non-trivial chance the agent would mess something up that would complicate your return trip. And even if nothing was messed up, the two folks no longer on your reservation may have had to pay for bags and/or lose whatever preferred seating in Y you had arranged for the group. All in all, the agent probably did you a favor.
chitink likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
Cant have your cake and eat it too.

If you want to take advantage of the upgrade benefit, you'll need to split the reservation. System probably wouldn't let her do it since there were 4 people on the booking.

Gotta decide whats more important, the chance of an upgrade or free bags for all 4 people.
Completely incorrect.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
In fact, it’s likely at that point the gate agents had already processed the upgrade list and were done with that.
Are you accounting for this part of OP?
Originally Posted by stewlevine
when I asked for request no one had cleared according to the gate display, but mobile app shows 4 getting upgrade after I boarded.
​​​​​​​
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by genotonda
Completely incorrect.
How is it incorrect?

To upgrade a companion on a reservation with multiple people, you need to split the booking. To get free luggage for all in your party, they all need to be on the same booking.

So the decision ultimately needs to be made what’s more important the upgrade or the free luggage .
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
I don't think there is a deadline while boarding is still ongoing.

I remember once arriving ar the gate 2 mins before door closed. I don't remember why but I was not on the upgrade list. GA added me and upgrade cleared. First was half full so was economy.

but what has been said above is true. It can be a very busy and hectic time for the GAs and their first answer will most likely be "no, go away".

Solutions:
Request the upgrade earlier.
or
Wait and talk to the GA when she is not busy. It may not happen until 2 mins before closing and you will board last though
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Yes, we got there close to departure. Long lines at DFW security, but I went to the gate as soon as we got through. All I know is she appeared to be trying to put me on and claimed to be having problems getting me and wife onto the list. But a benefit is a benefit and a deadline is a deadline and when you hit the letter of the rule, you should be able to take advantage.
Low_Value_Elite likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:19 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by stewlevine
Yes, we got there close to departure. Long lines at DFW security, but I went to the gate as soon as we got through. All I know is she appeared to be trying to put me on and claimed to be having problems getting me and wife onto the list. But a benefit is a benefit and a deadline is a deadline and when you hit the letter of the rule, you should be able to take advantage.
Probably because given your specific situation, she needed more than a couple of keystrokes to get you on the upgrade list
GAs are not there for your exclusive service. They have tons of stuff do in addition to add you to the upgrade list.
That does not justify rudeness or lying (like saying "CAN'T BE DONE!!" instead of saying "I can do it, but I am very busy with other tasks, once I finish with my other tasks and If still possible, I will add you to the list, sir")

Arrive earlier. Not sure what other practical advice there is.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I think that getting there 10 minutes prior is ... well too close ... maybe next time try 30 minutes if you need something like that done
chitink likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.