Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA international milesaaver ticket, last leg AS (Alaska), can standby?

Old Jun 15, 19, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Location: San Francisco, CA Frmr AA Plat AW Plat Frmr UA 1K Frmr HGP Plat now just UA 1MM/1P

Hi,
I searched and looked at the various standby threads, but they don't cover this specific case.
I'm looking to book a milesaaver ticket for my wife that connect LHR-SEA-SFO. The LHR-SEA arrives at 11:30 am, but the only present inventory is 10:20 pm SEA-SFO.
There are 8 flights between when she arrives and 10:20 pm.
Will she be able to standby on one of those? I assuming a $25 change fee?
Old Jun 15, 19, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by c1ue View Post
Hi,
I searched and looked at the various standby threads, but they don't cover this specific case.
I'm looking to book a milesaaver ticket for my wife that connect LHR-SEA-SFO. The LHR-SEA arrives at 11:30 am, but the only present inventory is 10:20 pm SEA-SFO.
There are 8 flights between when she arrives and 10:20 pm.
Will she be able to standby on one of those? I assuming a $25 change fee?
Since the standby would be from one AS flight to another AS flight, AS' policies and fees -- if any -- would apply. Perhaps ask in the AS forum?

Note that you might be able to switch to an earlier, confirmed AS SEA-SFO flight for free if a MileSAAver seat should open up. (The possibly complicating factor might be married-segment availability -- if that even applies on a BA/AS AAdvantage award.) To make that (free) change, you would call AA.
Old Jun 15, 19, 1:33 pm

At least on an F ticket with Alaska, this is definitely possible for free. I did exactly this on a recent return from Japan and wasn't charged.
Old Jun 15, 19, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Hereís the Alaska policy. For SEA-SFO (ie neither a shuttle route nor intra-California), it's $50 except free in Y/Z (refundable economy, cash or award) or F/D (refundable first, cash or award). Since itís a partner award, the OP wonít be in the refundable fare buckets which are for use with AS miles only. So by the policy, it will be a $50 fee (but it sounds like they may allow it in practice in first based on the other report). Confirmed only, no standby, but I think thereís a pretty good chance there will be some flight in that very long window with availability for same day changes.
c1ue likes this.
Old Jun 16, 19, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Location: San Francisco, CA Frmr AA Plat AW Plat Frmr UA 1K Frmr HGP Plat now just UA 1MM/1P
Folks,
Thanks so much for your help.
I normally fly UA, but have a lot of AA miles as well.
I appreciate the shared experience (Allthem) and the AS policy research. I had looked at the AS web site, but it was not at all clear what the situation is regarding either mileage tickets (I had assumed a mileage ticket was equivalent to Y). The fact that most of the itinerary is AA and I'm using AA miles, however, made me nervous.
The wife sitting in Seattle for 11 hours, unable to even try to take an earlier flight, before getting home - doesn't make for a positive outcome...
Old Jun 16, 19, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by c1ue View Post
Folks,
Thanks so much for your help.
I normally fly UA, but have a lot of AA miles as well.
I appreciate the shared experience (Allthem) and the AS policy research. I had looked at the AS web site, but it was not at all clear what the situation is regarding either mileage tickets (I had assumed a mileage ticket was equivalent to Y). The fact that most of the itinerary is AA and I'm using AA miles, however, made me nervous.
The wife sitting in Seattle for 11 hours, unable to even try to take an earlier flight, before getting home - doesn't make for a positive outcome...
She absolutely can try to take an earlier flight. There will just have to be availability to confirm it on the day of, which I suspect there will be, and it will cost her $50. Or she could go into town for the day.

Z is the mileage equivalent of Y (refundable award).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: