Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Status Benefits With oneworld marketed / codeshare or ticket on AA metal?

AA Status Benefits With oneworld marketed / codeshare or ticket on AA metal?

Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Who tickets a trip or the “ticket stock” issuer are immaterial to upgrades on AA (though that can make a difference on BA and for participating partner upgrades. An AA marketed and operated flight ticketed on, say, 125 stock, is not treated differently for upgrading as 001 ticketed, though it may cause some issues with ticket reissuing and can make a difference if making changes prior to the day of flight.

Systemwide upgrades / SWU may only be used on AA marketed and operated flights.

AAdvantage Miles and copay upgrades are supposed to be available on AA marketed and operated flights.

Upgrade with miles (most with $ copayment)

Enjoy a higher cabin of service

Use your AAdvantage® miles to upgrade on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle for yourself or anyone you designate. link

For participating partner airline upgrades using AA miles on BA or IB, please see

AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)

Upgrade with miles on partner airlines (aa.com)
GTITAN likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 14, 2019 at 6:55 pm
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bscooter26
Well that's the thing, I called AA and they were able to Waitlist me for a Miles + Copay upgrade for that direction, specifically that leg
The problem is AA re-issues the ticket when upgrades clear, since AA doesn't own the ticket they cannot re-issue it. Mileage upgrades have the same language as SWUs "Use your AAdvantage® miles to upgrade on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines"
My guess is, and I've seen this before on BA/AA mixed itns, where AA will show their flight number on aa.com even though what you're booked and ticketed on is the BA codeshare; so I don't think you'd be able to actually clear that upgrade even if they allowed the WL since they couldn't re-issue the ticket in C. At the airport they might be able to clear it though.
carlosdca likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Holy cow, this thread stimulated some good (and confusing) conversation about upgrades on AA metal when ticket is issued by another carrier.

Originally Posted by donotblink
Yes, however, IIRC I don't think you can use mileage or systemwide upgrades. LFBU should still be there. Milage earning will be based on IB's chart. You can get lounge benefits, 2 free checked bags and pick any Y seat (as long as you're not on a BE ticket).
Thanks for the response. That's all I really wanted to know--if I get sapphire-granted lounge access (which I assumed) and if I could choose an MCE seat once I make the reservation.

How does the system know to allow me to choose an MCE seat versus a non-status individual who bought an Iberia economy ticket? Am I getting the MCE seat due to my sapphire status or my Platinum status? That is to say, does Iberia pass information to AA that I am sapphire and that allows me to get an MCE seat, or does AA recognize me as Platinum after I beria passes my passenger information to them and that allows me to get the MCE seat?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by SEA737
Would you mind sharing how you booked your first vs your second flight?
Sure - both of these were business trips so I have the receipt from each trip nicely archived in my expenses.

Both trips were booked on Iberia.com (USA website). Both trips started with AA 68, MIA - MAD and were booked in Premium Economy class.

Trip 1, April 2019: Iberia 4610, Operated by AA. Booking Class TKN3BA. For this trip, I received a PDF receipt from Iberia called "Your Electronic Ticket and Itinerary" which nicely listed the booking class and other pertinent items. No problem in miles-copay upgrading. Just called into AA and was immediately wait-listed.

Trip 2, May 2019: Iberia 4610, Operated by AA. For this trip, I received an emailed receipt (basically just text in an email) called "Travel Document". The itinerary is clearly laid out, but I don't see anywhere on there the actual booking/fare class that I can report back. Two calls to AA plat line and checked again at airport, but unable to upgrade this itinerary.

Bottom line - I don't understand why one trip was eligible for upgrade and the other wasn't. I booked both trips identically on Iberia.com in Premium Economy class.

Anyway, didn't really care all that much because I think PE is a fine way to make this trip, but curious all the same.

Hope the more savvy folks on this board can help cipher through this.
bscooter26 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
How does the system know to allow me to choose an MCE seat versus a non-status individual who bought an Iberia economy ticket? Am I getting the MCE seat due to my sapphire status or my Platinum status? That is to say, does Iberia pass information to AA that I am sapphire and that allows me to get an MCE seat, or does AA recognize me as Platinum after I beria passes my passenger information to them and that allows me to get the MCE seat?
Your AA platinum status affords one world sapphire status - it is the same thing
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by kg07
Sure - both of these were business trips so I have the receipt from each trip nicely archived in my expenses.

Both trips were booked on Iberia.com (USA website). Both trips started with AA 68, MIA - MAD and were booked in Premium Economy class.

Trip 1, April 2019: Iberia 4610, Operated by AA. Booking Class TKN3BA. For this trip, I received a PDF receipt from Iberia called "Your Electronic Ticket and Itinerary" which nicely listed the booking class and other pertinent items. No problem in miles-copay upgrading. Just called into AA and was immediately wait-listed.

Trip 2, May 2019: Iberia 4610, Operated by AA. For this trip, I received an emailed receipt (basically just text in an email) called "Travel Document". The itinerary is clearly laid out, but I don't see anywhere on there the actual booking/fare class that I can report back. Two calls to AA plat line and checked again at airport, but unable to upgrade this itinerary.

Bottom line - I don't understand why one trip was eligible for upgrade and the other wasn't. I booked both trips identically on Iberia.com in Premium Economy class.
The 1st one should not have been able to have been upgraded - you managed to get an error in your favour
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Your AA platinum status affords one world sapphire status - it is the same thing
I understand that Platinum status affords me Sapphire status. I guess I didn't ask my question clearly.

If a Finnair Sapphire member goes on to Iberia.com and buys an economy ticket on AA metal, I assume Iberia will pass information to AA which allows the passenger to select an MCE seat based on their Sapphire status. Is that how I will be treated when I as Platinum buy a ticket on Iberia.com? Or when Iberia passes my passenger information to AA, will AA recognize me as a Platinum member? I'm just curious more than anything. I guess there is no difference between AA Platinum and OW Sapphire--other than the lounge access, which I'm not sure would every come into play since I don't think you can book a wholly North America itinerary from a foreign carrier.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:53 pm

I understand that Platinum status affords me Sapphire status. I guess I didn't ask my question clearly.

If a Finnair Sapphire member goes on to Iberia.com and buys an economy ticket on AA metal, I assume Iberia will pass information to AA which allows the passenger to select an MCE seat based on their Sapphire status. Is that how I will be treated when I as Platinum buy a ticket on Iberia.com? Or when Iberia passes my passenger information to AA, will AA recognize me as a Platinum member? I'm just curious more than anything. I guess there is no difference between AA Platinum and OW Sapphire--other than the lounge access, which I'm not sure would every come into play since I don't think you can book a wholly North America itinerary from a foreign carrier.
Im lost in that there is no difference between seat selection for a Sapphire member from an airline other than AA or for an AA member holding platinum status.

You would get lounge access regardless since it is an international journey
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Im lost in that there is no difference between seat selection for a Sapphire member from an airline other than AA or for an AA member holding platinum status.

You would get lounge access regardless since it is an international journey
I was just curious if AA viewed my reservation as a OW sapphire or an AA Platinum. Makes no diff. Thank you for the input!
Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I was just curious if AA viewed my reservation as a OW sapphire or an AA Platinum. Makes no diff. Thank you for the input!
OW Sapphire. The same was a a Iberia equivalent or BA silver would be considered on AA.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: AA Exp
The 1st one should not have been able to have been upgraded - you managed to get an error in your favour
With all due respect, I don't think that's right. If it's marketed and operated as an AA flight I'm almost certain you can still upgrade that leg even if you've booked it via a OW partner (usually BA or IB). According to agent I spoke to (and I'll probably call again in a few weeks to double check), I was able to be put on the waitlist for AA38 even though I booked my itinerary through BA.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:49 pm

With all due respect, I don't think that's right. If it's marketed and operated as an AA flight I'm almost certain you can still upgrade that leg even if you've booked it via a OW partner (usually BA or IB). According to agent I spoke to (and I'll probably call again in a few weeks to double check), I was able to be put on the waitlist for AA38 even though I booked my itinerary through BA.
You didn't have a booking that was marketed by and operated by AA

You had a flight operated by AA, but you were booked on a flight marketed by Iberia ( Iberia 4610)

Even when operated and marketed by AA, it still needs to be a ticket where AA can reissue it
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA Exp
You didn't have a booking that was marketed by and operated by AA

You had a flight operated by AA, but you were booked on a flight marketed by Iberia ( Iberia 4610)

Even when operated and marketed by AA, it still needs to be a ticket where AA can reissue it
Huh? I'm not going to Madrid nor flying Iberia. Maybe you were thinking I was the OP of this thread?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:01 pm

Huh? I'm not going to Madrid nor flying Iberia. Maybe you were thinking I was the OP of this thread?
The post that I was replying to, (post 19) which you then said that the information was incorrect, was to do with a booking on an IB marketed flight

I should have looked closer and would have seen that you were not the person to whom I was replying.

Post 19 referred to IB4610
bscooter26 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Sooo... I am on a BA marketed AA operated flight (AA.com was down and got a US to Europe fare for 450 bucks in the summer so grabbed it on BA.com). At check in, thinking about this thread, I inquired about upgrading. Was able to miles + copay at the airport to J.

So, either I also got lucky (along with a few posters above) or the JV buddies have made changes such that upgrades are possible if BA/IB/AY/AA marketed?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.