Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Status Benefits With oneworld marketed / codeshare or ticket on AA metal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Status Benefits With oneworld marketed / codeshare or ticket on AA metal?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Do I get AA Plat benefits with my Iberia-booked ticket on AA metal?

Flying RT from CLE-LHR this summer. AA services that route well. However, the flights are cheaper (by $500 or more) if booked on Iberia than if booking on AA. (The flights are all on AA metal.)

Will I get an Plat benefits while flying AA metal on an Iberia ticket?

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 18, 2019 at 8:12 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
Flying RT from CLE-LHR this summer. AA services that route well. However, the flights are cheaper (by $500 or more) if booked on Iberia than if booking on AA. (The flights are all on AA metal.)

Will I get an Plat benefits while flying AA metal on an Iberia ticket?
Yes, however, IIRC I don't think you can use mileage or systemwide upgrades. LFBU should still be there. Milage earning will be based on IB's chart. You can get lounge benefits, 2 free checked bags and pick any Y seat (as long as you're not on a BE ticket).
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by donotblink
Yes, however, IIRC I don't think you can use mileage or systemwide upgrades. LFBU should still be there. Milage earning will be based on IB's chart. You can get lounge benefits, 2 free checked bags and pick any Y seat (as long as you're not on a BE ticket).
If it's AA metal then you can request an upgrade, you'd just have to book it with Iberia first and then call AA once they have the PNR in their system to request
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by bscooter26
If it's AA metal then you can request an upgrade, you'd just have to book it with Iberia first and then call AA once they have the PNR in their system to request
Even if it is AA metal but sold as an IB flight (IB Flight number)?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Even if it is AA metal but sold as an IB flight (IB Flight number)?
From my understanding, how you can upgrade depends on who is operating the flight. I'm assuming it's AA with an IB codeshare because it's AA metal, and therefore you can call AA after the flight is booked and request to upgrade with miles, and I think with an SWU as well, with where you are on any waitlist being determined by your status on AA. I've just had to deal with this with a long BA booking that has mixed AA & BA metals throughout.

If it were the other way around (AA booking on IB metal) then you would only be able to upgrade with miles from a Full Fare Economy Y or B. See page here
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
From my understanding, how you can upgrade depends on who is operating the flight. I'm assuming it's AA with an IB codeshare because it's AA metal, and therefore you can call AA after the flight is booked and request to upgrade with miles, and I think with an SWU as well, with where you are on any waitlist being determined by your status on AA. I've just had to deal with this with a long BA booking that has mixed AA & BA metals throughout.

If it were the other way around (AA booking on IB metal) then you would only be able to upgrade with miles from a Full Fare Economy Y or B. See page here
It is marketed and operated. So if IB booked, but operated by AA and has an AA flight number, yes. If it is operated by AA with an IB number, you cannot use a SWU.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
It is marketed and operated. So if IB booked, but operated by AA and has an AA flight number, yes. If it is operated by AA with an IB number, you cannot use a SWU.
Sorry to get buried in semantics, but just to clarify in your second line I emphasized, wouldn't that mean operated by IB (and with an IB flight number) but has an AA codeshare, specifically?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Sorry to get buried in semantics, but just to clarify in your second line I emphasized, wouldn't that mean operated by IB (and with an IB flight number) but has an AA codeshare, specifically?
This is from the the Iberia website.
It will be ticketed by Iberia, operated by AA and is flight number IB4027.
If what Antarius mentions is correct, IB4027, ticketed as such, is not eligible for SWU upgrade or miles+copay.

(The flight is really AA108, BTW)

JDiver and Antarius like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
For an SWU to be usable, the flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines. IB coded on AA metal, no se puede.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
I am not sure about this. I have booked that ex-ALG fare through IB before and been unable to use miles+copay to J-->F on the transcons even on AA metal. Also couldn't use BA miles to upgrade J-->F on the BA operated segment. Have had similar issues when trying to upgrade up flights issued by AY.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
For an SWU to be usable, the flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines. IB coded on AA metal, no se puede.
I guess I'm the one misunderstanding the terms. I booked a BA flight that has a MIA-LHR leg on AA that I'm using as reference. On my BA booking it shows as BA1529 but it also shows up in my AA account as AA38. That's the same kind of situation I thought OP had

*FWIW It also says on the booking "This flight is operated by American Airlines"
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I guess I'm the one misunderstanding the terms. I booked a BA flight that has a MIA-LHR leg on AA that I'm using as reference. On my BA booking it shows as BA1529 but it also shows up in my AA account as AA38.
since the flight was booked thru BA, the real flight number for your ticket is BA 1529 (it happens to be AA38 in your account as the flight is operated by AA and you used your aadvantage account, so the AA linked PNR shows up with the AA details).

AA cannot change the ticket or upgrade/reissue the ticket as the real ticket and PNR is on BA.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
since the flight was booked thru BA, the real flight number for your ticket is BA 1529 (it happens to be AA38 in your account as the flight is operated by AA and you used your aadvantage account, so the AA linked PNR shows up with the AA details).

AA cannot change the ticket or upgrade/reissue the ticket as the real ticket and PNR is on BA.
Well that's the thing, I called AA and they were able to Waitlist me for a Miles + Copay upgrade for that direction, specifically that leg
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EP
I have flown Iberia-ticketed but American-operated flights to Madrid twice this year. On the first trip, I was able to use a miles-copay upgrade with no problem and I cleared at the gate (last seat!). However, on the second trip, the AA Exec Plat desk (who my call got routed to somehow despite being only plat) said that my trip was not eligible for miles and co-pay. They said that the Iberia flight needs to be booked in a certain manner (apologies, I can't remember the technical term they threw out at me). I inquired again at the airport and they advised the same thing. So, my lesson-learned is that it is indeed possible to do this, but it depends on how the flight is booked with Iberia. I would assume the technically correct answer is in the prior posts above, which I will gladly reference before I book my next trip on Iberia.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kg07
I have flown Iberia-ticketed but American-operated flights to Madrid twice this year. On the first trip, I was able to use a miles-copay upgrade with no problem and I cleared at the gate (last seat!). However, on the second trip, the AA Exec Plat desk (who my call got routed to somehow despite being only plat) said that my trip was not eligible for miles and co-pay. They said that the Iberia flight needs to be booked in a certain manner (apologies, I can't remember the technical term they threw out at me). I inquired again at the airport and they advised the same thing. So, my lesson-learned is that it is indeed possible to do this, but it depends on how the flight is booked with Iberia. I would assume the technically correct answer is in the prior posts above, which I will gladly reference before I book my next trip on Iberia.
Would you mind sharing how you booked your first vs your second flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.