Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight Changes... No notice - and impossible flights.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Changes... No notice - and impossible flights.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 3MM, HiltonHonors Diamond, HGVC Elite Owner
Question Flight Changes... No notice - and impossible flights.

We are flying to Stockholm for a cruise - and returning from Oslo next month. I went online this weekend to make sure our seat numbers were accurate... and discovered there were flight changes - and I had NOT been notified in any way. Original flights had us arriving in Oslo at 1:10 PM, leaving for ORD at 3:15 PM, where we'd connect to SAT that night. The new schedule had us landing at 1:10PM, but departing 4 hours earlier at 9AM (the same day).

I got it straightened out... but then decided to check our our flight to Kona in September. Yeah, you guessed it. We were to board the connecting flight in LAX two minutes before we're scheduled to land. Why would we be put on flights that are impossible? Again... I have not received an email or notice in any way, shape or form. I've not called them yet... but I'm dumbfounded.

We welcome any insight.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
This is the kind of crap that happens all the time. You did exactly the right thing but periodically checking on your reservations. Only way to beat AA at their game is to stay ahead of them. I'm not sure what you can do differently. AA does send out notifications of schedule changes by email but they're not in real time.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Nothing abnormal with AA or many others... After 3MM with AA you should be used to it. I check my many bookings on a regular basis and also use Check My Trip to assist in updates. I look at the changes as a positive as gives my options may not have had when booking for the price and option to cancel and re-book if pricing decreased.
Beltway2A and arollins like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:40 am

I can't confirm the authenticity of the following information. But, I used to work for a huge travel agency that sold both wholesale and retail airline tickets. I had a friend who worked in the "Air Department". Part of her job was dealing with schedule changes.

She explained that airlines purposely do not send out schedule change notifications in real time. She provided two explanations as to why airline operate that way.

First, schedule changes don't always stick. For flights months away, the airline may make multiple changes to the schedule before they finalize on the "best" mix of equipment and flight times. Instead of sending multiple schedule change notifications, they might wait until the schedule is more concrete.

Second, they don't want to overwhelm the website or the call center. If everyone is notified of a schedule change all at once, you run the risk of getting thousands of phone calls immediately. Instead, they send emails in reverse chronological order (meaning soonest first) by flight date. In theory, everyone that had a flight change on a certain day will be notified at the same time.

Again, that's just second hand information. It's also possible that American dropped the ball and didn't contact you.
Takiteasy likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Even though ticketed as AA flights I would assume BA is involved in this somehow?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA, just like UA & DL, works backwards in time. Your flight isn't until next month and you presumably have BA segments which are not on the same GDS.

This is why experienced travelers routinely check their reservations and take appropriate action. It is worth noting that the auto-rebooking feature is simply the first step. There may well be better or preferable routings and you should always look at those before calling in.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:06 am

Had BA codeshares all on AA metal last month. 1 domestic, 1 intl segment each way.

Outbound domestic changed departure time twice, and I’ll hand it to BA for notifying pretty quickly of the change each time, and it wasn’t even their metal.

I don’t recall ever receiving such a notification from AA in advance. Always had to find the surprise myself (which is why once a week I take 10 minutes to double check any upcoming flights, regardless of carrier.)

Just remember that if the flight changes by more than 30 minutes, you can call and change to another flight. If it changes by less, but puts you under MCT, you can also change to another flight. Just be sure to have options available to feed the phone agent and you’ll be fine.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I can't confirm the authenticity of the following information. But, I used to work for a huge travel agency that sold both wholesale and retail airline tickets. I had a friend who worked in the "Air Department". Part of her job was dealing with schedule changes.

She explained that airlines purposely do not send out schedule change notifications in real time. She provided two explanations as to why airline operate that way.

First, schedule changes don't always stick. For flights months away, the airline may make multiple changes to the schedule before they finalize on the "best" mix of equipment and flight times. Instead of sending multiple schedule change notifications, they might wait until the schedule is more concrete.

Second, they don't want to overwhelm the website or the call center. If everyone is notified of a schedule change all at once, you run the risk of getting thousands of phone calls immediately. Instead, they send emails in reverse chronological order (meaning soonest first) by flight date. In theory, everyone that had a flight change on a certain day will be notified at the same time.

Again, that's just second hand information. It's also possible that American dropped the ball and didn't contact you.
I can verify that both of these are true to a certain extent. Another major contributing factor is that schedule changes are not necessarily done in one single day or even one single weekend. Usually, a major schedule change is done over a weekend period (flights that disappear on Saturday, could reappear on Sunday). Then, the following weekend a "cleanup" is done...tweaking of the new schedule for various reasons.

The best advice is to put it on your calendar to check future reservations each Monday evening (or every other Monday evening).
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

That all makes a lot of sense. Including the "American dropped the ball" part.

(it's also not unique to AA, my experience is that DL has more frequent schedule changes at least on my routes).
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
depends who you booked with.

When AA changed one of my forthcoming flights it was Expedia who sent me the notification as I had booked with them.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by formeraa
The best advice is to put it on your calendar to check future reservations each Monday evening (or every other Monday evening).
Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated. Good to know which day is recommended.

It's not unique that AA doesn't send you an e-mail. In 2019 I haven't received a single e-mail from AA about schedule changes or flight cancellations, despite my e-mail address has been in the reservations. BA, IB and AY are much more reliable in terms of getting the message across.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:57 am
Original Poster

yes, the start leg is BA
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Hi, everyone...
Thanks for the replies... and yes, I as 3+ MM know to check my flights. But I've always received notice of the changes. Also, I've never had a situation where the revised flight landed 4 hours after the next flight is scheduled to leave. To add the the frustration, the AA Agent started blaming/lecturing me about it.

After this experience, I checked all my flights for the rest of the year... and had a similar situation going to Hawaii in September. Flight departure time of first flight changed, so flight is scheduled to land 2 minutes after connecting flight departs. I had to move the flights up a day to take care of it.

I've not flown much since March of 2016 due to some career moves... this seems a lot worse than it was then... or have I just forgotten?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Silverduke
To add the the frustration, the AA Agent started blaming/lecturing me about it.
Can you explain in what way the AAgent thought you were to blame and what they thought you needing lecturing about?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:58 am

the only advice i can give you is to sign up for award wallet. they send me an email anytime there is a change to my flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.