Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How early to start managing possible misconnect?

Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist

I have a flight tomorrow (LGB-PHX-LHR) and I've been monitoring the LGB-PHX flight this week. It was cancelled one day and appears to be quite delayed today. There was a schedule change awhile back that shortened my connection time to 1:35
At what point tomorrow, if I see a delay on the LGB-PHX flight (this one comes in from PHX and just turns around) would AA be willing to rebook me on an alternative? Will they make me wait until closer to the flight before they'll do anything (hoping it'll make up some time)?

If it looks unlikely, I'd rather just get confirmed onto something else from LAX, either a nonstop or connecting elsewhere to LHR. I don't want to get stranded at PHX in the evening and be out of alternatives.

Or is it common that the BA flight will wait for a couple of delayed connections?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
BA flight will not wait for you but it could be delayed for other reasons. The right time to start managing the possible miss connect is as soon as a delay is posted for your flight.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by FAA1996
BA flight will not wait for you but it could be delayed for other reasons. The right time to start managing the possible miss connect is as soon as a delay is posted for your flight.
This is the problem with AA. Many, many times, the delay won't be announced until right before boarding...or even after boarding, even though it is obvious that the flight won't be on time. And then they start with the rolling 10 minute delays. Ideally, you want to address this much sooner than that, but, unfortunately, AA can charge you to change flights if no delay has been announced. If you're elite, it may be worth trying a standby option for an earlier flight if that is feasible.
seigex and JMBResona like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FAA1996
Of course you can also monitor the incoming aircraft and start managing the possible kissocnnect based on that, although its usually at the same time that they will alert you of delay to your flight. And, yes, start managing the possible iasocnect as soon as there is ANY delay to your flight, no matter how short.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
When was the schedule change and did you confirm to AA that you accepted the change?
If you didn't you could call AA and tell them you are not comfortable with the new connection time and check if you can change to maybe one of the non stops from LAX? You lose nothing by calling and asking
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - it was a weird schedule change. They pushed out the departure by :32, but the arrival in PHX was only pushed out by :17. So, I guess they expected to become 15 minutes more efficient somehow. I never accepted it but didn't fight it because the change was so small.

I can't jump on an earlier PHX flight so the alternative would be getting to LAX for the PHX flight or just flying nonstop from LAX.

It's an American Eagle flight and the aircraft is making multiple flights throughout the day. I take this flight pretty regularly so sometimes they do have enough slack in the system that they can make up delays. However, if it's earlier in the day and the aircraft is very delayed, I'm going to start calling AA even if they haven't already announced the delay on my segment.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Update - I monitored the flight all day and the last leg of the day prior to my flight, it went mechanical with an hour+ delay. Found this out as I literally stepped out of my Uber. Would definitely be misconnecting so called AA and got an agent willing to work with me. Everything is sold out on OW and even with UA, DL, VS, etc. I was willing to get anywhere across the Atlantic and then figure it out from there. Finally was put on the LAS-LHR flight but required getting quickly to LAX to catch the flight to LAS.

So, I‘m not scheduled to arrive about 2 hours later than originally scheduled with a bit of stress involved and lost my carefully pre-selected seats.

I’m glad they were able to accommodate me, but annoyed at the whole exercise.
onanisland likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I’m dealing with BS right now...

Currently booked DFW-JFK-LHR-MXP during next week’s planned “extinction rebellion” protests at LHR.

AA is refusing to rebook me.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Rough situation but this is exactly why I book 4 hour layovers on international flights. I’d much rather relax in a lounge for a few extra hours and have that buffer.
scolbath, ksucats and seigex like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:53 am

When you type AA.com into your web browser.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by BOSishome
I’m dealing with BS right now...

Currently booked DFW-JFK-LHR-MXP during next week’s planned “extinction rebellion” protests at LHR.

AA is refusing to rebook me.
In fairness, I wouldn't expect AA to rebook the thousands on its flights to LHR just be of a group of thugs who are threatening criminal activity.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
In fairness, I wouldn't expect AA to rebook the thousands on its flights to LHR just be of a group of thugs who are threatening criminal activity.
Why not? If they are truly thugs threatening criminal activity, AA wouldn't want its crews/employees to be caught up in it.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by formeraa
Why not? If they are truly thugs threatening criminal activity, AA wouldn't want its crews/employees to be caught up in it.
Especially with their own MX rebellion stateside to handle.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by formeraa
I dont know how many flights a day that AA has to LHR but cancelling flights because thugs threaten to disrupt flights at LHR would seem to give the thugs what they want. Plus they say they'll be back for two weeks next month. Should AA allow everyone to change their flights for half of a month?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I dont know how many flights a day that AA has to LHR but cancelling flights because thugs threaten to disrupt flights at LHR would seem to give the thugs what they want. Plus they say they'll be back for two weeks next month. Should AA allow everyone to change their flights for half of a month?
If there is space on the flights that can get me there without touching LHR, I’m not sure why AA is so resistant... It’d make sense if there was literally only one seat left on MIA-MXP that they could sell at a premium but we are only a couple days out and there are several seats available.

You can either fix the potential problem in advance, or have a fire drill on the day of departure. Not sure why it isn’t in AA’s interest to keep an elite customer, traveling in a premium cabin, happy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.