Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

horrible experience with GA in TPA airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

horrible experience with GA in TPA airport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:07 pm

Most pax don't have a clue on the pressure all GA's are faced with. They face a juggling act daily with attempting job 1 (D0) while dealing with boarding, upgrades, standbys, incessant questions, entitled acting passengers, excess baggage, passengers wanting to do things not allowed on their PNR or ticket, etc.
Unfortunately, airlines have instituted policies only thinking of the revenue value before weighing the unintended consequences. The big 3 make around 1M each annually on excess bag charges and about an
equal amount on change fees. The impact on the bag fees is huge for FA's and GA's, and causes ill will, gate congestion, onboard congestion and sometimes fights, and at time, flight delays. (longer boarding times and deplaning times.) . In the event of an evacuation, all these bags have the potential of impeding a rapid exit. There are longer TSA lines as well.
Look at the millions of free publicity WN has gained from their free checked bag and no change fees policy, and they are profitable.
Regarding this blog, there is equal blame for the GA, Supervisor and the OP. Ditch the outside booking sites.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by pedrofs
The big 3 make around 1M each annually on excess bag charges and about an
equal amount on change fees.
You mean 1B?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by giporlos
I must be the exception... I never have problems with GA's... always buy direct from the airline... always pack my important stuff so it can stay with me... always assume something can go awry... always show up on time... always smile... always thank them... never argue with them... and occasionally get some benefit for all that. My day may be coming... I'll take my chances.
95% of the gate agents I interact with are fine, but 5% somehow slipped through the cracks and found out that not only do they want to be miserable, they want to make everyone else's life miserable as well. Seems like the gate agent in this OP is part of that 5%.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:05 pm

Most pax don't have a clue on the pressure all GA's are faced with.
To quote Don Draper "That's what the money is for" . From a customer service perspective... If they suck at it, they need to not do it anymore. That is every job ever created

He needs to do something else or if it was a bad day do better the next day.

If the leadership sucks....well that is where the buck stops.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by HeStoleMyLogin; Jun 15, 2019 at 10:45 am
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
EXACTLY. I wonder, if this is a "horrible GA" per the OP, how he would have felt if the GA stuck to his guns and to policy - stating either you check it or you don't board.

And yes, a complaint will simply make AA crack down harder on "rogue" GAs or cases like this and move even more towards a "no exceptions" policy. If OP wanted to complain, the in-airport management would be best, and it seems they're already aware.

OP's message on Twitter will likely fan the flame further and not lead to anything positive.

The OP was completely unreasonable. Is it that hard to carry some diapers and a can of formula in your hands if you have to? He's lucky the GA didn't shut the door in his face when he refused to check his bag, and see the flight off, instead of calling the Manager.

The OP wants the GA to hand a passenger a plastic bag to turn into their personal item. Who are we kidding here? He claims to travel a lot but suggests things that reflect never having even seen a boarding podium.

Would it have been that difficult to run to the closest Hudson News or any store and ask for a disposable bag? That likely would have been faster than waiting for a Manager anyways. Everything - including a 4 year old refusing to carry their backpack - screams of entitlement.

PS I am Diamond on Delta. Delta's CoC states that, for international flights with a 6-12 hour connection, you can short check to a connecting point. Ok, I dealt with 2 DL agents as well as a Red Coat (a DL first-level Manager) and the Red Coat refused to do it - despite me being calm, having to show them the CoC, and all. In the end, I was told to either board and check my bag, or don't board. I boarded and checked my bag.

At my connecting point, an OSM (Operations & Service Managers) fixed everything.

In my example, the DL Red Coat/Manager level was wrong. For the OP, the GA was actually correct, and he's still peeved. You can't help people like that.

Also, DL doesn't valet tag. Not even for a Diamond 360 in Full J class. Their system literally does not allow it - they either have to use a handwritten tag or change your itinerary so the connection falls within the timing allowed to short check. Folks like OP will only push AA more towards what DL has in place.

Sure, it's in the Contract of Carriage you agreed to when you purchased the ticket.

DL puts in their CoC the policy of short checking on domestic itineraries with greater than 4 hour connection, or international itineraries with greater than a 6 hour connection. I see no such language in AA's CoC at all - very clear and black and white.

Relevant quotes from AA's CoC:

"Checking your bag

You can only check bags on the day you travel, and your bags must travel to the same ticketed final destination as you. Be sure your name is on all bags before you check them.
In all cases, we reserve the right to decide if your carry-on items are suitable to bring on board and if there is enough space in the overhead bins.

If you need to check your carry-on bags, be sure to take any fragile or valuable items like your keys, medication or computers with you on board. Also remove and carry on any e-cigarettes and spare batteries for laptops, cameras or other mobile devices."

See? You agreed that THEY decide if you could bring your carry on (NOT your personal item, which fits under the seat in front of you) with you. Then, at the airport, you made a scene and called the GA horrible, claiming you felt like punching his teeth in, because you no longer wanted to do what you agreed to (it sounds like because of poor planning).
Seriously, lol.

Your diligence at searching for CoC snippets that are not on point- to argue this issue to death is - well, lets just say odd.

Looking at CoC for short checking, when IN FACT, AA allows first class pax to- as you say- short check. The CoCs and the discussion of checked bags therein, is clearly not applicable to cabin/gate check baggage and the complete rules around that process.

Anyway OP, You were in the right GA was being a prick, supervisor over-rode their short sighted actions. The fact that the super 'fixed it' and had the authority to do so, means the GA was wrong. And Id be careful with - [edit] "a poster"- as he seems to be escalating and his responses are getting increasingly personal and confrontational.
omaralt and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Seriously, lol.

Your diligence at searching for CoC snippets that are not on point- to argue this issue to death is - well, lets just say odd.

Looking at CoC for short checking, when IN FACT, AA allows first class pax to- as you say- short check. The CoCs and the discussion of checked bags therein, is clearly not applicable to cabin/gate check baggage and the complete rules around that process.

Anyway OP, You were in the right GA was being a prick, supervisor over-rode their short sighted actions. The fact that the super 'fixed it' and had the authority to do so, means the GA was wrong. And Id be careful with - [edit] "a poster"- as he seems to be escalating and his responses are getting increasingly personal and confrontational.
thanks. Ya I was thinking that that poster may work as a GA for AA . Anyways thanks for all the responses. I’m glad to see that most people see reason and agree with me.
LINDEGR likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: Global Entry
I really don't appreciate folks traveling with multiple kids that don't come ready to the gate, carry multiple carry-on/personal items, make a scene at the gate, AND broadcast their shortcomings/frustrations in a public internet forum.

Rule #2 if in doubt always consult flyertalk prior to embarking on a trip, not after

COI statement: I am not and have never been a GA nor do I ever plan on becoming one.
USFlyerUS, mathprof, joeyE and 5 others like this.

Last edited by flyinggum; Jun 15, 2019 at 7:01 am
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyinggum
I really don't appreciate folks traveling with multiple kids that don't come ready to the gate, carry multiple carry-on/personal items, make a scene at the gate, AND broadcast their shortcomings/frustrations in a public internet forum.

Rule #2 if in doubt always consult flyertalk prior to embarking on a trip, not after

COI statement: I am not and have never been a GA nor do I ever plan on becoming one.
agreed. Hence why we travel light and fast. We board faster than most.

Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Most people on this board don't agree with you.

That's why your posts get 1 or 2 likes, and the posts that took an opposite stance had 8 or more likes.

That's why more of the posts here don't support what you did. The few that supported you are in the minority. Basic math of counting posts, and not being delusional.
No. There are those of you that no matter what, you'll defend AA to the death. Some of you take any type of complaint against AA so personally, it's comical. I learned very quickly to take anything said on FT with a massive grain of salt. No matter what someone says or asks, there are always a few of you that are ready with a snarky or condescending answer. The "sticklers to the rule" posts crack me up. Let me guess, no one on FT ever drives 65 in a 60 mph zone, and if they do they turn themselves in!
rickg523 likes this.

Last edited by no1cub17; Jun 15, 2019 at 9:41 am
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by flyinggum

What does any of this have to do with OP? For a party of five, he brought ONE carry-on. ONE! Just wow.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by no1cub17
No. There are those of you that no matter what, you'll defend AA to the death. Some of you take any type of complaint against AA so personally, it's comical. I learned very quickly to take anything said on FT with a massive grain of salt. No matter what someone says or asks, there are always a few of you that are ready with a snarky or condescending answer. The "stickers to the rule" posts crack me up. Let me guess, no one on FT ever drives 65 in a 60 mph zone, and if they do they turn themselves in!
that’s what I don’t understand and find comical/sad. He’s free to disagree with me. But to take it so personally where he is constantly (wrongly) assuming things and making veiled insults towards me is extremely weird. But again, like I said, I know people like him. I have fun with them and let them stew in their hate and vitriol
LINDEGR and no1cub17 like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Most pax don't have a clue on the pressure all GA's are faced with. They face a juggling act daily with attempting job 1 (D0) while dealing with boarding, upgrades, standbys, incessant questions, entitled acting passengers, excess baggage, passengers wanting to do things not allowed on their PNR or ticket, etc.
Unfortunately, airlines have instituted policies only thinking of the revenue value before weighing the unintended consequences. The big 3 make around 1M each annually on excess bag charges and about an
equal amount on change fees. The impact on the bag fees is huge for FA's and GA's, and causes ill will, gate congestion, onboard congestion and sometimes fights, and at time, flight delays. (longer boarding times and deplaning times.) . In the event of an evacuation, all these bags have the potential of impeding a rapid exit. There are longer TSA lines as well.
Look at the millions of free publicity WN has gained from their free checked bag and no change fees policy, and they are profitable.
Regarding this blog, there is equal blame for the GA, Supervisor and the OP. Ditch the outside booking sites.
For a major airline, $1,000,000 would be small change or a rounding error.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
As they always say, there are two sides to every story. To the OP, a couple of things you said early on here, about wanting to tell the guy to [do something obscene] and feeling like you wanted to punch his teeth in made me think, hmmmm ... No, you didn't actually do either of those things, but it made me wonder how much the situation was escalated unnecessarily on both sides. I wonder what we'd hear from the GA.

I see this thread is trending on the FT portal page with a title that says: "Have we become too lenient with rude gate agents?" Is that an accurate title to what happened here? The jury is still out in my book.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
As they always say, there are two sides to every story. To the OP, a couple of things you said early on here, about wanting to tell the guy to [do something obscene] and feeling like you wanted to punch his teeth in made me think, hmmmm ... No, you didn't actually do either of those things, but it made me wonder how much the situation was escalated unnecessarily on both sides. I wonder what we'd hear from the GA.

I see this thread is trending on the FT portal page with a title that says: "Have we become too lenient with rude gate agents?" Is that an accurate title to what happened here? The jury is still out in my book.
lol. We all think things that we don’t act on. I would never punch somebody unless I was punched first. But yes, I was extremely stressed; being on the verge of missing of our family vacation and running through the airport with 3 young kids. And he knew our situation but still acted like that. I did not wrong him in anyway.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by no1cub17
No. There are those of you that no matter what, you'll defend AA to the death. Some of you take any type of complaint against AA so personally, it's comical.!
+1000

IMO there is a class of people that like rules,,,that NEED rules...rules and authoirty are what keeps them glued together.... and they simply need to believe that their world will be perfect if they can just blame everything on someone not following rules

Get to the airport 2 hrs in advance, to be safe- check

AA cant fix for 90 minutes- happens

Overhead gone, yet one bag has baby supplies- reasonable

Ask to valet check to next destination- reasonable request

GA refuses, is <redacted>- happens

GAs manager overrides prickly GA - SOLUTION.

Heres the thing- the GA and GAs manager HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO DO THIS. Nobody broken any rules. no need to dig up CoCs and argue over short checking.....

But this wouldnt be FT if a large slice of the public HATES the idea that someone requested and received a reasonable accommodation. And they will fight like heck to twist it into their 'fault'

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 18, 2019 at 10:21 am Reason: Redacted offensiveness

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.