Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

horrible experience with GA in TPA airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

horrible experience with GA in TPA airport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
The OP wasn't asking to short check, just valet. I've seen AA do that for passengers in F when there is no space, just as they would for strollers, wheelchairs, etc. The bag is then returned to the jetway upon arrival. I've never seen AA do that for passengers in Y (except for strollers, wheelchairs, etc.). It seems to me the GA followed the policy and got agitated when the OP asked to have that waived, potentially causing a delayed flight during the ensuing back-and-forth and dinging the GA's on-time metrics. The manager waived the policy to resolve the situation.
wrp96 and bscooter26 like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Wouldn’t gate check be the same as short check for someone trying to get around C of C?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Please remember that the term "Gate Check" actually means checking the bags at the gate to your final destination.
"Valet Check" should be used to describe checking your bags from the gate to the jet bridge (or planeside) at the end of that flight.

Unfortunately, many gate agents use the wrong term on regional flights.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by gradboozer
Ok? So you got what you wanted? They gate-checked the bag to CLT.

Guess I'm not understanding what you're asking in this post and I'm no AApologist by any stretch.

GAs can be rude/hateful, but if it ends up with what you asked for, what does it matter? Move on with your life and enjoy the vacation. There are plenty of other things worth getting worked up over in life.
Don’t see why you bothered to respond to OP’s post since there are plenty of other things worth getting worked up over in life.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
The OP wasn't asking to short check, just valet. I've seen AA do that for passengers in F when there is no space, just as they would for strollers, wheelchairs, etc. The bag is then returned to the jetway upon arrival. I've never seen AA do that for passengers in Y (except for strollers, wheelchairs, etc.). It seems to me the GA followed the policy and got agitated when the OP asked to have that waived, potentially causing a delayed flight during the ensuing back-and-forth and dinging the GA's on-time metrics. The manager waived the policy to resolve the situation.
if this is truly the policy it’s asinine. Look at my situation. Traveling with an infant. We have formula. We have diapers. Outfits. Toys. Etc. we have a 2 hr layover in clt and then an 8 hr flight to Madrid. If we had been forced to check it in we would be holding as many of these things in our laps as possible. So you are saying if I am forced to check my bag in and be without these things for minimum 10 hrs? We had no other carry on luggage; we pride ourselves on being able to travel light. I can’t believe that AA would be this out of touch

Originally Posted by Uzzar
Please remember that the term "Gate Check" actually means checking the bags at the gate to your final destination.
"Valet Check" should be used to describe checking your bags from the gate to the jet bridge (or planeside) at the end of that flight.

Unfortunately, many gate agents use the wrong term on regional flights.
are you sure? We gate checked our stroller on every flight and it was ready at the jet bridge on arrival

Last edited by JY1024; Aug 20, 2019 at 11:50 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by omaralt
I’m not a violent person but I wanted to punch the guys teeth in so bad. Writing this makes me feel better
Quote of the day folks!

^

The OP is pissed that the checkin process was jacked up thus them getting to the plane late and by that time all overheads were full. I get it and I'd be ticked off too.

Last edited by JY1024; Aug 20, 2019 at 11:50 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
The OP is pissed that the checkin process was jacked up thus them getting to the plane late and by that time all overheads were full. I get it and I'd be ticked off too.
no I’m not. Stuff happens. The check in agent was amazing and worked his butt off

im upset that the gate agent was unreasonable and rude. Again I’m not sure of the official policy but he had the ability to gate check my bag to clt but didn’t want to. Didn’t even try.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:33 pm

AA does not valet (gate deliver) bags on mainline flights as a policy, except for first class passengers, and staff travelers occupying a jumpseat. Even when they do in those cases, it's always a toss up on whether the bags actually get delivered or not, since most mainline rampers are not contractually obligated to bring bags up to the gate. If they did allow, then almost everybody that had to check their bag due to no space would ask for valet, which would slow down turn times and dramatically increase the workload for ground staff already on a tight schedule. Whether the policy is reasonable in all circumstances or not is up for debate, but that is the policy (as explained by other people above as well).

AA's obsessions with D0 is to blame here. You presumably showed up to the gate late, and gate agent is there to get the flight on time and follow policy. If they accommodated your request, it a) sets you up for a service failure if the tamper doesn't deliver the valet bag to the gate as they are NOT required to do so, and presumably you would have been more upset if that happened, b) sets their colleagues up for failure in the future with the inevitable "they let me do it last time", and c) they risk getting called in for not following policy and/or taking a delay. Unsurprising that they were not willing to bend the rules for you and priority was to get you to comply with the stated policy and get you on board.

Ultimately, you were lucky that a manager showed up to the gate before gate closure and was able to make an exception, and that presumably you got your bag delivered to the jetbridge upon arrival, neither of which are policy or guaranteed. I guarantee no amount of anger or indignation would get them to open the door after it closed, and you would have been SOL on missing your connection because you didn't comply with the GAs clearly stated options which do reflect official policy.

​​​​next time, you're better off just pulling the items you need for travel out of your bag into another carry on (or bring a soft sided reusable shopping bag or something similar). Being stubborn and digging your heels in when your vacation was at stake seems foolish, and you are lucky that it worked out for you this time.
​​​
wrp96 and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:39 pm

Don’t listen to the AApologists. GA didn’t use common sense and was a jack-Asspiration. There is no Justification to treat people poorly and to make up rules that don’t exist. My mama told me that these types of folks are called liars.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:45 pm

The issue of AA’s horrid IT system taking an agent 90 minutes to check in an infant shouldn’t really be glossed over.That is another problem that needs to be fixed.

Software, in general, sucks. AA’s is far worse. Stuff like this shouldn’t happen, but with software it gets passed off as just a glitch and deemed acceptable.

Having an agent fight through those issues does put the best face on a bad situation.

Though, this is for another thread.
PlatinumScum and altabello like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyAA
The issue of AA’s horrid IT system taking an agent 90 minutes to check in an infant shouldn’t really be glossed over.That is another problem that needs to be fixed.

Software, in general, sucks. AA’s is far worse. Stuff like this shouldn’t happen, but with software it gets passed off as just a glitch and deemed acceptable.

Having an agent fight through those issues does put the best face on a bad situation.

Though, this is for another thread.

agreed. Their systems suck. However in the ticket agents situation he did everything he could do to fix the situation and was apologetic. He did everything he could to fix the situation

in the gate agent situation he did the exact opposite

Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The GA broke the rules to help OP.

Neither AA, UA, nor DL short check bags. They all check to the final destination. AA offers valet check to F pax on mainline flights as a special service. OP was not an F pax.

OP asked for and received special treatment. That is fine, but it is entirely wrong to bash the GA.

I'm quite happy that AA (by the way DL & UA) also obssess about ontime departures. It helps people get to meetings on the other end, get home, and make their connections. I see that as a generally good thing.

If OP complains and AA does follow through, the GA will learn an important lesson, e.g. that no good deed goes unpunished. Next time, he and his colleagues will remember that.
cedric and TravisMT81 like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Originally Posted by Often1
The GA broke the rules to help OP.

If OP complains and AA does follow through, the GA will learn an important lesson, e.g. that no good deed goes unpunished. Next time, he and his colleagues will remember that.
Actually, the OP makes clear in the OP that the GA’s supervisor - whom I hope the OP would commend in any correspondence with AA - is the one who short checked the bag.

So ‘no good deed goes unpunushed’ Is hardly the lesson the GA would learn - unless it’s the supervisor who gets taken to task.

LINDEGR likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gradboozer
Ok? So you got what you wanted? They gate-checked the bag to CLT.

Guess I'm not understanding what you're asking in this post and I'm no AApologist by any stretch.

GAs can be rude/hateful, but if it ends up with what you asked for, what does it matter? Move on with your life and enjoy the vacation. There are plenty of other things worth getting worked up over in life.
Are you serious?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:21 pm

Being forced to gate check my carry on all the way to the final destination where I will be connecting to an international flight has been one of my concerns. I did not realize that airlines can refuse to valet check your carry on even if your are connecting to an international flight.

Even though it has never occurred to me these days I adjust my routing to either get a direct flight out of the country or to a point where the local segment is on a small aircraft and all carry-ons are valet checked so you can claim it before boarding the international flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.