Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

No denied boarding compensation if reserved overhead bin space is unavailable

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No denied boarding compensation if reserved overhead bin space is unavailable

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I don't know if other AA stations do this but I found it comical in MSP they were actually using a "clicker" and had a predetermined number of carry-on bags allowed on-board depending on the aircraft type.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by ceieoc
You described exactly what happened. This explains why coach passengers are now permitted to stow their luggage in any unoccupied first-class or MCE overhead bin space before they are seated. AA emailed to say, "some customers seated in the rear of the aircraft elect to put their carry-on baggage in the forward overhead bins as they are moving to the back of the aircraft to take their seat." I never knew using reserved first-class or MCE bin space was an available amenity to all early boarding coach passengers.
IMO the first class bins should be defended from coach passenger luggage. So conceptually I’m on the same page with you. I never really thought of that privilege being extended to MCE but it’s an interesting idea. Much more difficult to enforce in the main cabin...
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:01 pm

OP you said you boarded "on time" and "not late"which sounds kind of vague...if you were for some reason boarding when they were calling 7, 8 or 9, you're hosed.
What boarding group was being called when you started for the line to board?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
If the OP was in fact boarding with Group 3 then this is complete and utter D0 garbage by AA and the GA.

On a mainline aircraft, even on the most elite heavy flight there's no way the bins are 100% full during Group 3 boarding. And this was DFW-DTW, midday Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, which is about the least elite heavy situation I can think of.

Now if the OP was boarding during one of the later groups, then it's unfortunate but anything goes. Even then, in most cases where the GA's say "bins are full you must check" there is still plenty of space left, especially with a little proactive shuffling by pax and/or FA's. Lazy GA's are just using a pax count, group number, or some other arbitrary figure to decide when to force pax to gate check. Which again is more AA D0 garbage.
JDiver, ceieoc and Antarius like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is speculation to suggest that there was space for OP's bag. He chose not to board, so we'll never know.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
OP you said you boarded "on time" and "not late"which sounds kind of vague...if you were for some reason boarding when they were calling 7, 8 or 9, you're hosed.
What boarding group was being called when you started for the line to board?
I was boarding with group 3. Group 4 was also called. As groups five through nine had not boarded, the reserved overhead bins, as well as other overhead bin space, should have been available.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
This has happened to me before. I pulled my computer, electronics, and medications out of my bag and let them have it. It was a handful, but I use small packing cubes for everything but the laptop. They really can't complain about your not putting a lithium battery in the cargo hold.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
As a once frequent traveler with audio, video, presentation, tech, tools and other high value equipment at times, I’d recommend insurance, such as a floater on your homeowner, renter or professional policy... My floaters were not expensive and were much less hassle than excess value declarations et al with the airlines I used.
Non-airline insurance is not only better than excess value declarations, it's the only solution. Excess value coverage purchased from an airline increases the amount that they'll pay for lost or damaged checked bags, but does not change the exclusions: items like camera equipment and electronics have $0 coverage in checked bags, whether or not excess valuation has been purchased.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by ceieoc
I was boarding with group 3. Group 4 was also called. As groups five through nine had not boarded, the reserved overhead bins, as well as other overhead bin space, should have been available.
I can't see how there could possibly be no overhead space at Group 3 boarding. Maybe not right near your seat. Unless the 80% of the flight was Group 2 and CKs not in F.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I can't see how there could possibly be no overhead space at Group 3 boarding. Maybe not right near your seat. Unless the 80% of the flight was Group 2 and CKs not in F.
Or they didn't police the usual 60 or so people that rush when group 1 is called.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
I've been trying to avoid getting into any of the multiple overhead bin threads currently running. But I just can't help myself anymore.

I really don't understand why overhead bins, at least on planes with upgraded high-volume bins, can't be marked as to which seat goes with which spot in which bin. I really don't. It must be harder than I can imagine since no airline I'm aware of does so.

Yes the FA's take prime spots. Usually the front of each cabin on the left side. Sometimes both sides. Also the very back, but unless you are back there with them you won't care. Not to mention overflow from the pilots when they pack out the front closet.

Neither AA or Airline X is going to boot crew luggage into the cargo hold. The didn't do it on US Air either. Nor does everybody else. At least in North America. The airlines want them to be able to grab and quickly hoof to the next plane if they are late. It is probably in the union contracts. So do the people on the next plane who are waiting for a crew.

Whatever space the FA's take is nothing compared to the bin homesteaders who throw in a rollerboard--perhaps oversize, a guitar, their trekking pole, a fly rod--very expensive but without protective case, their "underseat" bag that should be under their seat--high-end leather they don't want peasant luggage touching, their sweater, their coat, their umbrella, and a Don Corleone-size fedora or other really large hat-of-size (HOS). Then they slam the bin shut and declare it full even if it really isn't. Probably before they even get close to their seat, because who can see the open bins 20 rows away and besides, it is easier to grab belongings as you leave rather than wait for people to go past you so you can walk backwards. (Although I do have an amusing story about a random guy who genuflected and ran lead blocker for a prominent former presidential candidate; just to hold back the masses so she could stroll backwards at her leisure from first into steerage to get her suitcase).

Perhaps I'm just bitter since I don't have status anymore, but our preferences do not matter. Only the most anal of FA's will try and protect bins--and if they do so it is usually for the other FA who isn't on board yet. But you can't blame them.

If you have status and an early boarding group; it is in your self-interest to be there early, get on promptly, and claim your space. If you board late and get checked you do it to yourself. Just in case have what you really need in a smaller bag that really can go under the seat in front of you. The flight you assume bin space will assuredly be there is the time you are assuredly the running-late last passenger to board who was transferring from the late connecting flight and barely makes it.

Some things just are. It isn't changing.
ceieoc likes this.

Last edited by jayer; Jun 14, 2019 at 9:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.