Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

No denied boarding compensation if reserved overhead bin space is unavailable

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No denied boarding compensation if reserved overhead bin space is unavailable

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Unless the flight was very, very heavy CK/EXP/PP elite I can't believe that all overheads were filled as Group 3 was boarding.
Yes, these are fake announcements, and I suspect that usually there is space. There have been previous threads on the subject.
C17PSGR, ceieoc and T. Sanderson like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
My tools travel in the belly of the plane in a locked Pelican. I also have insurance for my tools. I board in Group 1 or 2 and rarely use the overheard bins. I like having everything I need within reach. Listen, it's unfortunate but not unheard of. It was your choice to take the later flight.
This makes sense. If the tools are valuable, they could be stolen at any point during one's travels.
ceieoc likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ceieoc
On May 25, I was boarding AA flight 2555 from DFW to DTW departing at 12:30 PM. My boarding pass was for a main cabin extra exit row seat in boarding group three. As the agent was about to scan my boarding pass, an announcement was made that all the overhead bin spaces were full. Passengers were not allowed to enter the jetway with their roller bag as their carry-on was now forbidden to board with no available bin space. After the announcement, passengers with a roller bag must surrender their bag at the gate and, assume all risks of loss or damage for fragile checked bags or, take a later flight if they did not want to be denied boarding for their scheduled flight. On arrival, your passenger bag must be retrieved at baggage claim.

American Airlines advertises on their aircraft that the main cabin extra and first class overhead bins are reserved. As groups five through nine had not boarded, the reserved overhead bins should have been available. The gate agent said once an announcement was made that overhead space is full, the only remedy was to take the next flight, which was AA 2753 departing 6:42 PM. if you want to carry-on your standard size roller bag. The gate agent was also concerned about an on-time departure so they claim they did not have time to check for available closet or overhead bin space. The flight departed four minutes early.

Because of high-value electronics in my carry-on, I waited more than six hours for the next flight. However, due to a mechanical issue of a flat tire on the next flight AA2753, our scheduled departure of 6:42 PM was now 7:47 PM. Why pay more to select a first class or main cabin extra seat if the bin space for your luggage is not reserved and easily accessible as advertised. Flight delays due to an American Airlines mechanical issue on flight 2753 and the lack of reserved overhead space for my one piece of hand carry luggage are frustrating. AA did not offer involuntary denied boarding compensation but instead offered 7,500 AAdvantage miles for the inconvenience of arriving more than seven hours late. Is this fair? What would you do?

Main Cabin Extra overhead luggage bin on American Airlines.
I sympathize, and AA overdoes their implied promises of what they offer, but: The announcement in question is often made even when there are bins available. Once it has been made, expect rigidity and resistance to taking your rollaboard size case aboard. It suck, for sure. You can thank the “D0” memos and emphasis by management on D0 vs customer centered service.

You aren’t eligible for IDB because failing to remove valuables and carrying them aboard as or in a “personal item” size bag is not cause for involuntary denial of boarding, nor is choosing voluntarily to deboard yourself because overhead space is full requiring gate checking your rollaboard sized bag.

That’s pretty much SOP, not only for AA.

For future travels, AA FAs do not police or enforce overhead baggage space even if it’s placarded.

Turns out that the “enhanced bin access” is just going to be the installation of placards on bins above Main Cabin Extra seats noting that this bin are reserved for the MCE seats. However, flight attendants will not be responsible for monitoring the usage of these bins. - link to The Points Guy
As a once frequent traveler with audio, video, presentation, tech, tools and other high value equipment at times, I’d recommend insurance, such as a floater on your homeowner, renter or professional policy, and as previously suggested a secure case like a Pelican. I did that for my photo / video gear and housings, and the single loss I endured was promptly compensated by my insurance company. My floaters were not expensive and were much less hassle than excess value declarations et al with the airlines I used.

Illustration below is Pelican’s wheeled tool chest and other products.
Attached Images    
ceieoc likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 13, 2019 at 12:57 pm
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
@OP Pardon the unsollicited advice, but if you have "valuable electronics" I would recommend not dragging them in a roller case to begin with.

Unless it's been padded to the extreme.

...in which case it will be okay in the hold too.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:50 pm

Carry one of those big, very thin, light weight duffles, stuff your roller inside it, and simply carry your bag on the plane. Somehow a bag with wheels makes it look infinitely larger to a GA than a duffle bag of the same size or larger.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Was the GA actually printing luggage tags for each bag, or was it one of the "leave it on the jetbridge" deals? the latter I would have just walked on board with it and tried to find it, and let the FA take it if there really was 0 space at Group 4... Which I find hard to believe. And if they were taking the time to print bags for possibly 100 passengers, that sounds like a challenge to hit the D0.

All around, poor performance. I think it would be cool if airlines started doing what BA does in Heathrow - on full flights they e-mail passengers and offer them to check their bag for free (at the counter not at the gate) as long as it's carry-on sized.
ceieoc likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by JDiver

Illustration below is Pelican’s wheeled tool chest and other products.
And TSA approved locks. It's a deterrent more than anything. TSA is the biggest weak link in lost/damaged items like this. They LOOOOOOVE to open every Pelican when you take it though security. They aren't so good at snapping the latches back when you check items. The locks help keep the thing together when they forget to latch properly.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
I sympathize, and AA overdoes their implied promises of what they offer, but: The announcement in question is often made even when there are bins available. Once it has been made, expect rigidity and resistance to taking your rollaboard size case aboard. It suck, for sure. You can thank the “D0” memos and emphasis by management on D0 vs customer centered service.

For future travels, AA FAs do not police or enforce overhead baggage space even if it’s placarded.
You described exactly what happened. This explains why coach passengers are now permitted to stow their luggage in any unoccupied first-class or MCE overhead bin space before they are seated. AA emailed to say, "some customers seated in the rear of the aircraft elect to put their carry-on baggage in the forward overhead bins as they are moving to the back of the aircraft to take their seat." I never knew using reserved first-class or MCE bin space was an available amenity to all early boarding coach passengers.
_kurt likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
Was the GA actually printing luggage tags for each bag, or was it one of the "leave it on the jetbridge" deals? the latter I would have just walked on board with it and tried to find it, and let the FA take it if there really was 0 space at Group 4... Which I find hard to believe. And if they were taking the time to print bags for possibly 100 passengers, that sounds like a challenge to hit the D0.

All around, poor performance. I think it would be cool if airlines started doing what BA does in Heathrow - on full flights they e-mail passengers and offer them to check their bag for free (at the counter not at the gate) as long as it's carry-on sized.
The two agents working the gate insisted you leave your roller bag at the gate. After the announcement, passengers were not permitted to enter the jetbridge with a carry-on roller bag. Passengers then had to wait for a receipt if they surrendered their carry-on at the gate before being allowed to enter the jetbridge.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Reserved means it's only for the use of MCE customer. It does not mean you hold a guaranteed reservation for a fixed amount of overhead space.

If only MCE customers used the reserved overhead space, and it was completely consumed, there is nothing in your ticket/reservations/T&C's that entitles you to compensation.

You chose not to board, you were not denied boarding.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by CPRich; Jun 14, 2019 at 11:26 pm
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ceieoc
The two agents working the gate insisted you leave your roller bag at the gate. After the announcement, passengers were not permitted to enter the jetbridge with a carry-on roller bag. Passengers then had to wait for a receipt if they surrendered their carry-on at the gate before being allowed to enter the jetbridge.
This is SOP at many AA stations. Bags are left with the GA and not permitted to be carried down the jetway. In this case, OP notes that bags were to be returned at baggage claim. This would require AA to print tags.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:12 pm

Pelican cases are the cats meow. Love em.

Backpacks are great in this situation. Always have one. Backpack and a legal roller and I’m good for weeks on end.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Yes, these are fake announcements, and I suspect that usually there is space. There have been previous threads on the subject.
The worst one of these I had was on Delta. A redeye 757 that was very lightly loaded, I was boarding towards the end of the Sky Priority group and the GA announced the overhead bins were full and all rollerbags would be valet tagged at the podium and collected on the jetbridge. I just ripped my tag off before I got to the ramp guy by 2L and sure enough, as if it wasn't obvious enough already there was acres of space, both in FC and the cheap seats.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I know that often when I fly on an E175, E190 or CR9 the GA wants me to gate check my shoulder bag which I know will easily fit in the overhead. I take the red valet ticket, shove it in my pocket, walk on the a/c and easily stow my bag.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I smile, let them tag it. The yank the tag as I walked down the jetbridge and board as usual. (When they arent collecting bags at the gate.)

Or ask for a supervisor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.