Wiki Posts
Search

FA Training on Regionals?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat
FA Training on Regionals?

Flying in a CRJ2, sitting in 1D. Two FAs on flight, but it is the very first day for one of them. The older one was training the younger one. I was first person she served. I asked for G&T and a water no ice. She apparently had no idea how to serve a G&T. Younger asked older how to serve a G&T. First, didn't know where the liquor was in the card. Then I was about to get a scotch and tonic until the older FA pointed out that the gin is in the blue bottle (I almost chimed in by saying "and says 'gin' on it). Younger FA then didn't know where tonic was. Older FA had to point out that cup should have more than 2 cubes of ice unless I asked for light ice (I didn't). After several minutes, I get the G&T. The next person asked for something basic and completely befuddled the younger FA. Older FA finally says "why don't I serve the rest of the cabin and you watch."

Seriously, is there any FA training going on for the regional airlines? How can a new FA not know ANYTHING about the drink cart?

Other lovely facts: Did I mention it was a CRJ2? Flight was 3.5 hours delayed. (Older FA feigned ignorance of this fact when person behind me wanted to be comped his double vodka--she relented but was not pleasant about it.) We then sat on plane for 20 minutes after boarding while pilot got new routing. CRJ2 door remained open while a very loud generator right outside the plane made the cabin unbearable due to noise (we couldn't hear FA or pilot announcements, so didn't know why we were just sitting until later). Oh, and the water no ice I asked for? They were out of water. REALLY?!? (Honestly, I didn't even know you could fly without having water for passengers.)
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
The impression I got was that FAs do not receive training regarding alcohols and drinks. One CR7 flight I was seated in F, young FA looked like new hire. British elderly gentleman sitting across asked for Scotch neat to the FA, first FA asked back what is "neat" and the gentleman had to explain it is straight, nothing else, no ice, etc. That should have been a sign. FA got a mini, poured in a glass and gave it to the gentleman. The gentleman had one sip and called FA back, the content turned out to be Bourbon. FA apologized and told the gentleman that she is not a drinker so she know nothing about alcohols, does not know difference between Bourbon and Scotch, both looks same for this FA. This FA said they did not receive any service training about alcohols and drinks. If an FA happen to be non drinker and know nothing about alcohol, then they were put on a flight with knowing nothing about alcohols and drinks in those carts. That was surprising for me to hear that too, I thought least they would have received information as to what is in the cart.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by cyberkarl
Flying in a CRJ2, sitting in 1D. Two FAs on flight, but it is the very first day for one of them. The older one was training the younger one. I was first person she served. I asked for G&T and a water no ice. She apparently had no idea how to serve a G&T. Younger asked older how to serve a G&T. First, didn't know where the liquor was in the card. Then I was about to get a scotch and tonic until the older FA pointed out that the gin is in the blue bottle (I almost chimed in by saying "and says 'gin' on it). Younger FA then didn't know where tonic was. Older FA had to point out that cup should have more than 2 cubes of ice unless I asked for light ice (I didn't). After several minutes, I get the G&T. The next person asked for something basic and completely befuddled the younger FA. Older FA finally says "why don't I serve the rest of the cabin and you watch."

Seriously, is there any FA training going on for the regional airlines? How can a new FA not know ANYTHING about the drink cart?

Other lovely facts: Did I mention it was a CRJ2? Flight was 3.5 hours delayed. (Older FA feigned ignorance of this fact when person behind me wanted to be comped his double vodka--she relented but was not pleasant about it.) We then sat on plane for 20 minutes after boarding while pilot got new routing. CRJ2 door remained open while a very loud generator right outside the plane made the cabin unbearable due to noise (we couldn't hear FA or pilot announcements, so didn't know why we were just sitting until later). Oh, and the water no ice I asked for? They were out of water. REALLY?!? (Honestly, I didn't even know you could fly without having water for passengers.)
I don’t think they receive much training on service. I believe most of the training about the safety’s also I’ll take fresh out of school FA any day over grandmAAs who work longhaul and hate their job and passengers.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I've been on a FA's first flight on a ERJ 140. She was slow figuring out the cart too, but I don't recall anything particularly bad about it and she got through the cabin in time. She was so excited about it being her first flight and did a cabin selfie with the passengers after landing.

Honestly, I would chalk this up to a least substantial thing to complain about. Fresh FA's hopefully are well trained on safety, emergency procedures, operations, and the basics of the aircraft. Serving drinks effectively can easily be learned on the job.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Honestly, I would chalk this up to a least substantial thing to complain about. Fresh FA's hopefully are well trained on safety, emergency procedures, operations, and the basics of the aircraft. Serving drinks effectively can easily be learned on the job.
I understand, but those who pay tens of thousands of dollars to fly international F often do care. And for airlines that is where big chunk of money comes from. Airlines operate as for profit organization, not non-profit organization, have to know where big chunk of money is coming from and have to able to attract those customers who are responsible for big chunk of their profits. Many non-U.S. airlines seems to understand that concept but I not sure if many U.S. airlines do follow that thinking.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life

Originally Posted by MarkOK
Serving drinks effectively can easily be learned on the job.
Agreed - I bet it takes about 2 flights to learn the drink cart.

When I’m at a bar, I’ll send back an incorrect pour.

When I’m in F on a 90 minute regional, I’ll take what I get. To make all things easier, I am very specific with what I want: 1) “Tito’s Vodka with only ice”; or 2) “Woodford Reserve with no ice”. It usually works, and if I add a smile, I often get repeat service!

Honestly the biggest issue I ever have with beverage service is when I order Diet Dr. Pepper and they hear Diet Coke!

I have bigger things to worry about.
bscooter26 and MarkOK like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I understand, but those who pay tens of thousands of dollars to fly international F often do care. And for airlines that is where big chunk of money comes from. Airlines operate as for profit organization, not non-profit organization, have to know where big chunk of money is coming from and have to able to attract those customers who are responsible for big chunk of their profits. Many non-U.S. airlines seems to understand that concept but I not sure if many U.S. airlines do follow that thinking.
1. The flight was with a CRJ 200 per the OP on a regional jet. FA's in F on international flights aren't new.

2. The few people that get upset about a new FA not being trained to serve drinks effectively on their first flights are the kind of narcissistic customers that aren't probably worth nearly as much as they think they are to the airline.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Regionals tend to have a lot of turnover and don't spend an extra week of training to cover drinks or plating. The mainline carriers do. And, of course, considering the wage rates and employment contracts, Qatar can afford to spend more time training on those things.

Then they have to do a few flights of IOC before they can work on their own, which gives them more time to learn. And there are a lot of nice pax out there who will give them a break and help the learn. After all, when many of us started, we weren't that knowledgeable about our job.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Cut the FA some slack. They didn't get into the air travel business to be bartenders. We were all new once.
C17PSGR, enpremiere and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat
Perhaps the title of my post wasn't clear. This was less a knock on the FA (although reading a bottle label seems like a low bar to clear). It is a knock on the company for sending someone to do a job for paying customers when the person hasn't been trained to do that exact job. I'm hopeful the FA was trained on safety, but is it too much to expect the person to be trained for an hour on how a drink cart works when that is the one thing they will certainly be expected to do on day 1? Maybe it is too much to expect. If so, so be it. Funny, there are plenty of sarcastic jokes about how FAs are "primarily here for our safety" and the boards are full of complaints about PDBs and other petty slights. I happen to note that an FA is clueless due to poor training and get a bunch of "cut the FA some slack" comments. For the record, I did. I smiled, thanked her several times and couldn't have been more pleasant. Apologies for the narcissistic expectation that American and its regionals should train FAs on basic components of their job before being sent into the field. As you were.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
that is not as bad , as it is on BA when asking for a G and T with lots an lots of ice... it comes with one or two cubes..if your lucky..
but I also have found new FA tend to try very hard..
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
My partner used to train flight attendants for an AA regional. Yes, they get mixology training - about 30 minutes of it on the last day of their 4 weeks of training.
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by Grsdo
My partner used to train flight attendants for an AA regional. Yes, they get mixology training - about 30 minutes of it on the last day of their 4 weeks of training.
Pop Quiz ! A gin & tonic contains _______ and _______.

I've actually had a regional FA ask me "what's in that ?" when I ordered a gin & tonic.
wetrat0 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
I wasn't aware of the new rule that all alcohol is free for everyone if the flight is delayed
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:24 pm

A regional FA on her first day, will not be working international first, trust me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.