Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA problems are becoming tougher to fix when there is a lack of buy in

AA problems are becoming tougher to fix when there is a lack of buy in

Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by fotographer
I think that most of us on this board can see where problems are with AA, from the management down.. but once again we are only probably less then .5% of the passengers who fly AA
Their planes are running full, and unfortunately most passengers dont have the time to submit a note for bad service or lack of service,probably because they dont fly AA enough times?
I myself, having been using other OW airlines to get to where I need to be.. on the whole been very happy, got a TATL flight on AA in a few weeks, (my first of this year) lets see
Good luck!
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by formeraa
The board needs to get rid of Dougie and get a real leader... Does Bob Crandall have a son or even a grandson trained in finance/management???
I agree Parker must go. What AA needs is the next Richard Anderson.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Finance/Management? HOW ABOUT, wait for it..... wait for it....

A SALES GUY/GAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Todays Millenials, GenXers, etc. with their fancy Harvard, Wharton, and heaven forbid(!) stanford MBA's are truly & totally lost, and clueless, if they can't spreadsheet/Excell the unspreadsheetable. Sales.

Point 1. The definition of a salesman used to be a guy/gal who could tell you to go to hell, and you would look forward to the trip!

Point 2. Throughout history, Soldiers/Employees have followed
GENERALS into battle. Followed. Not one great corporate leader, IMHO, has come out of accounting, legal, route planning, purchasing, or the cesspool known as HR.
This. So much this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Finance/Management? HOW ABOUT, wait for it..... wait for it....

A SALES GUY/GAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Todays Millenials, GenXers, etc. with their fancy Harvard, Wharton, and heaven forbid(!) stanford MBA's are truly & totally lost, and clueless, if they can't spreadsheet/Excell the unspreadsheetable. Sales.

Point 1. The definition of a salesman used to be a guy/gal who could tell you to go to hell, and you would look forward to the trip!

Point 2. Throughout history, Soldiers/Employees have followed GENERALS into battle. Followed. Not one great corporate leader, IMHO, has come out of accounting, legal, route planning, purchasing, or the cesspool known as HR.
The Boomers are the ones who created this cesspit over the last several decades. Trusting one to get AA out of this mess is like making a raging alcoholic your designated driver.

A younger Gen Xer or older millennial who will be around to fly AA for the next 50+ years are the only folks capable of creating a company culture that actually cares about the future of the airline.
GlobalMatt and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Just in the past month I've had three cancelled flights (took refunds on all of them and booked a walkup fare on southwest or delta) and two delayed so long I blew an international connection. First time I got a refund and rebooked myself on lufthansa. Second time I took BA out and Finnair back. One of those incidents was weather, the rest were allegedly mechanical.

AA is an operational mess. Only my hatred of ATL is keeping me flying them right now, and at some point the need to reliably reach my destination will overcome that.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: Flying Colonels, Go-Getters, WorldPass, Amerikat Expositors, Ephemeralizers
Originally Posted by nall
The man seems to have a penchant for arranging mergers. Now that he can't anymore, he's out of his element.
he has 2 skills: cost elimination (note i didn't say reduction), and pain infliction.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by Austin787
I agree Parker must go. What AA needs is the next Richard Anderson.
Many on this board would not be pleased with Richard Anderson running AA. Lest we not forget under whose watch Sky Pesos term was coined.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by GTITAN
Many on this board would not be pleased with Richard Anderson running AA. Lest we not forget under whose watch Sky Pesos term was coined.
Delta is where they are today because of Richard Anderson. And let's remember AA often copies Anderson's moves including frequent flier program devaluations. AAdvantage is on its way to becoming like Sky Pesos. At least Delta has several positive aspects to offset Sky Pesos.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by AA100k
I constantly fly the international routes which are loaded with crews with decades of seniority and they are a cantankerous crowd compared to the generally younger crews on my domestic positioning flights. The veteran crews remember a time when they had better pay, better working conditions and better benefits and they will never respect management, no matter who is at the helm, and unfortunately for us, that translates to bad customer service. They don’t like their jobs and dynamic, enlightened leadership isn’t likely to improve the situation. And don’t infer that I believe Parker is doing a great job - he’s clueless.
I have the same observation (see my recent thread about a flight attendant’s snarky behavior on JFK-LHR). It’s particularly striking compared to other transatlantic airlines now — eg BA — but I also noticed how much more pleasant the domestic AA crews tend to be. I suspected something like the reasons your post provides.

Last edited by salut0; Jun 13, 2019 at 12:25 pm
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by Austin787
Delta is where they are today because of Richard Anderson. And let's remember AA often copies Anderson's moves including frequent flier program devaluations. AAdvantage is on its way to becoming like Sky Pesos. At least Delta has several positive aspects to offset Sky Pesos.
Not disagreeing with you at all, but a lament on many on this board is the destruction of the FFPs. It really started in earnest with Anderson and DL.

Safe Traves
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Good luck!
thanks. will have to let you know how it went..... at least we are in J so hopefully ....
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by AA100k
I hate to disagree with the prevailing wisdom above, but frankly if you were to replace Parker with the greatest leader in the history of the world, living or dead, I’m convinced that high morale at AA will never return unless and until the current core employees retire and new ones are hired. I constantly fly the international routes which are loaded with crews with decades of seniority and they are a cantankerous crowd compared to the generally younger crews on my domestic positioning flights. The veteran crews remember a time when they had better pay, better working conditions and better benefits and they will never respect management, no matter who is at the helm, and unfortunately for us, that translates to bad customer service. They don’t like their jobs and dynamic, enlightened leadership isn’t likely to improve the situation. And don’t infer that I believe Parker is doing a great job - he’s clueless.
Can't be put any better than that.
Dallas49er, GTITAN, salut0 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Can't be put any better than that.
Isn't that the crux of the issue. And maybe you can't blame them given what's happen to air travel over the past 30 years. I like watching some of the old airline promo films from the 60s and 70s on Youtube. Sans the smoking the the experience between today and yesterday is unbelievable. Today it's a half step above riding the NYC subway at rush hour. Much of this relates to the coarsening of society and it's not all happening in Y. Some of the behavior I witness in the AC makes me shake my head in wonder. Of course the airlines have given the masses what they want-dirt cheap fares. Those luxurious days of flying came with a steep price.

Parker has tried to run an airline within an airline. Flagship lounge and dinning, new lie flat seats, new bedding, amenity kits, etc. for the upper class and 30 inch pitch, small thin seats, no seat choice for the BE class. That would be hard to do for example in a retail store-a small portion that is Neiman Marcus (F/Y), one portion that is Target (PE/MCE) and Wal Mart for everyone else. Let alone a relatively small aluminum tube.

However, some of the younger FAs aren't any better than the 30 year old vets and some of the those grandpas and grandmas still run their butt off-like the older gentleman FA I had a couple of weeks ago in F PHL/BOS. I really give kudos to the older men and women that despite everything that's happen in this industry still try to treat customers like its 1969 not 2019.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.