Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight attendant fills overhead bin with personal items, rude to passenger

Flight attendant fills overhead bin with personal items, rude to passenger

Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold
Attitude aside which can be misconstrued, did you take any photos of the luggage in the overhead or in the seat in front? Pictures provide evidence.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by peterk814
Attitude aside which can be misconstrued, did you take any photos of the luggage in the overhead or in the seat in front? Pictures provide evidence.
It was when I opened the bin and saw it was completely full that the FA snapped at me. I hardly think taking a photo at that point as she was standing next to me, or opening the bin again later to take a photo, would have been wise as it would likely have annoyed her even more.

The problem with these situations is the power dynamic: flight attendants must (rightly) be obeyed when their commands relate to flight safety or security but a recalcitrant FA can act as if they must be obeyed when it’s a personal matter as well, which leaves the passenger open to the accusation they they disobeyed a flight attendant’s request...
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:15 am

And to think I had an FA on a foreign airline guarding a closed overhead bin at a bulkhead, with a smiling face, just to make sure the bulkhead pax had a place to store their stuff as, of course, all of it must go into a bin as there is no underseat storage available.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Which just signals that that's the MCE section. It does not say anywhere that those bins are exclusive for MCE pax.
With that same logic...F/J overhead bins are not marked as such, are they? then that means they are free for all?
This is just wrong. The signs look like this: https://travelupdate.boardingarea.co...-Bin-Label.jpg

It says "Reserved for Main Cabin Extra". Although the linked image is from a 787 they are on most mainline and regional E175 series aircraft that I have flown on recently. Similar stickers in F. I get it, the FAs have to put their gear somewhere, but there's a customer-friendly way to do it and a customer-unfriendly way to do it.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP | UA PLT
Last year my wife and I were sitting in 24DE on the 321, which has a dearth of storage because the DEF overhead bins have equipment and the ABC side has the lav. We boarded in group 2, and the area under the seats in front of both of us were already filled with the mid-cabin FA's personal items (a purse and ipad in front of me, and what looked like a giant toiletries/makeup bag in front of my wife).

We had carryons and personal items, so I moved the FAs personal items out of the way and placed ours under the seats. She came by about 10 minutes later and was quite incredulous about us using the space allotted for our personal item storage ("What do you think you're doing? What gives you the right to move my items?", etc.). I didn't react in kind because that's a losing battle, but calmly let her know that we needed the space for our personal items, and that we weren't moving them. She ultimately gathered her items moved them to the back with a lot of fanfare, and she was totally hostile the rest of the flight.

In my experience this is clearly an outlier, but FA rudeness barely even registers with me any longer. It's not like I'm going out and buying a gulfstream, so I'm at the mercy of however my crew feels that day. Behold, the power of lowered expectations.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
I saw an somewhat example of this occur last week. I was in 4E on a 737, with row three being the stating row. The FA filled the entire bins above row three, right side. The fliers in 3e and 3f, had to place their items well down the rows, and they have no option of under the seat. The FA returned multiple times during the flight to get into her bags in the overhead above 3e and 3f.

I simply wondered why the FA did not place her carry on stuff in the crew storage, right across from her jump seat, where she sat from time to time during the flight . Could not help but think it was not proper customs/courtesy to the PAX in 3e and 3f.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH

Yes, I've started to see large stickers inside bins in F that they are reserved for F pax only.
Finally some enforcement but it remains to be seen whether it will be effective.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by salut0
The problem with these situations is the power dynamic: flight attendants must (rightly) be obeyed when their commands relate to flight safety or security but a recalcitrant FA can act as if they must be obeyed when it’s a personal matter as well, which leaves the passenger open to the accusation they they disobeyed a flight attendant’s request...
Actually your "rightly" is misplaced. There are many other countries with safety records as good as the US. In no other country do they act like drill sergeants. And almost all the time they "orders" actually have nothing to do with safety.
For example, on Alaska they bark at you to remove your seatpower. I know of no plane incident in which having a device plugged in caused any harm.
But in actual evacuations there were passengers who took their carryons with them as they exited, which is actually bad and harmful. The FA "teaching" had no effect there.
Because human psychology isn't so simple. If so, all children would be wonderfully be raised because parents always "say" what they are supposed to do (and forgot to actually do it themselves).
Dallas49er likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:19 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Some of these things are so petty, why do people have a problem unplugging your charger during take off and landing...clearly they ask that so in the event of an evacuation people don't trip over a cord or delay things because they are trying to grab their charger. (Yes people are that dumb)

As for the FA storing her luggage in the bin, who cares? Where else are they gonna put it? If they're working the F cabin, they probably can't keep it closet (if the plane even has one) and people would freak if they put it in those bins. All you need to do (if its that important for your bags to be directly above your seat) is to kindly ask the FA if you could put your bags there. If they reply rudely, obviously thats not the way it should be but there's not much you can do at that point. As to whether you're entitled to compensation, I hope you're joking. Also I don't care if a fellow passenger has to lean over me to get their bag out of the bin.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by jackvogt
Some of these things are so petty, why do people have a problem unplugging your charger during take off and landing...clearly they ask that so in the event of an evacuation people don't trip over a cord or delay things because they are trying to grab their charger. (Yes people are that dumb)

As for the FA storing her luggage in the bin, who cares? Where else are they gonna put it? If they're working the F cabin, they probably can't keep it closet (if the plane even has one) and people would freak if they put it in those bins. All you need to do (if its that important for your bags to be directly above your seat) is to kindly ask the FA if you could put your bags there. If they reply rudely, obviously thats not the way it should be but there's not much you can do at that point. As to whether you're entitled to compensation, I hope you're joking. Also I don't care if a fellow passenger has to lean over me to get their bag out of the bin.
Yes, everything is petty.
But you are in the first row in front, and your bag is stored a few rows back, what is the chance you can deplane quickly? Who is going to let you go back there to get your bags, when everybody is trying to go forward? People who fly in front usually want to be quickly off the plane.
Why isn't there much you can do about the FAs? By putting up with this you are just reinforcing their rudeness. In a sense, you are responsible. Just like if you allow someone to make a racist tirade, don't say anything, don't they think you are giving them your approval?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Why isn't there much you can do about the FAs?
What do you suggest?
Vent on FT? Write to AA CS? Confront the FA in flight?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:10 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Yes, everything is petty.
But you are in the first row in front, and your bag is stored a few rows back, what is the chance you can deplane quickly? Who is going to let you go back there to get your bags, when everybody is trying to go forward? People who fly in front usually want to be quickly off the plane.
Why isn't there much you can do about the FAs? By putting up with this you are just reinforcing their rudeness. In a sense, you are responsible. Just like if you allow someone to make a racist tirade, don't say anything, don't they think you are giving them your approval?
All I am saying is, I choose not to have a yelling match or argument with a flight attendant. You may not mind that but I would rather just accept that they are the ones in authority and I'll just listen to what they say for the next 2 hours of my life.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by salut0
I boarded a recent transatlantic flight on AA (traveling alone with a 3.5yr old toddler) and wanted to stow my cabin bags above our bulkhead seats.

The flight attendant snapped at me not to touch the overhead bin because she had completely filled it with her own hand luggage which she said contained fragile breakable items. So I not only had to put my own luggage far away, further back from our seats, but I also had to inconvenience other passengers on many occasions by leaning over them to open the overheads when I went to retrieve items in flight.

She then had the discourtesy to snap at me again at the end of the flight while I was clearing the floor to hurry me to finish stowing my items into the overhead bins when it was her fault that my items had been stored so far from my seat.

Rationale for booking the bulkhead was to give my toddler more space during the flight but also, since I’m an elite member, easy access to overhead space due to early boarding. Children come with more hand baggage than adults and often need access to things in flight regularly, such as diapers, snacks, toys etc.

Of course I would never have had difficulty here if I’d been able to use the overhead bin intended for my seat. Had I been able to use the assigned bins, I wouldn’t have inconvenienced anyone.

I recognize that cabin crew have their own baggage but surely it must come below the priority of providing space for paying passengers bags?

I was surprised that as a parent traveling alone with a small child I received such unhelpful and unsympathetic treatment. The contrast was particularly striking because BA (on the return codeshare) were so unfailingly polite, kind and helpful.

I would never have complained had the bins been filled with oxygen bottles, aircraft-specific safety items or other passengers’ hand luggage: that’s par for the course and I’ve experienced it in the past.

AA’s response to an emailed complaint was merely an apology.

But isn’t there a systemic issue here about valuing the personal convenience of a cabin crew member’s purchased duty free or objets d’art over the hand baggage of paying customers?
Bins are first come, first served. She was there first. And you have no right to the bin directly over your seat. Her stuff needs to be stowed as much as yours.

And what do you mean "clearing the floor"? Were you one of those people who labor under the delusion that you will be able to swim up stream in an aisle full of people and get your stuff 10 rows back..and then push your way forward again to your space?

Not a rhetorical question: Have you ever flown before?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA
[QUOTE=s0ssos;31195948]Yes, everything is petty.
But you are in the first row in front, and your bag is stored a few rows back, what is the chance you can deplane quickly? Who is going to let you go back there to get your bags, when everybody is trying to go forward? People who fly in front usually want to be quickly off the plane.”

I often have this problem with booking domestic flights and end up with Row 1 on a 757 or 321. Unless I am the one of the first to board that is in Row 1 my bags are not going to be above me — this is paid first and I know that my carry ons may be in row 3. Sometimes there is a flight attendant bag or a fire extinguisher but is most often another passenger in first that boarded before me. And somerimes they are the highest status and an upgrade and got to the bin first. That is the way it is.

Yes I want to get off quickly but I have to say there are passengers that realize the issue and either pass my bag over to me or let me slip by.

Even with paid first I do not expect my bag to be in the bin above me. Same with transcontinental paid business — I never expect the bin above to be free.

Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by ughunter
Bins are first come, first served. She was there first. And you have no right to the bin directly over your seat. Her stuff needs to be stowed as much as yours.

And what do you mean "clearing the floor"? Were you one of those people who labor under the delusion that you will be able to swim up stream in an aisle full of people and get your stuff 10 rows back..and then push your way forward again to your space?

Not a rhetorical question: Have you ever flown before?
So your philosophy appears to be that employees come first and revenue customers come last. I'll have to note that to the next MBA class that I teach.
Spiff, salut0, Zacnlinc and 3 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.