Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight attendant fills overhead bin with personal items, rude to passenger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight attendant fills overhead bin with personal items, rude to passenger

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: Delta-Million miler
I see FA bags stored in overhead bins in almost every flight. When there is adequate space, there is no problem.
My questions:
1. I see FAs and crew carrying bigger and bigger bags and more than 2. I am assuming that they are connecting to another flight at the destination, so they wouldn't have time to check-in/retrieve their luggage. (even if they are connecting-why wouldn't they checkin their luggage?) Am I right? If not, their luggage should have the same treatment as a paid passengers'.
2. Why wouldn't airlines officially reserve a couple of bins for FAs?
3. Passengers bring bigger and bigger carryons these days ! Do the airlines take a serious look at capacity/number of passengers/available space etc in the interior design?
4. How often do the FAs return to their home base? If the FAs carry non-work/schedule/necessities (example, fragile items as posted here), shouldn't they be checking in these items?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Gynob001
2. Why wouldn't airlines officially reserve a couple of bins for FAs?
Sometimes they do. In fact one of my Facebook memories today was from an Envoy flight where a passenger kept trying to remove a flight attendants bag from a bin labeled for flight attendants only (at the very back of the plane) in order to put her own bag there and got into an argument about it with the flight attendant.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I hate the bulkhead but the luggage space is definitely exacerbated by crew gear and bags. There is no excuse for the way you were talked to though and I would definitely complain. I'd mention the date and flight information and a description of the FA if you did not get a name.

I'd complain without asking for compensation, but I'm the type of person who believes in providing feedback for corrective action alone.
enviroian and Gringa like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:17 pm

I'd ask for miles as compensation for the inconvenience AA caused, and as a gesture to show that AA's "apology" was more sincere than it seemed.

It wasn't sincere, of course, but the goal is to make them bleed.
Dallas49er likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:12 pm

To me it seems this is mostly about the FA's perceived attitude, since OP said she "snapped" at her twice (albeit with relatively normal information, this bin is full, sit down we are landing, etc). I suspect the FA's description of the interaction would be different, with the truth somewhere in between. I am not sure having to put your carry on in a bin not directly above your seat is reason to be compensated. I am confident we have all seen many examples of the both sides of these interactions.

It seems all of these relatively minor nuisances are magnified by the stress of traveling. If these things bother you that much, you should consider flying private jet, like that televangelist. Otherwise, the best advice I heard was vote with your wallet, even then any long haul in Y is going to be disappointing. Good luck
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Crowded flights, tight turns, a general coarsening of society and overworked airline employees has made the flying experience like a visit to Wal Mart. The exception is the premium cabin, that's a visit to Target. The best offense is a good defense. Pack light. Don't take a bulkhead seat if you need multiple items out inflight. Don't expect the employees to be over friendly (they might be just don't count on it). If your flight gets cancelled know options. Forget about any airline being "family friendly." It's sad to see what flying used to be and how all involved used to act compared to today. The OP will get nothing out of AA-maybe a few thousand miles, that's it.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by salut0

Depressing, especially coming from someone who I suspect knows so much about what’s going on inside AA...

You're right about voting with my wallet — but AA miles are a currency that can be spent on AA partners, such as BA :-)

And AA142 is much better timed than BA178.

Well, there you have it.

its tough enough with captive markets and oligopolies, but, in this case, the choice is yours to keep enduring this behavior.
Dallas49er and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Well, there you have it.

its tough enough with captive markets and oligopolies, but, in this case, the choice is yours to keep enduring this behavior.
Not saying I’ll definitely continue taking AA over BA on this route. You’ll see above that I mention numerous ways in which BA did much better than AA on the return flight on the JFK-LHR route.

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The best offense is a good defense. Pack light. Don't take a bulkhead seat if you need multiple items out inflight.
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
This is the state of air travel. It's why I travel light and would never imagine taking a small child on a long haul flight.
Traveling with a child isn’t always optional: would you have taken a five day boat ride between the US and UK at presumably considerably greater expense? Nor can packing numerous bags be avoided: children do require lots of stuff to be entertained and kept clean and nourished for seven hours. That in itself is necessary to be a good fellow-traveler to any neighboring non-parent passengers and keep a child quiet...
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:00 pm

FA bags need to go somewhere, in any bin it will inconvenience the passengers sitting in that row.

FAs will always want to store their bags close to their stationed jumpseat, i.e. FAs sitting in the rear galley will put bags in the last few rows, in larger planes with exit doors and jumpseats mid cabin by the bulkhead they will store them there. With how many flights they work the chance of somebody accidentally or intentionally rummaging through their stuff in the bins is magnified so they naturally want to reduce their risk. That won't change unless airlines install closets or lockable overhead bins for FA bag storage only. Considering that would certainly come at the expense of passenger space in one way or another, I doubt it's something they or passengers ultimately want.

On a small plane like the 319 with only two rows of F if the FA bags take up half of the overhead space then the frustration is understandable. On a wide body international flight, stowing your bag a row or two behind you is hardly a significant inconvenience, much less one to be compensated for. Sure beats boarding in Group 8 and needing to stow your bag halfway across the cabin.

Rudeness is never a good look on any employee, but judging how it seems you're blowing this way out of proportion, I question what your attitude in your communications to the FA was like. As mentioned above, the FA certainly has a different interpretation of how the interaction went, and the truth probably lies in between. I doubt any efforts to secure compensation will be useful, and even more unlikely that your complaint will result in any sanction against the FA especially without proof of the claimed interactions like a video.
Dea Certe and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
FA bags need to go somewhere, in any bin it will inconvenience the passengers sitting in that row.

FAs will always want to store their bags close to their stationed jumpseat, i.e. FAs sitting in the rear galley will put bags in the last few rows, in larger planes with exit doors and jumpseats mid cabin by the bulkhead they will store them there. With how many flights they work the chance of somebody accidentally or intentionally rummaging through their stuff in the bins is magnified so they naturally want to reduce their risk.

The question is: does what FAs want have to trump good service to passengers? Also: no passenger in their right mind would “rummage through” an FA’s personal items or those of another passenger unless they wanted to risk being accused of stealing. I certainly wouldn’t do such a thing and that isn’t a reason to prioritize bin use for FAs over passengers.

Rudeness is never a good look on any employee, but judging how it seems you're blowing this way out of proportion, I question what your attitude in your communications to the FA was like.
I actually said nothing to the FA about the bins except stand up and move towards the bin in question to open it, at which point she snapped something like “You can’t use that bin. Don’t touch that! You can’t use it, it’s my stuff and it’s breakable.” I was actually quite shocked at her tone and attitude.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
I'm not sure what the basis for the compensation y'all are suggesting is.

As per the MCE info on AA.com (see snip above), MCE offers "easier access to overhead bins". Guaranteed overhead right above your seat is not a feature of MCE.
No basis of compensation there.

Rude FA? Hard to prove, your story is one sided. And is a rude FA a basis for compensation? Perhaps 5,000 miles as good will gesture.

I think a complaint message to CS (a very short one) about the FA's rude behavior with the name of the FA should always be send out though.
Yes, I know a canned response will be sent out by AA and nothing will be done, but least it will become one data point, a measurable statistic and AA won't be able to say "we are performing wonderfully and customer satisfaction is at the top since there have been relatively very few complaints sent to CS in the last year".
FAA1996 and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
That is horrible service from the AA FA. I have noticed how awful it is to fly AA these days. The staff all around is generally rude and not empathetic to paying passengers. Delta is a great alternative. While no airline is perfect, Delta FAs are generally friendly, helpful, and service oriented. It is too bad AA was allowed to merge as they have become awful in terms of customer service and their is not much choice as in the past.
Spiff and 1readyset2go like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
Originally Posted by salut0
I boarded a recent transatlantic flight on AA (traveling alone with a 3.5yr old toddler) and wanted to stow my cabin bags above our bulkhead seats..............Children come with more hand baggage than adults and often need access to things in flight regularly, such as diapers, snacks, toys etc.

A 3.5 year old child requires diapers? I'm asking in seriousness as I'm not a parent, but that seems a little old to me. And how many of them do you actual need for a single flight? I'm not sure why a 3.5 year old child would require any more hand-luggage than any other passenger.

Hard to pick a side when the choice is either a unionized FA for a US carrier or a passenger traveling with children that young, however I have experienced this issue with overhead space in the past and I sympathize with you in this case.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by FAA1996
There is no such thing as bins intended for your seat or assigned bins, they are all shared space. Maybe things would have gone smoother if you had not thought you were entitled to those bins. That being said, a FA should never be rude to a customer, so I feel for you there. Safe travels...
While no one has dibs on specific bins, many AA planes now have bins marked specifically for MCE passengers (bulkheads are MCE seating). That isn't the point here, though. The point is that FAs do claim entire bins as their own and they are often at the expense of the most valued customer (F/J,MCE). They are the first on and last off there. There's no reason their stuff can't be in the back. Or the middle. Filling the bins over the bulkhead is lazy,spiteful, or ignorant. Take your pick.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
At the bottom of the plane... Problem solved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.