Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Codeshare in AS Metal: AS PNR, Seat Seletion, EP Benefit, Lounge Access, etc.

AA Codeshare in AS Metal: AS PNR, Seat Seletion, EP Benefit, Lounge Access, etc.

Old Jun 10, 19, 7:01 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: AA EXP, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Priority Pass Select, TSA Pre-Check, US Global Entry
Posts: 330
Question AA Codeshare in AS Metal: AS PNR, Seat Seletion, EP Benefit, Lounge Access, etc.

I am planning a JFK-FAI trip. Looks like it will have at least 2 legs on AS metals codeshared with AA (SEA-FAI and FAI-SEA). AA.com is not showing the seat availability in the AS flights. So it is safe to assume that I will not be able to select seats on those AS legs at the time of booking in aa.com. So:

(1) Will AA PNR works in AS website for seat selection? If not, is there any website which can translate AA PNR into AS PNR? As an example, Qantas site does the trick for BA flights codeshared with AA.

(2) I don't have any status in AS (never flew in AS). Will AS honor my AA EP status and let me select the Exit seats? If AS doesn't honor AA status, will AA EP agents on phone be able select Exit row seats for my reservation?

(3) Also, will AS allow priority boarding for AA EP? If not, how AS boarding process works?

(4) At SEA, do I need to change terminal for the connecting flights AA to/from AS?

(5) Boarding Pass and TSA Pre-check: Can I check-in for the AS flights and download the mobile boarding pass in AA app? If not, can I use the AS app without opening an account in AS? Will AA pass-on my TSA Pre-check status to AS and AS boarding passes will display TSA Pre-check correctly? If not, how to communicate this information to AS ahead of time?

(6) As an Admirals Club member, can I access AS lounges at SEA and FAI (if they have a lounge in FAI)?

I will not check luggage (carry-on only), so that will be easy. Is there anything else to think about?

Thanks,
Tintin
Tintin is offline  
Old Jun 10, 19, 7:46 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Posts: 496
You get absolutely no executive platinum benefits on Alaska.

For seating, you’ll have to get the Alaska confirmation from American and go into the Alaska app or call them for seating. Any sort of premium seating will have to be done at the time of check-in.

As to pre-check, you’ll have to enter your number on the Alaska side which is pretty easy to do in the app and on the website.

For lounge access, your AC membership will get you into their lounges.
milesandmoremiles is offline  
Old Jun 10, 19, 7:48 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: STL/ORD/SAN
Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG75K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, AmEx PLT
Posts: 1,201
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
I am planning a JFK-FAI trip. Looks like it will have at least 2 legs on AS metals codeshared with AA (SEA-FAI and FAI-SEA). AA.com is not showing the seat availability in the AS flights. So it is safe to assume that I will not be able to select seats on those AS legs at the time of booking in aa.com. So:

(1) Will AA PNR works in AS website for seat selection? If not, is there any website which can translate AA PNR into AS PNR? As an example, Qantas site does the trick for BA flights codeshared with AA.

(2) I don't have any status in AS (never flew in AS). Will AS honor my AA EP status and let me select the Exit seats? If AS doesn't honor AA status, will AA EP agents on phone be able select Exit row seats for my reservation?

(3) Also, will AS allow priority boarding for AA EP? If not, how AS boarding process works?

(4) At SEA, do I need to change terminal for the connecting flights AA to/from AS?

(5) Boarding Pass and TSA Pre-check: Can I check-in for the AS flights and download the mobile boarding pass in AA app? If not, can I use the AS app without opening an account in AS? Will AA pass-on my TSA Pre-check status to AS and AS boarding passes will display TSA Pre-check correctly? If not, how to communicate this information to AS ahead of time?

(6) As an Admirals Club member, can I access AS lounges at SEA and FAI (if they have a lounge in FAI)?

I will not check luggage (carry-on only), so that will be easy. Is there anything else to think about?

Thanks,
Tintin
1. No, you'll need the AS confirmation code. Just call the EXP desk, and they should be able to give it to you. You can then use it on the AS website, just as though you booked the ticket through AS.

2. and 3. I actually don't know the current answer to these questions. I believe reports have varied since AS and AA weakened ties, but perhaps someone else with more recent experience can chime in.

4. Everything at SEA is connected behind security. You may need to switch concourses, which could involve some walking and perhaps a brief train ride, but you shouldn't need to re-clear security.

5. Recommend that you obtain the AS confirmation code and ensure that the AS side of the reservation has your trusted traveler number attached. If not, simply add it yourself on alaskaair.com. I'd recommend just getting boarding passes from AS for your AS flights. And, no, an AS frequent flyer membership is not required.

6. Yes. There's no lounge at FAI, but you can certainly access any of the three AS lounges (C, D, and N gates) as an AC member at SEA when you are flying either AA or AS.
metallo is offline  
Old Jun 10, 19, 9:08 am
  #4  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,938
Originally Posted by metallo View Post
1. No, you'll need the AS confirmation code. Just call the EXP desk, and they should be able to give it to you. You can then use it on the AS website, just as though you booked the ticket through AS.

2. and 3. I actually don't know the current answer to these questions. I believe reports have varied since AS and AA weakened ties, but perhaps someone else with more recent experience can chime in.

4. Everything at SEA is connected behind security. You may need to switch concourses, which could involve some walking and perhaps a brief train ride, but you shouldn't need to re-clear security.

5. Recommend that you obtain the AS confirmation code and ensure that the AS side of the reservation has your trusted traveler number attached. If not, simply add it yourself on alaskaair.com. I'd recommend just getting boarding passes from AS for your AS flights. And, no, an AS frequent flyer membership is not required.

6. Yes. There's no lounge at FAI, but you can certainly access any of the three AS lounges (C, D, and N gates) as an AC member at SEA when you are flying either AA or AS.
Alaska does and will not acknowledge AA EXP status in any way.
GTITAN likes this.
JDiver is offline  
Old Jun 11, 19, 7:30 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: AA EXP, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Priority Pass Select, TSA Pre-Check, US Global Entry
Posts: 330
Thank you all very much for the information. I don't understand why AA weakened its relationship with AS, while at the same time, not flying to popular summer destinations like FAI. AA's cheapest round-trip fare for JFK-FAI is around $1,400 while JFK-SEA (non-stop) is around $550. So, effectively, we are paying $850 to AA for a SEA-FAI round-trip leg in AS metal. This is strange.

Anyway, Thanks very much to all who responded.

Tintin
Tintin is offline  
Old Jun 11, 19, 2:25 pm
  #6  
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southern California
Programs: AA PLT, WN A List, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz 5*
Posts: 2,107
I believe the AA relationship reduction was one of the conditions related to when AS bought VX.

Even though it can be argued that AS did not benefit in the transaction.
JDiver likes this.
rasheed is offline  
Old Jun 14, 19, 12:05 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: STL/ORD/SAN
Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG75K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, AmEx PLT
Posts: 1,201
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
Thank you all very much for the information. I don't understand why AA weakened its relationship with AS, while at the same time, not flying to popular summer destinations like FAI. AA's cheapest round-trip fare for JFK-FAI is around $1,400 while JFK-SEA (non-stop) is around $550. So, effectively, we are paying $850 to AA for a SEA-FAI round-trip leg in AS metal. This is strange.

Anyway, Thanks very much to all who responded.

Tintin
As someone with both AA EXP and AS 75K status, I can tell you that buying an AA ticket that includes segments on AS metal will virtually always be overpriced. For whatever reason, it's just the way these fares seem to price out.

In many cases, you'd be better off buying separate tickets, and often, on the routes where neither airline alone can get you there (so you're forced to fly both AA and AS), other airlines like DL or UA will offer much better all-the-way-through fares.

I've run into this scenario with trips to Alaska the last couple of years and have found that, despite my loyalty to both AA and AS, it would actually often be much cheaper to both ANC and FAI to fly paid J on DL all the way. In other words, sometimes the cheapest AA+AS Y fare is actually more expensive than the cheapest DL J fare.
metallo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: