Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA cancels flight at OKC , DL brings in plane for 41 student group

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA cancels flight at OKC , DL brings in plane for 41 student group

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
That's amazing for Delta to step in like that. It shows a lot about company culture - that the DL agents overhearing the AA debacle felt empowered enough to try to help any way they can. Whereas AA agents just want to get rid of them as quickly as possible. Refunds? Not even reroutes or trying to put them on another carrier? Ridiculous.
Good luck trying to find 41 seats on another flight. That is one of the downsides of big group travel.
wrp96 and rumboj like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by dls25
Good luck trying to find 41 seats on another flight. That is one of the downsides of big group travel.
It didn't need to be 41 people on the same flight. There were kids and chaperones. If AA didn't have an extra plane, they could have split them up by chaperone - not ideal, but at least come up with some solution that doesn't involve cancelling the kids' trip altogether. That's what I was talking about with company culture. I assume AA agents haven't been replaced with bots (yet), so they could have thought about something. I assume AA has a similar strategic ops department.
James91 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by dls25
Delta managed to pull a CRJ. You're telling me none of AA's regional partners had a spare aircraft? This was just AA wanting to get rid of the problem as quickly as possible, per usual.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
The better title is "good for for DL." OP has no idea whether AA had a spare aircraft.
I would guess no as AA had been using some MAX aircraft.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:58 pm

It didn't need to be 41 people on the same flight. There were kids and chaperones. If AA didn't have an extra plane, they could have split them up by chaperone - not ideal, but at least come up with some solution that doesn't involve cancelling the kids' trip altogether. That's what I was talking about with company culture. I assume AA agents haven't been replaced with bots (yet), so they could have thought about something. I assume AA has a similar strategic ops department.
I am sure the agents tried that. Finding more than 2-3 seats on any flight nowadays is quite difficult. One of the reasons why IRROPS suck so much and you see people getting rebooked to 2-3 days later.
SJOGuy, wrp96 and JoeWoodstock like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by DCP2016
Delta managed to pull a CRJ. You're telling me none of AA's regional partners had a spare aircraft? This was just AA wanting to get rid of the problem as quickly as possible, per usual.
Yes. AA/AA* are very tight on airframes at the moment thanks to the 737MAX situation. This is one of the reasons why their ops are so terrible at the moment - lack of spares.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Absolutely this. As usual AA went for the cheapest way out, and decided they'd just issue refunds rather than try to to maybe establish a lifetime of goodwill with some of these youngsters. I'm not surprised this happened in OKC though - Oklahomans are usually pretty nice people, but the draagons I've dealt with at OKC are some of the laziest human beings I've ever come across.
TravelLawyer and James91 like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:18 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I doubt they are using commuter jets to cover for the max flights. I am also sure that if they had done this someone at AA could have made sure the press or a blogger got the story and they would have received the same type of press as Delta.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:18 pm

That's what I was talking about with company culture. I assume AA agents haven't been replaced with bots (yet), so they could have thought about something. I assume AA has a similar strategic ops department.
You are right, it’s about company culture. And the messaging that has been sent over and over, by Doug Parker and his LCC bean counters, is that front line employees are not empowered to help the customer.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Bottom line delta thought outside the box and sourced a CR9 while AA was still in the mindset of just canceling it and washing their hands.

Kudos to Delta.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by abk
I doubt they are using commuter jets to cover for the max flights. I am also sure that if they had done this someone at AA could have made sure the press or a blogger got the story and they would have received the same type of press as Delta.
"Airline cancels flight but reinstates it with substitute aircraft" is not a newsworthy story. "Airline flies a special flight at the last minute on a route they don't even normally fly to cover for another airline's cancellation" is.

Let me put it another way: "Airline does right for its own passengers" isn't newsworthy. "Airline adds a special flight for passengers on another airline that stranded them" is.
wrp96 and birdiedouble like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Steve M
"Airline cancels flight but reinstates it with substitute aircraft" is not a newsworthy story. "Airline flies a special flight at the last minute on a route they don't even normally fly to cover for another airline's cancellation" is.

Let me put it another way: "Airline does right for its own passengers" isn't newsworthy. "Airline adds a special flight for passengers on another airline that stranded them" is.
But let's be honest...DL tends to win hearts far more often than AA does...
snorkmaster likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SouthernCross

You are right, it’s about company culture. And the messaging that has been sent over and over, by Doug Parker and his LCC bean counters, is that front line employees are not empowered to help the customer.
Nailed it about culture. If this isn't good enough of an anecdote, you can always head over to the hotel forums regarding a certain major chain's recent change in culture...
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
The cost to DL to arrange that special flight is tiny compared to the PR value they'll get from the media coverage. The thing is, had AA done the same thing, it would not have been newsworthy and we'd never have heard about it.
Delta can put the cost under their marketing budget. It will probably be a good ROI!
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by worldiswide
Nice recovery from Delta..going for greAAt AA..it does show that there are solutions if someone what's to make it happen
Regular Delta flyers know that the airline makes its fair share of mistakes and has its own problems. It they also empower and encourage front line employees and middle management to beyond the CoC minimum in fixing things and a fairly high percentage of them use that power for good
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.