LAX-PHL AA 1799 6/8 Status?

Old Jun 8, 19, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, SPG Plat/LT Gold
LAX-PHL AA 1799 6/8 Status?

Does anyone know why this flight was so delayed today? Scheduled for 8am and took off finally at 330pm. Per flight aware too it went today as well as the last 2 as a 763 instead of a 332 like scheduled. Trying to figure out if this flight is a victim of the mechanics messing around since there are so few 330's used at LAX by AA. Supposed to be on this flight a week from today and will be cutting it close timing wise - debating if I am better off changing to one of the 321 operated flights to be safe earlier
Old Jun 8, 19, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I was on 700 (SFO-PHL) today and it was delayed. Not too much, but 30 mins of it was waiting on the log book. This plus the inbound ATH-PHL plane at the gate going MX and blocking, led to missed connections. my tray table was inop too.

14 hours late and a lost bag. Overall, regretting taking the widebody and AA in general. Take the NB or go via JFK
Old Jun 8, 19, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by uscjeff View Post
Does anyone know why this flight was so delayed today? Scheduled for 8am and took off finally at 330pm. Per flight aware too it went today as well as the last 2 as a 763 instead of a 332 like scheduled. Trying to figure out if this flight is a victim of the mechanics messing around since there are so few 330's used at LAX by AA. Supposed to be on this flight a week from today and will be cutting it close timing wise - debating if I am better off changing to one of the 321 operated flights to be safe earlier
Supposedly, AA
​has announced internally that they are keeping an additional 330 in PHL as a spare. They are hoping this will maintain the integrity of the TATL schedule. To compensate, either the LAX or SFO 332 flights have to be downguaged. It is going to be like this until further notice.
Old Jun 8, 19, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Alaska MVP Gold 75k; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold
Lax 800a t4 48b
phl 2 a18 424p
7lax/auto reaccom dly flt completed see n*p2aa1799lax08jun *1630*crcymg
3lax/etd1530 mtr-delay due to a/c maintenance *1720
4lax/out1525 off1538 *1738
2phl/eta2324 *2213
Old Jun 8, 19, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dls25 View Post
Supposedly, AA
​has announced internally that they are keeping an additional 330 in PHL as a spare. They are hoping this will maintain the integrity of the TATL schedule. To compensate, either the LAX or SFO 332 flights have to be downguaged. It is going to be like this until further notice.
Interesting - thanks the info. So based on this its safe to assume 50/50 shot 1799 is not going to operate as planned? If so this answers my question!
Old Jun 8, 19, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
I was on 700 (SFO-PHL) today and it was delayed. Not too much, but 30 mins of it was waiting on the log book. This plus the inbound ATH-PHL plane at the gate going MX and blocking, led to missed connections. my tray table was inop too.

14 hours late and a lost bag. Overall, regretting taking the widebody and AA in general. Take the NB or go via JFK
Good points. Any shot AA will acknowledge trouble with this and let me move to another flight in anticipation or do I have to wait until t-24 or things go sideways? I am EXP if that makes a difference
Old Jun 8, 19, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Interesting - thanks the info. So based on this its safe to assume 50/50 shot 1799 is not going to operate as planned? If so this answers my question!
You will not know until 24 hours out. Tomorrow, SFO-PHL is taking the hit - AA700 is downgauged to a 752.
Old Jun 8, 19, 10:49 pm

Good points. Any shot AA will acknowledge trouble with this and let me move to another flight in anticipation or do I have to wait until t-24 or things go sideways? I am EXP if that makes a difference
It's worth a call. AA seems to be caught with their pants down - I couldnt rebook to a later flight in the AM (wouldnt let me) but they didnt rebook me after the delay either. So ended up in PHL with no flight and stuck as the later PHL departure went to J0 Y0.

I'm not sure if they would let you change, but worth asking.
Old Jun 8, 19, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the above advice - appreciated.

One more Q - can't one get a full refund if an involuntary aircraft swap happens as it violates AA's CoC? I have never gotten a refund from this but have been able to move flights for free when a 77w gets swapped for a 772 etc. Just again checking my options
Old Jun 8, 19, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Hoping to dodge the fury by taking the SJC-LAX-PHL route tonight. Halfway there!
Old Jun 9, 19, 7:20 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Plat
Thanks for all the above advice - appreciated.

One more Q - can't one get a full refund if an involuntary aircraft swap happens as it violates AA's CoC? I have never gotten a refund from this but have been able to move flights for free when a 77w gets swapped for a 772 etc. Just again checking my options
I believe the refund is only available when a change in operating carrier happens. Like if the flight is switched from a mainline to regional, or the regional carrier is switched for another.
Old Jun 9, 19, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by james318 View Post
I believe the refund is only available when a change in operating carrier happens. Like if the flight is switched from a mainline to regional, or the regional carrier is switched for another.
This is my understanding as well. If a 77W goes to 772 and that results in a class of service change, then I believe changes are permitted as well.