Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using the new and old award search on AA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Using the new and old award search on AA

I go to look for the 2 days in a year when lie flat at a reasonable rate is available from OGG to DFW....usually same dates for HNL or KOA just one or 2 a year.
Anyway the new award search on AA.com has no calendar (says coming soon), no business class, just main cabin, economy preferred, and first....is economy preferred a replacement for business class, allowing them to only charge the jacked up rates for first?....I can't find any mention of this change from aa in the forums, from the bloggers, or from AA.com...so ... is it a sneaky devaluation?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:58 pm

There is no such thing as "economy preferred" on AA.

What you are thinking of as J is domestic F on "2-class" aircraft.

If you don't like the new award search, you can use the old award search, but it won't help.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wise2u
I go to look for the 2 days in a year when lie flat at a reasonable rate is available from OGG to DFW....usually same dates for HNL or KOA just one or 2 a year.
Anyway the new award search on AA.com has no calendar (says coming soon), no business class, just main cabin, economy preferred, and first....is economy preferred a replacement for business class, allowing them to only charge the jacked up rates for first?....I can't find any mention of this change from aa in the forums, from the bloggers, or from AA.com...so ... is it a sneaky devaluation?
The old search presently returns result that the new one does not, for sure, instructions:
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...award-results/
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

you are correct it is not called "economy preferred" it is called "Premium economy" on the new search. it is where the "business class" awards used to be and has a limited description that doesn't say exactly what seats you will get on a 2 or 3 class flight....it does make a difference as I just searched for the flight there and it used the old award search format that includes "business"......same browser window, 2 different flights, 2 different search engines for results....with the increased cost in points, it looks like we may take one last trip to Hawaii and call it quits....350k RT each for upfront seats from DFW an AA hub?!?.....really?, really.....blah
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

thx

Originally Posted by JonNYC
The old search presently returns result that the new one does not, for sure, instructions:
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...award-results/
this is what I was looking for, thx for the link. So it seems best to use both to look for an award....and according to one of the screenshots "premium economy" is a different, lower level award from business and first as the example shows them all listed.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
On domestic flights, the front cabin is marketed as "first" even though it is usually the same cabin that is marketed as "business" on an international flight (this is independent of whether the seats are lie flat or recliner). This is confusing for sure, but it isn't new.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wetrat0
On domestic flights, the front cabin is marketed as "first" even though it is usually the same cabin that is marketed as "business" on an international flight (this is independent of whether the seats are lie flat or recliner). This is confusing for sure, but it isn't new.
also, because things are not confusing enough, its worth pointing out that while the marketing, boarding pass etc says "first" for domestic 2 cabin (or 3 cabin with PE) flights they are booked into business fare buckets..the "first class" buckets F and A are only for 3 (4 if PE) cabin international or transcon flights.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
There is also evidence that the new award search, in some instances, does not respect married segments. Some flights that have no availability AAA-BBB-CCC but do have availability AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC are shown in the search results for AAA-CCC, and are bookable under a single award.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
FWIW, I am getting different results with different browsers and also different results depending on whether I am logged in or not (with fewer premium cabin results appearing when logged in as EXP). Very suspicious.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hyatt Diamond
New Interface

As of about 20 minutes ago American switched to a new online interface for booking awards. I can't seem to get any int'l first class awards to show up - it only shows business, premium economy and economy.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:22 pm

Hmnn. Everything looks the same to me, interface wise. But I use the "old" format. On a quick look, I was able to bring up International First Saver Awards on SYD - SEZ.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:27 pm

Strange. This is what I'm seeing:

Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by lxjenkins
Strange. This is what I'm seeing:

You should have 2 options: original and new interface. Go back to the aa.com and start your search there.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:51 pm

Aha! Thanks. Was unaware that was an option.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA, 3MM
Flights 61 and 153 do not have a first class cabin, that is likely why they show as such.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.