FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   American Caught Fibbing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1972821-american-caught-fibbing.html)

Fonsini Jun 5, 2019 4:14 pm

American Caught Fibbing

My wife is currently sat at the gate for AA86 ORD to LHR and American has just texted us to advise that the Dreamliner has developed a “mechanical fault”. One small problem - my wife knows one of the flight crew, and she just told her that she is the only one who actually turned up for the flight. No pilots, no flight attendants, the plane however is completely fine.

It really isn’t good enough, but what can you do, they seem to lie to us with impunity ?

OskiBear Jun 5, 2019 4:17 pm

Nothing you can do, but crew/operations or mechanical are better than bogus weather-related delays. At least with the former, you can force AA to do something about it versus just ducking under the guise of "weather"

Mynoles1 Jun 5, 2019 4:26 pm

If your thread was that you caught American telling the truth, then you would have a story. ;)

dls25 Jun 5, 2019 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Fonsini (Post 31174412)
My wife is currently sat at the gate for AA86 ORD to LHR and American has just texted us to advise that the Dreamliner has developed a “mechanical fault”. One small problem - my wife knows one of the flight crew, and she just told her that she is the only one who actually turned up for the flight. No pilots, no flight attendants, the plane however is completely fine.

It really isn’t good enough, but what can you do, they seem to lie to us with impunity ?

I would not have posted this.

A) it is not going to make any difference.
B) if your friend is the only one that showed up, management knows who she is and now knows she is sharing internal info with the public.

My .02

Bear96 Jun 5, 2019 4:47 pm

No disrespect to the OP, but this story seems odd.

Only one crewmember "turned up" for a scheduled flight? What happened to the rest of the crew? Did AA tell them not to report for the trip? (Maybe because the flight is going to cancel for mechanical reasons?) Or is there a suggestion that this is some sort of organized activity because the crew wanted to cancel or delay the flight - so instead of going to LHR they wanted to be reassigned to a fun multiple-leg domestic three-day trip or go home without being paid?

Need more info, and from more than just one crewmember who may or may not know the big picture (and that is trickling to FT at least third-hand).

enviroian Jun 5, 2019 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by dls25 (Post 31174465)
I would not have posted this.

A) it is not going to make any difference.
B) if your friend is the only one that showed up, management knows who she is and now knows she is sharing internal info with the public.

My .02

That crew member is probably sacked.

AA isn’t stupid. They will find out.

Fonsini Jun 5, 2019 5:00 pm

Fair comments - wife just texted me to say that they should be boarding within the hour, I guess they fixed the “fault”.

alphaeagle Jun 5, 2019 5:07 pm

It's probably more likely that the plane was broken, rest of the crew didn't want to sit around waiting when they had a more comfortable crew lounge, and the FA that showed up didn't realize it was broken.

Fonsini Jun 5, 2019 5:14 pm

Now they changed that to another update in an hour and they have laid out food and water for the pax. A delayed flight is hardly a news story I know, but it would be interesting to know the truth.

Mwenenzi Jun 5, 2019 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Fonsini (Post 31174530)
Now they changed that to another update in an hour and they have laid out food and water for the pax. A delayed flight is hardly a news story I know, but it would be interesting to know the truth.

And your wife's crew member may not know that (too far down the food chain)
If the aircraft was broken, nothing unusual in the crew not boarding. Waiting for repair or another aircraft to be allocated or 101 other possible reasons. The other crew may be more in the know.

rickg523 Jun 5, 2019 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 31174487)
That crew member is probably sacked.

AA isn’t stupid. They will find out.

Maybe not stupid, but idiotically doctrinaire.
If they'd fire her for this, she doesn't want to work there anyway. There are much better employers out there.

DataPlumber Jun 5, 2019 5:31 pm

EF shows a decision time of 7:15pm and maintenance as the problem.

Since AA would be on the hook if the delay was either crew or maintenance, I don’t see any reason not to believe it. Irrespective of what you heard via a third degree acquaintance.

Dr. HFH Jun 5, 2019 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523 (Post 31174556)
If they'd fire her for this, she doesn't want to work there anyway. There are much better employers out there.

If they'd fire her for sharing internal operations information outside the company? I'd fire someone for that. In a minute.

rickg523 Jun 5, 2019 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 31174634)
If they'd fire her for sharing internal operations information outside the company? I'd fire someone for that. In a minute.

If it's true and you're lying, I wouldn't work for you either.

Mike Gilbert Jun 5, 2019 6:37 pm

More AA ORD 787 MX shenanigans.....