Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Ground Crew Strike? Work slow down? (Maintenance slowdown)

Ground Crew Strike? Work slow down? (Maintenance slowdown)

Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Broad spectrum union, management (or other work group) bashing or obsequiousness is more suited to OMNI/PR. It’s against the Rules, and as it’s nearly guaranteed to be dilatory and disruptive, it is not acceptable in this forum.

Those who persist in ignoring this warning should study the FlyerTalk Rules in preparation for membership suspension.

JonNYC, wetrat0 and arlflyer like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ating-slowdown @JonNYC tweeted that a judge has ordered a stop to the slow down.

Agree with him or not agree with him; Judge McBryde is colorful and often definitive. Press coverage could be interesting to follow.

What the injunction can't do is create extra-mile buy in from a dispirited and generally unhappy employee base that is disjointed along work group lines; unified only in dislike of management--both of their company and their own unions. You can make somebody stop slow-walking the paperwork but you can't successfully make people keep working perpetual overtime. Or have the enthusiasm to accomplish much more if you try.
PlatinumScum and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by jayer; Jun 15, 2019 at 7:43 am
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by richarddd
AA's on-time performance for 2018 was very close to UA's, behind DL's and ahead of B6's. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30926890-post1.html

What actual data are you looking at?
May stats - mainline (ie AA mechanics):

If one adds regionals (non-AA mechanics), UA/AA comparable, but still far behind DL. Obviously, AA's regional partners are performing very well to make up (at least statistically) for some of mainline's on-time ills::

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 15, 2019 at 10:44 am
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
AA's on-time performance for 2018 was very close to UA's, behind DL's and ahead of B6's. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30926890-post1.html
I'm looking at the data that consistently shows AA behind the other majors. Even your 2018 data agrees with that, and it was before the recent problems with the mechanics.

But yes, Delta is consistently much better than the other carriers whereas American is often only slightly worse than United.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jordyn
I'm looking at the data that consistently shows AA behind the other majors. Even your 2018 data agrees with that, and it was before the recent problems with the mechanics.

But yes, Delta is consistently much better than the other carriers whereas American is often only slightly worse than United.
There are no “recent problems with the mechanics”. Though it has increased to the point it has been surfaced and we’re also talking about it more, it has been occurring for a couple of years I’ve observed.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JDiver
There are no “recent problems with the mechanics”. Though it has increased to the point it has been surfaced and we’re also talking about it more, it has been occurring for a couple of years I’ve observed.
Well, there’s actually two parts - ongoing contract issues and (escalating possible) work actions. As you point out, the former has been for years, but the latter has become progressively impactful on AA’s customers.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:13 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by AA2070
I get it, the mechanics are trying to make a point. I even, in principle, agree with them. However, at the end of the day, the actions don't hurt AA - most people on the plane don't know their cause, and nobody is seriously "never flying AA again" because of a MX delay. The company doesn't get hurt, management doesn't get hurt, the customer gets hurt.
I would slightly disagree that it does hurt AA. In the past month alone, I've had 4 MX re-routes that resulted in one, or more, of the following:
  1. Being pushed to UA, from AA flights that weren't in danger of being oversold
  2. Bags not getting to the destination when I do
  3. Overnight hotels/meals/transportation due to a misconnect
Sure, the amounts don't break AA's bank, but what AA has spent for these issues is nearly what I've spent on AA in the last quarter. Heck, today I've had 3 MX delays that have resulted in required re-routes. And it appears AA again will be buying a hotel/meal in CLT and clothes/toiletries when I get to my destination because my bags didn't get rerouted earlier. Hopefully others don't pay out of pocket for MX issues, as AA is liable for costs reasonable incurred.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by jayer
What the injunction can't do is create extra-mile buy in from a dispirited and generally unhappy employee base ....
As I've asked in the AA forum before, would you identify for me, please, when AA employees were generally happy with management at the time? I watched the video link here (or maybe in another thread), where the union person was explaining to AA management that if AA thinks that the union is going to take things sitting down, they need to get that out of their heads.

What the union needs to understand is that the days of management being bullied by unions are over, too. Unions generally, and air travel industry unions in particular, don't have the kind of power that they once did. Just ask some former PATCO employees. Granted that that situation was different (the collective bargaining agreement prohibited strikes), but the unions simply are not running the show any more. Everyone needs to be reasonable.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:09 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I am an ORD-based business traveler who flies predominantly to the West Coast. I status-matched to AS and have booked/ am booking all of my West-Coast travel on Alaska at least for the summer.
I simply do NOT have time for this nonsense.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.