Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

8-hour layover at LAX, do I need to re-check bags?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Flying SMF-LAX-SYD on AA with a 8 hour layover at LAX, arriving 15:00 and leaving 23:00. Can our bags be checked through with an 8-hour layover, or i will we need to collect and re-check? We'll be flying with a total of 15 bags (5 people, moving to NZ, so no excess baggage fees), and would obviously prefer to check them through rather than needing to collect them and wait until T-4 hours to be able to check them in again. When I called AA I was told the check-in agent will be able to tell us at the airport, which isn't exactly ideal.

Last edited by Big4Flyer; Jun 4, 2019 at 7:04 pm
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Can they? technically yes. The system should be able to do so up to 10 bags per individual and since you said We I imagine you have more than one traveler. If they have issue they can try splitting the PNR if the system rejects over 10 bags per PNR vs per person.

That said, have you looked into shipping the bags via freight instead? It would get it to your final destination and avoid having to get it to and from the airports including whatever time you have in SYD along with not having to pay the excess baggage fees.

If they are checked through be sure to confirm with the gate agent, have your bag tax numbers, for your LAX-SYD flight that the bags are being loaded. Do this about 15-20 minutes before boarding is to begin. The app should be able to track this but with so many bags and such a large move it's good to confirm.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: WN Companion Pass/AA Plat Admirals Club/SQ Solitaire
For that amount of baggage, I would use Luggage Free or a similar service.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Can they? technically yes. The system should be able to do so up to 10 bags per individual and since you said We I imagine you have more than one traveler. If they have issue they can try splitting the PNR if the system rejects over 10 bags per PNR vs per person.

That said, have you looked into shipping the bags via freight instead? It would get it to your final destination and avoid having to get it to and from the airports including whatever time you have in SYD along with not having to pay the excess baggage fees.

If they are checked through be sure to confirm with the gate agent, have your bag tax numbers, for your LAX-SYD flight that the bags are being loaded. Do this about 15-20 minutes before boarding is to begin. The app should be able to track this but with so many bags and such a large move it's good to confirm.
Yes, we're traveling with the allowed 2 free bags per person (5 travelers), so no worry about excess bag fees. We'll also be shipping other household items, but since those will be ship freight we're carrying with us just the things we'll need to for few months until they arrive.

We just want to make sure we don't have to collect and re-check our bags with such a long layover at LAX, since that would mean sitting landside with our bags for 4 hours until we can re-check them.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:08 pm

In answer to the question, AA should check the bags through, assuming both flights are on the same reservation (PNR).
JohnVernon and JDiver like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If they can't rent the cheapest minivan or hotel room you can find. Or call a hotel and ask if you can pay for luggage storage. The H hotel has a free shuttle and is really closeby. With 8 hours it'd be good to get out of the airport for a little bit.

but 3 bags per person shouldn't be a problem.

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Yes, we're traveling with the allowed 2 free bags per person (5 travelers), so no worry about excess bag fees. We'll also be shipping other household items, but since those will be ship freight we're carrying with us just the things we'll need to for few months until they arrive.

We just want to make sure we don't have to collect and re-check our bags with such a long layover at LAX, since that would mean sitting landside with our bags for 4 hours until we can re-check them.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dc10forlife
In answer to the question, AA should check the bags through, assuming both flights are on the same reservation (PNR).
Perfect, this is what we were hoping for. Is there a certain hour cutoff where they won't check bags through? I've heard of some who have overnight layovers who weren't able to check their bags through, just wanting to make sure this doesn't happen to us.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
I’d probably call AA a few times & see what different answers you get. My guess is they check it straight through. This probably happens for every such flight where they only depart once a day. If it somehow ends up on the carousel in LAX, it’ll just hang out at the bag office until you snag it & recheck it. Definitely download the AA app and continuously follow its progress at LAX no matter what.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:25 am

Perfect, this is what we were hoping for. Is there a certain hour cutoff where they won't check bags through? I've heard of some who have overnight layovers who weren't able to check their bags through, just wanting to make sure this doesn't happen to us.
AA's general policy is that you can only check bags same day, so overnight would be a problem but long same-day connections are not. There's a few airports that only accept bags four hours in advance, but LAX is not one of them.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
As long as it is on one reservation, AA will check through on connections less than 12 hours. If it's on separate reservations, then no they won't check through.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Flying SMF-LAX-SYD on AA with a 8 hour layover at LAX, arriving 15:00 and leaving 23:00. Can our bags be checked through with an 8-hour layover, or i will we need to collect and re-check? We'll be flying with a total of 15 bags (5 people, moving to NZ, so no excess baggage fees), and would obviously prefer to check them through rather than needing to collect them and wait until T-4 hours to be able to check them in again. When I called AA I was told the check-in agent will be able to tell us at the airport, which isn't exactly ideal.
Why do they get 3 checked bag free each, if moving to NZ?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Twelve hours. You’re safe as long as this is through ticketed on one PNR.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by mvoight
Why do they get 3 checked bag free each, if moving to NZ?
If OP is EXP or OWE then they get to check 3 bags at no charge.

I assume he says moving to NZ is the reason for so much luggage.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Twelve hours. You’re safe as long as this is through ticketed on one PNR.
Thanks for confirming, I appreciate the help!
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.