Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA136 - The engine cowling is missing and we fly - no, finally we won't fly (04/06)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA136 - The engine cowling is missing and we fly - no, finally we won't fly (04/06)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

Oh hey, I need a pic of that!

Came to FL lounge yesterday evening enjoying a few glass of Champagne before flying to London.

What surprised me that plenty of AA mechanical crew started to make pictures of the plane from around 430pm (scheduled departure 740pm). This caught my attention and as you can see on the pic, a part of the cowling engine #2 was missing. Given that I prepared myself for a cancellation but was surprised that, after a long discussion on the tarmac, load masters started to load the containers. Huh??

I thought 'really that's how we fly over the Atlantic'?

In the end, 2 more senior decision makers came at about 7pm and cancelled the flight (I think luckily). There was plenty of hail damage around on the plane (cone in front damaged, missing paint) etc. AA idea's then was to delay the flight until 230am as they ferry in a 777 from DFW - I gave up earlier and have asked them for rebooking +24 hours. Got cancellation notification then at 11pm so the ferry flight never happened but I was happy in my hotel room.

Anyway good to see it's (in the end) safety first but too eventful for my liking
Daniel

Last edited by Duck1981; Jun 5, 2019 at 9:38 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Did they remove it during the day or is it implied that it fell off during flight & the plane landed safely?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joeyE
Did they remove it during the day or is it implied that it fell off during flight & the plane landed safely?
It came in like that (according to other passengers in the lounge).
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
Wow. Glad you made the smart decision and just pushed your flight back a day.

I noticed this aircraft pulling up to the terminal as I was walking from T-4 to TBIT yesterday. After seeing how beat up it was, I took a few photos. When I looked, I think the plane had just arrived from Hong Kong as AA 192. Hopefully they get it fixed and back in the air soon; I don’t think AA has many spare 777-300’s sitting around.

Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Duck1981

Oh hey, I need a pic of that!

Came to FL lounge yesterday evening enjoying a few glass of Champagne before flying to London.

What surprised me that plenty of AA mechanical crew started to make pictures of the plane from around 430pm (scheduled departure 740pm). This caught my attention and as you can see on the pic, a part of the cowling engine #2 was missing. Given that I prepared myself for a cancellation but was surprised that, after a long discussion on the tarmac, load masters started to load the containers. Huh??

I thought 'really that's how we fly over the Atlantic'?

In the end, 2 more senior decision makers came at about 7pm and cancelled the flight (I think luckily). There was plenty of hail damage around on the plane (cone in front damaged, missing paint) etc. AA idea's then was to delay the flight until 230am as they ferry in a 777 from DFW - I gave up earlier and have asked them for rebooking +24 hours. Got cancellation notification then at 11pm so the ferry flight never happened but I was happy in my hotel room.

Anyway good to see it's (in the end) safety first but too eventful for my liking
Daniel
Of course, you weren't going to fly over the Atlantic with that engine situation! No need to be melodramatic...
Duck1981 and JDiver like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by formeraa
Of course, you weren't going to fly over the Atlantic with that engine situation! No need to be melodramatic...
I am fully with you - until the point they have started to load our bags and containers (for about 1,5 hours and I would say 3 different engineers checking the engine out beforehand - and one showing thumbs up to tarmac crew).

In the end of course you are right though.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
and one showing thumbs up to tarmac crew).
He was letting his partner in crime, Bubba, know he finally found his chew pouch.
altabello likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
He was letting his partner in crime, Bubba, know he finally found his chew pouch.
lol
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
AA idea's then was to delay the flight until 230am as they ferry in a 777 from DFW - I gave up earlier and have asked them for rebooking +24 hours. Got cancellation notification then at 11pm so the ferry flight never happened but I was happy in my hotel room.

Daniel
You made the smart choice immediately getting rebooked while most of the passengers grumbled about a 2am departure that never happened. I wonder why they gave up on the inbound 777, and if they "knew" it would never happen but decided a rolling delay was somehow better. Imagine standing in a line for a hotel room (since it was clearly mechanical) with a few hundred others...
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If the aircraft came in like that, I wonder if they were attempting to locate a replacement cowl piece, but failed?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K / HIlton Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
If the aircraft came in like that, I wonder if they were attempting to locate a replacement cowl piece, but failed?
That's my guess. The workers were expecting the parts to arrive in time or whatever and then, it didn't.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Sorry, OP, but can you tell us what airport you were departing from? Where the photo was taken? You being there know the airport, but it is a mystery to me.

Thank you
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by tonyburr
sorry, op, but can you tell us what airport you were departing from? Where the photo was taken? You being there know the airport, but it is a mystery to me.

Thank you
aa136

lax
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JDiver
Has to be. There's no chance they would do anything else.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:55 pm

Meh. Nothing a little 200mph 600mph tape wouldn’t fix.
Duck1981 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.