Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F meals not catered on 1000 mile flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by oyouno
I received a fast response from my complaint regarding no meal on my F flight and also the 2 hour delay which occurred prior to the no meal F flight.
They apologized for failing and applied miles to my account. They didn't specify or admit to the shortcomings in detail rather if it was the no meal or the 2 hr delay but it does seem they read the complaint and instead of blowing it off and responding with a copy/paste response and taking no action (which is what I fully expected to happen) they did the right thing at least for me and it restored my faith in AA. Having a bad experience dealing with any company can have a long lasting negative effect on the customer deciding to select to deal with the same company again in the future. There is always fine print somewhere that can be pointed to for a company to get around things and I am sure they could have pointed to no meals after 8pm or something but in my case they at least showed good faith in making it right. So now I went from being pretty upset from that flight and experience on AA to being treated fairly. It's all about customer service and now I am giving props to AA and looking forward to upcoming trips with them.
Nice of AA to do something at least. Just curious how many miles? 5k?

And the aapologists here just crack me up. Aren't most of you the road warrior business types? If your client did as poorly as AA does for your company, would you not expect some kind of compensation? Yet no matter what AA messes up, major or minor, the aapologists are out in full force. It's hilarious.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Antarius

The CoC is only one part of this. A hotel does not explicitly state that they have running water. They merely state they have showers. If you checked in and they told you, "our T&C merely said we have showers, not that they would be usable", would that be acceptable? Yes, airline food sucks and yes it does not cost a lot. But neither do the raw ingredients at a fancy Michelin star restaurant. That doesn't mean an advertised and therefore expected service not being delivered is ok, merely because it is somehow buried in fine print.
Agreed. In fact, your contract with the hotel may make no mention at all of showers, or closet hangers. And more specifically on the meals in F or J, the airline expressly alerts passengers that sometimes they will not have their preferred choice of meal. But a meal, some meal, is part of what the airline has promised to provide as part of the service. Where is it in the Cs of C is not the question.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
what are the realistic options to get reimbursed for a $5 cold breakfast?
I think the issue is not the $5.
On business trips one is always running out of time. Making time to be able to eat something can be a challenge.
A 2 hour flight can mean 5 hours travel time, which, personally, is a long time with an empty stomach.
An expected F meal saves time and gives me piece of mind I won't starve before getting home.

I know there is Starbucks and CPK at the airport, I know there are cafes on the first floor of the building where my meeting is at, but sometimes there is just no time.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by carlosdca
I think the issue is not the $5.
On business trips one is always running out of time. Making time to be able to eat something can be a challenge.
A 2 hour flight can mean 5 hours travel time, which, personally, is a long time with an empty stomach.
An expected F meal saves time and gives me piece of mind I won't starve before getting home.

I know there is Starbucks and CPK at the airport, I know there are cafes on the first floor of the building where my meeting is at, but sometimes there is just no time.
I get what you are saying. But once in a blue moon there's going to be a catering issue and the flight is going to need to leave without proper catering. Particularly Eagle flights with insane short turns. Ideally AA would send you a voucher (and yes AA pays far less for a meal than you would at the airport). If they don't you can ask and will probably at best get some miles thrown at your. If you want a voucher ($$) then you will need to badger AA or threaten to sue AA in small claims court. I guess I'm lucky I set the agenda with clients and always give myself time for the AC and/or being able to eat a proper meal. Even if upgraded I still put something in my stomach.
carlosdca likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I think some people really need to stop trying to be a lawyer for AA on the forums and look at this through basic common sense. When an company promises something (in this case a meal) and does not deliver it, there needs to be some type of compensation (the amount/format can vary based on the consumer and what was missed by the company).
I like that. "Some people." You mean me? Very clever.

The point I'm trying to make here is that there's a difference between what AA (or any airline) is required to provide and what it may choose to provide in the interest of customer relations.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I received a fast response from my complaint regarding no meal on my F flight and also the 2 hour delay which occurred prior to the no meal F flight.
They apologized for failing and applied miles to my account.
Nice. Good on AA. It doesn't always go down like that, but it's nice when it does.

It's all about customer service....
Exactly my point. AA has no obligation to do anything in this situation, but may choose to in the interest of good customer service/relations. If there's an AA lurker here, hopefully s/he will see the benefit and pass the word up the chain.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Nice. Good on AA. It doesn't always go down like that, but it's nice when it does.

Exactly my point. AA has no obligation to do anything in this situation, but may choose to in the interest of good customer service/relations. If there's an AA lurker here, hopefully s/he will see the benefit and pass the word up the chain.
At that rate, an airline isn’t under any obligation to do anything, including following provisions in the CoC. AA willfully violates the CoC on numerous occasions by closing the door early leaving paxs behind.

The only obligations come when facing a court order to do so. Everything else is voluntary until a pax chooses to litigate and wins.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by AndyAA

At that rate, an airline isn’t under any obligation to do anything, including following provisions in the CoC. AA willfully violates the CoC on numerous occasions by closing the door early leaving paxs behind.

The only obligations come when facing a court order to do so. Everything else is voluntary until a pax chooses to litigate and wins.
Exactly. The law or a contract isn't some clear, magical thing. There are requirements and legal considerations beyond customer service that fall outside a contract, and as you note, even something clearly in the contract is only as good as its enforcement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.