Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F meals not catered on 1000 mile flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The thought of taking some kind of action because one missed a $5 cold breakfast on a flight blows my mind.
Mynoles1 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bo94114
Many years ago on AF CDG-SFO the Caterers were on strike. We literally had vending machine sandwiches that were brought on board...in a trash bag...in J! The wine did flow as only beverages were boarded. Got zilch as was an Industrial Action. I always carry a bag of Almonds just in case
LHR Gate Gourmet strike, BA First, no food, only water, coffee and tea on board. BA handed out 50 UKP to F to buy something in the terminal.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The thought of taking some kind of action because one missed a $5 cold breakfast on a flight blows my mind.
Nothing for the pain and suffering of being hungry?
At least let the pax know in advance.
Compensation should be meaningful as a punitive measure, so they get their act together. Or they can just not give a hoot and watch their stock price slide into oblivion.

I’m only half kidding.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Missing your takeoff slot and tying up a gate over a catering bust on a morning flight? Once they finally convinced Dispatch they seriously wanted to wait for catering to come back they probably got told no, fire up the plane, and fly. Not to mention the other pilots now laugh them out of the airport. My mainline pilot friends all tell me there really are repercussions for busting the schedule over nothing. But yes an announcement and an opportunity to deplane should have been offered.

I was actually strapped in 10 rows behind one of them when the caterer completely didn't show. Capt. "H" got on the intercom and announced that there would be no onboard service and why, that he was going to keep the schedule "since most of you would prefer that", but the door would be open for five more minutes if you wanted to wait for a later plane. Of course I've seen other captains handle it another way--by announcing he "had directed the flight attendants to remain seated the entire flight due to expected turbulence". Even though nothing was forecast when I left for the airport. Or on the radar on my phone. Mysteriously didn't occur. At all . Smooth as glass. We all knew what was going on. We thought.

Last edited by jayer; Jun 5, 2019 at 1:31 pm
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SamOF
*If AA sold a Concorde flight from JFK to LHR and actually operated it with a 757 every day, I'm pretty sure there would be some legal claim there.
I am not sure how AA would do it, but when BA did flew it, Concorde was actually a different class of service (as in, above F). So if the Concorde didn't fly and its passengers had to be accommodated on a different aircraft, it was essentially a downgrade and they were compensated accordingly.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by rumboj
I average between 10 and 15 complaints annually.....And I’ve only ranged between non-status and Plat Pro.
YIKES
With 10-15 complaints each year over multiple years of elite level status (inferred from your "range"), I would think the people reading complaints you send in at this point would be doing their share of eye rolling.
Maybe you seriously have the worst luck for major problems...Or maybe you're just expecting WAY too much from them. This just seems like a ridiculously high number of complaints about anything.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
With 10-15 complaints each year over multiple years of elite level status (inferred from your "range"), I would think the people reading complaints you send in at this point would be doing their share of eye rolling.
Maybe you seriously have the worst luck for major problems...Or maybe you're just expecting WAY too much from them. This just seems like a ridiculously high number of complaints about anything.
Hmm, if that's for a 100+ segment/year EXP, that means a complaint about something - no food / wrong food catered, broken seat, broken wifi, mechanical delay, broken IFE (where relevant), etc. - 10% of the time. In my experience there is something valid to complain about on more than 10% of AA flights. Just saying...
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:13 pm

I just submitted my complaint due to the same issue.
No meal on a 4.5hour flight from CLT to LAS in F
A Cheese plate was the only thing served. I don;t expect much at all in way of compensation but it really made everyone unhappy when all F passengers most likely didn't eat lunch/dinner due to expecting it to be on the flight.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by oyouno
I just submitted my complaint due to the same issue.
No meal on a 4.5hour flight from CLT to LAS in F
A Cheese plate was the only thing served. I don;t expect much at all in way of compensation but it really made everyone unhappy when all F passengers most likely didn't eat lunch/dinner due to expecting it to be on the flight.
What time did the flight leave CLT? Did the reservation system indicate a meal when you booked? Did it allow you to pre-order a meal?

I think the meal window ends at 8pm, and there are some flights from PHL/CLT to western cities that leave after that don't necessarily get meals (there are some exceptions).
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
YIKES
I guess everyone has different standards of what to expect when they pay for something. I don’t think mine are unnecessarily high but they are certainly actionable items for AA to try to resolve. I would just rather tell AA versus starting an FT thread to discuss it or chiming in with my own service failure gripe when someone else posts about one. I find it is somewhat unfair to a business to not highlight service issues to them directly but then post about it online and drum up angst from others. My motto is if it bothers me, I let them know. If I forget and remember a few weeks later or on the next flight, then it probably wasn’t much of a concern to begin with.

And yes, sometimes I joke about them having my picture and contact info up in every service center due to the number of complaints over time.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:25 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by rumboj
And yes, sometimes I joke about them having my picture and contact info up in every service center due to the number of complaints over time.
There are quite likely many others in the AA customer service hall of shame board with well more than 10-15 complaints per year. If you're expending that effort to advise them of their wrongs, are you also sending compliments when you have good experiences?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
There are quite likely many others in the AA customer service hall of shame board with well more than 10-15 complaints per year. If you're expending that effort to advise them of their wrongs, are you also sending compliments when you have good experiences?
I actually do, albeit via Twitter or certs. Not sure what it does for the FA or AAgent but at least AA confirms they get logged. I am also probably one of the few flyers who emails AAdvantage Account Service to get additional recognition certs each year.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by largeeyes
Yes, it is. Delaying the flight even further for a few meals, inconveniencing many, would be pretty ridiculous, no?
I've been on a DFW to AUS flight which was delayed by more than 30 mins for catering. We were sat on the plane on the ground waiting for the drinks to be loaded for more time than we were up in the air. Didn't really figure out why - it was the last flight of the day so maybe they were waiting on breakfast to store on the plane overnight?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My rule of thumb -
If it happens once, write it off.
If it happens twice, complain.
If it happens three times, don't fly them anymore.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by PHL
If you're expending that effort to advise them of their wrongs, are you also sending compliments when you have good experiences?
I would imagine that the poster is sending a lot of “compliments”. They are green and have pictures of presidents on them and he hands over a number of them before each flight. “Good experiences” are what he is paying money and choosing AA for; he shouldn’t have to expend additional resources to confirm that AA delivered. Complaints, however, reflect a failure in delivery of the purchased service.

This is business, it isn’t a two way street. The customer may not always be right, but the customer should always get what they paid for, period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.