F meals not catered on 1000 mile flight

Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:09 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
F meals not catered on 1000 mile flight

On a Republic flight ex-PHL that was blocked at about 3 hours, just a bit over 1000 miles, we were delayed at the gate this morning awaiting catering. Just after boarding, they had initially loaded the plane with the carts that were wheeled to the back, presumably with drinks and snacks. Then the Captain comes on the PA and tells us we'll be delayed about 15 more minutes so that catering can bring meals for the F cabin that they forgot.

I was in seat 1A. About 10 minutes pass, and the front doors close. I never saw anything get loaded, so I thought maybe they loaded the back and they will later cart those meals up front. Nope. After take off the FA came through and apologized that "catering dropped the ball" and there would only be drinks and snack basket.

So...clearly, PHL ops screwed up. I didn't eat breakfast pre-flight because I expected the meal on board. The FA was apologetic, and of course this wasn't her fault. But more odd was that the Captain acknowledged on the ground, while the doors were still open, that they were waiting for catering and then ended up leaving anyway, I guess that's because an on-time departure is more important than providing an advertised service.

So - do I complain and, if I do, what should I expect in return? The F service fell short.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I would definitely complain. Someone screwed up...doesn't matter if it was AA or their sub-contracted catering service. If the flight was advertised as having a meal, and you paid for an F ticket, you should definitely get some compensation. If it was me, I think asking for $50-$100 in a voucher towards a future flight would be fair if you paid for the F seat. I know some on here will balk completely at that, but to me, that is a complete service failure on something that is promised during booking.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:48 pm

Since the flight originated in Philly, I'd ask for 2 FREE Dinner Vouchers as compensation, for either Zahav's, or a much lower, but more AA style alternative, The Palm.

Last edited by perseus11; Jun 3, 2019 at 9:55 pm
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PHL
On a Republic flight ex-PHL that was blocked at about 3 hours, just a bit over 1000 miles
What was the route? Need all the info.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by metallo
What was the route? Need all the info.
Doesn't matter. 900 miles and up gets a meal regardless of route on departures between 0500 and 1330.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Doesn't matter. 900 miles and up gets a meal regardless of route on departures between 0500 and 1330.
Knowing the route tells us a lot. No real reason to hide that. Much easier to affirm OP isn't mistaken if we have all the details.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by metallo
Much easier to affirm OP isn't mistaken...
That's a strange thing to feel the need to do.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
That's a strange thing to feel the need to do.
Alrighty then... not sure why you chose to take a stand on this, in particular. Strange, indeed.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by perseus11
Since the flight originated in Philly, I'd ask for 2 FREE Dinner Vouchers as compensation, for either Zahav's, or a much lower, but more AA style alternative, The Palm.
Nah, Pat's or Geno's.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I would definitely complain. Someone screwed up...doesn't matter if it was AA or their sub-contracted catering service. If the flight was advertised as having a meal, and you paid for an F ticket, you should definitely get some compensation. If it was me, I think asking for $50-$100 in a voucher towards a future flight would be fair if you paid for the F seat. I know some on here will balk completely at that, but to me, that is a complete service failure on something that is promised during booking.
What is it with us FTers? Everything less than 100% perfect requires compensation? How about when you're at McDonald's and they run out of fries? Do you demand compensation? Gas station's out of premium today. Compensation? Steak is overcooked. Sure, the restaurant will make you a new one, but why no demand for compensation? Why only in travel-related purchases?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I have myself never counted on a meal on a plane for my hunger. I will eat at home before my flight or if in transit will pick something up at the airport.
I know alot of passengers look forward to the food on the plane.. but is it really worth it?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
What is it with us FTers? Everything less than 100% perfect requires compensation? How about when you're at McDonald's and they run out of fries? Do you demand compensation? Gas station's out of premium today. Compensation? Steak is overcooked. Sure, the restaurant will make you a new one, but why no demand for compensation? Why only in travel-related purchases?
Run out of fries--you don't get but you don't pay
No premium gas--you don't get but you don't pay
First class meal--you don't get it but you paid

It is different.
Spiff, Daze, jordyn and 24 others like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by AlanInDC
Run out of fries--you don't get but you don't pay
No premium gas--you don't get but you don't pay
First class meal--you don't get it but you paid

It is different.
But I see that you omitted the overcooked steak example, which, I would agree, is much closer to what's going on here.

And what did you pay for in F? Is the airline contractually obligated to provide more than transportation?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
But I see that you omitted the overcooked steak example, which, I would agree, is much closer to what's going on here.
You said the restaurant would make a new steak. I don't believe AA offered to make a new breakfast. It would be akin to the restaurant running out of steak, giving you a snack basket of French fries, and charging for the steak bc you already ordered it.
Spiff, Daze, chrisny2 and 9 others like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
A breakfast at the airport would cost what around $10-$15. That should be the voucher amount, as if the OP had known there was no catering that is what he would have paid for breakfast in the terminal. $50-$100 is totally unreasonable and unjustified. Now many would feel as though chasing AA for $10-$15 is not worth it and would chalk it up to life in the fast lane.
writerguyfl and Uzzar like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.