Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Do I always have to ask for Club premium drink vouchers?

Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

Hi fellow Flyertalkers

Just sitting in the San Diego contract lounge enjoying my vouchers (thanks to FT I knew that it might be worth to ask for premium drink vouchers).

I am OW Sapphire so I got 2 but wondering- is it a general requirement to ask for these vouchers? On my way from LAX to San Diego the lounge dragon wasn’t giving me any (not that I wanted to stay that long at the Admirals club in the Eagles nest though).

Of course I went to the FL lounge before my flight

Anyway not a big problem but just wondering what the procedure is (and without FT I wouldnt be aware of the FL lounge or the vouchers either so thanks for all the knowledge here).

Daniel
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
In some lounges now (Phoenix for example) the vouchers are in the bar code on your boarding pass (so to speak) and you get strictly only two, whereas with the paper vouchers you could always go back and ask for more.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
I have a Qantas Club membership, and used to get paper vouchers. Now that they are electronic, there seems to be some ambiguity. At check-in they told me I could "try" showing my boarding pass to the bartender. On Friday I did get two glasses of Champagne, but not sure if the bartender actually found "electronic" coupons or not.

Anyone know if/how the coupons are created/added? Is it automatic, or perhaps happen when you check into the lounge?
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
you should always ask for them when you check in. The Admirals club agent in LAX should have given them to you as a OWS. Not sure if they are pre-loaded on your BP or if the agent has to load them when you check in.

At a contract lounge (like The Club in SAN) they give the coupons.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
In some lounges now (Phoenix for example) the vouchers are in the bar code on your boarding pass (so to speak) and you get strictly only two, whereas with the paper vouchers you could always go back and ask for more.
Same way at CLT, but should not we be able to get more when accessing AC's based on status and destination?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
ATL, is your boarding card.. when I was in PHL, it was the paper
all in all, I believe all the clubs will be using your boarding card in the future
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:11 am

I hadn't heard all this talk of the boarding pass aspect of this before - so does the bartender have a barcode reader, or how does that functionally work?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
I actually haven't heard of the boarding pass aspect. I'm still a BA Silver and when I check into lounge in SFO/LAX/PHL/CLT/ORD/LGA they often hand me drink vouchers (with date stamps). I never heard of the situation such as the OP, but to clear up any ambiguity - I would ask the Lounge Rep for a paper coupon.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
They were using barcode on your boarding card in TPA couple of weeks ago. The bartender had a small scanner behind the bar as I recall.
I think the agent at lounge entry desk must validate something in the system, since she insisted my other half hand over BP and enter lounge in her own right, rather than as my guest. Agent said that this way we’d both get two premium drinks.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Handing them out has long been a point of inconsistency.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Shawn02139
I have a Qantas Club membership, and used to get paper vouchers. Now that they are electronic, there seems to be some ambiguity. At check-in they told me I could "try" showing my boarding pass to the bartender. On Friday I did get two glasses of Champagne, but not sure if the bartender actually found "electronic" coupons or not.

Anyone know if/how the coupons are created/added? Is it automatic, or perhaps happen when you check into the lounge?
I also have a QC membership. I've been told I can use the boarding pass for drinks in PHX, ORD, and CLT. When I went to use it in PHX the other day, he looked at it, clicked on a couple of things, and gave me my drink. I'm pretty skeptical he actually did anything to associate the drinks with my boarding pass. Seems like a bartender at another club in PHX actually scanned my boarding pass.
zpaul likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by Shawn02139

I have Qantas Club membership as well, and the two coupons show up in my Boarding Pass upon check-in at ACs where they are now electronic (including my home airport of DEN). At ACs where they do not have the electronic coupons, I sometimes do have to ask since so many agents are unaware of the reciprocal benefits.
C17PSGR likes this.

Last edited by zpaul; Jun 5, 2019 at 8:08 am
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Certainly in PHX and also at T5 in LAX they are using the scanner. Last week at DFW at the A gates they were still handing out paper chits. That said, at LAX when I was last there the scanner wasn't working so the bartender had to go to the desk to get the vouchers for me!

Some lounges always give two vouchers, some just give one, others try and link it to class of travel, some will give more if you ask nicely, others stick to the limit. It's the usual inconsistency.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by fotographer
ATL, is your boarding card.. when I was in PHL, it was the paper
all in all, I believe all the clubs will be using your boarding card in the future
PHL still using date-stamped paper chits as of May 10.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
you should always ask for them when you check in. The Admirals club agent in LAX should have given them to you as a OWS. Not sure if they are pre-loaded on your BP or if the agent has to load them when you check in.

At a contract lounge (like The Club in SAN) they give the coupons.
Wait a minute.... There's a "club" at SAN? Why is this news to me after all these years of passing through my hometown airport? Granted the airport has changed significantly, but still... Thanks OP and FT for bringing this to light for me. Will have to check it out next month...

Cheers!!
Duck1981 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.