Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rant: AA non revs seem to regularly take the good seats and overheads on my flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant: AA non revs seem to regularly take the good seats and overheads on my flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:36 am

True! Given that the OP had in fact already DONE that however it seemed superfluous to mention.... ) Of course analysing/venting etc HERE will achieve precisely...nothing, so perhaps...both?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I don't know how all of this works exactly, but it seems that non-revs should always be put in Y and if they need to fill seats further forward they should "reward" AA elites for their loyalty by bumping them up rather than giving the seats away to employees traveling for free, no?
An airline never "needs" to fill premium seats for free, either with non-revs or through comp upgrades to revenue passengers (except arguably if Y is overbooked).

In any case, all revenue passengers who are qualified to sit in the premium seats on a given flight get the premium seats before any non-revs do.

It seems to bother some less if a premium seat goes out empty than if it goes out with a non-rev in it, which makes no sense - in either case you are not in it and got what you were willing to pay for.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Bear96
An airline never "needs" to fill premium seats for free, either with non-revs or through comp upgrades to revenue passengers (except arguably if Y is overbooked).

In any case, all revenue passengers who are qualified to sit in the premium seats on a given flight get the premium seats before any non-revs do.

It seems to bother some less if a premium seat goes out empty than if it goes out with a non-rev in it, which makes no sense - in either case you are not in it and got what you were willing to pay for.
Travel privileges are part of the benefits package of working for an airline. It's the same as fast food workers that get a free meal when they work albeit I'd much rather have a free flight in PE than a free Big Mac. Do you begrudge a fast food worker when they are munching down on their free burger and fries?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is an FT obsession with using the term "nonrev" as though it describes a sub-human rather than a trained professional who has an arrangement with her employer.
Bear96, moondog, T/BE20/G and 13 others like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Travel privileges are part of the benefits package of working for an airline. It's the same as fast food workers that get a free meal when they work albeit I'd much rather have a free flight in PE than a free Big Mac. Do you begrudge a fast food worker when they are munching down on their free burger and fries?
If that was directed at me, I think you misunderstood my post.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by Often1
There is an FT obsession with using the term "nonrev" as though it describes a sub-human rather than a trained professional who has an arrangement with her employer.
Sadly, this is true... And despite this, we are expected to get you and your loved ones home safely. It strikes me as funny.... You put your trust in us to fly you from say London to Newark, through all kinds of weather and other flying related obstacles, but if you catch one of us in a premium economy seat the next day, it's like the world is coming to an end.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by trooper
Well.... from this thread alone you should have deduced that non-revs CAN and in fact by POLICY (and employment agreements presumably) ARE given seats in whatever cabins are available AFTER paying pax have been allocated seating. If you think that "seems" to be the wrong way to do it I suggest you write to the airline (and the employee unions) and make your case for change.
I don't really care enough to get worked up into a fury as you seem to be. Just seems like if there are no Y seats left it would make more sense to "reward" a customer that gives the airline thousands of dollars/year by bumping them up a class to open up a Y seat for the non-rev, vs. leaving the $ maker for AA in Y while giving a free premium seat to an employee. I buy premium cabin tickets anyway, so this doesn't impact me/I don't really care, just not sure how it's good for AA (other than for the employees who are scoring free premium seats).
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bear96
If that was directed at me, I think you misunderstood my post.
Nope adding on that like other jobs there are non monetary perks and why should anyone be upset when employees take advantage of the non monetary perks afforded them.
chitink likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
What are the baggage rules on carrying one of these?

Miniature Violin: Small, 4 inches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00075PSBY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mkP9CbG0S58TV
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
I don't really care enough to get worked up into a fury as you seem to be. Just seems like if there are no Y seats left it would make more sense to "reward" a customer that gives the airline thousands of dollars/year by bumping them up a class to open up a Y seat for the non-rev, vs. leaving the $ maker for AA in Y while giving a free premium seat to an employee. I buy premium cabin tickets anyway, so this doesn't impact me/I don't really care, just not sure how it's good for AA (other than for the employees who are scoring free premium seats).
I don't think this makes much sense.
If there is an open seat in J/F, and there is "a customer that gives the airline thousands of dollars/year" in Y, then that customer is most likely an elite pax with high EQDs AND he will be given the J seat using one of the numerous upgrade instruments available to him.
If that customer can't get that J/F seat using the available upgrade instruments, then he is not really that valuable.

In any case, it doesn't matter!!
It is not a "reward'. AA and other airlines have that perk in place for their employees. It is what it is. Ain't changing that.

BTW. The only really valuable customers worth "rewarding" are CKs and high spending EXPs. Do you guys really run out of SWUs that you get stuck in Y? If so, don't you have enough miles to apply for a miles +copay upgrade to grab that last J seat?
And if the answer is "yes, I have the miles but not willing the spend the miles+cash for that crappy J seat", well then you really don't want the J seat that bad, OR you don't deserve to be rewarded. No?
moondog, ijgordon, trooper and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
arrogance, rudeness and condescension

All of that simply because they sat in an E+ seat and boarded before you?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: UA
I do not think of them as “scoring” free premium seats— it is part of the employment package.

Besides how would AA employees be able to work on their “arrogance, rudeness and condescension” or a Delta non rev be able to refine their skills of sitting in an “exit row drinking free wine with arrogance, condescension and conceit” without the seat upgrades?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Who says that there are no more economy seats left though? the member of staff is entitled to book into certain classes of services if that class of service is not sold out

If entitled to PE and there is a PE seat available, then the staff member can fly in it - this doesn't mean that the staff member can only fly in PE is economy is full
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:03 am
Suspended

What's up with these FT that have an issue with the airline giving their employees nice perks. How about if they trade their likely six figure job that pays for them to fly around the world in J for a FA salary spending their days pushing a beverage cart up and down the aisle dealing with human beings doing the dumbest things.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by biztraveler2007
A non rev in AA premium economy ? We so we pay extra for “premium economy“ from DFW to PEK and not only is a nonrev in a Premium Economy seat which could be for a paying customer, the nonrev takes the bin over my seat.
Perhaps you are not aware, but American Airlines offers checked baggage service. In order to avail of this offering, you merely need to dawn a tuxedo when you travel.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.