Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rumor: AA to order A321LR or A321XLR (confirmed - see new thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: AA to order A321LR or A321XLR (confirmed - see new thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
A321 across the Atlantic? No thanks
jacca83 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I’ll take newer a321 over old 757
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I've done it in a B757 once. It wasn't any worse than a B767, I'd argue even better.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
I've done it in a B757 once. It wasn't any worse than a B767, I'd argue even better.
I’m just not a fan of narrow body on more than 5 hour flights. 767 had more spacious cabin. Plus you get to travel back in time lol
jcatman and jacca83 like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
An empty row of three seats is an empty row of three seats except on a 767 your odds of claiming that are far worse. They might be a little wider on A321, better for attempted sleep.

I too a 757 LGW-CLE on CO back when that was happening after my LGW-IAH was so delayed I would have misconnected back to MSP. It was fine, and mostly empty. Maybe my opinion would have been different for a full flight.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
If you want to talk about rumors, US Airways was supposed to be one of the launch airlines of the A350, as Airbus helped fund the merger between America West and US Airways. There were actual orders for such, not just rumors.

How many A350s were in the US fleet at the time of the AA merger?
American still has an A350 simulator (or at least they did in March), although they're selling it this year.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by born sleepy
An empty row of three seats is an empty row of three seats except on a 767 your odds of claiming that are far worse. They might be a little wider on A321, better for attempted sleep.

I too a 757 LGW-CLE on CO back when that was happening after my LGW-IAH was so delayed I would have misconnected back to MSP. It was fine, and mostly empty. Maybe my opinion would have been different for a full flight.
My experience was also on CO, during the volcano mess I think in 2010. It was a very full flight, and I was just thankful that I got a seat. There was a brief period when CO was in *A before they merged with UA, and that was when my flight happened. I was in an exit row, they had IFE. The flight was LIS-EWR, but we made a fuel stop at GLA.

For a while US had quite a few B757's running PHL-Europe flights. I remember DUB, AMS, I think even LIS for a while (and an occasional second London flight, I think it was LGW), and EDI, probably others.

When you think about it, the time between PHL and far Western Europe isn't much more than PHL to SFO or LAX.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by born sleepy

The difference in internal fuselage width is seven inches. If the airline actually uses wider seats that could be 3” for a seat trio.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
The difference in internal fuselage width is seven inches. If the airline actually uses wider seats that could be 3” for a seat trio.
this reminds me of final months of Airberlin when you could have 4 XL seats all to yourself and FAs were guarding those seats. I scored it 3 times and got a good night of sleep. Those were the best Economy plus seats on TATL routes ...
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by william142
One point that is not being talked about here us the larger fuselage of tge narrow body airbus vs the boeing. This makes a big difference when it comes to seats. The extra 1 inch to 1.5 inches makes it a far more comfortable plane. The current 737 are horrible and the seats are narrow compared to the current 321s.
This. I've been saying for a long time that the A320 family beats the 737 all day every day from a comfort standpoint. The AA A321 is one of the better rides, if stuck in Y.
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Conversations confirmed:
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...urope-flights/

"American Airlines serial leaker JonNYC has been sharing speculation that the airline could announce an order for Airbus A321XLRs at the Paris Air Show, which runs later this month June 17-23. Bloomberg has just now confirmed discussions between American and Airbus about the aircraft."
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JonNYC
https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1134553388446900229

Conversations confirmed:
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...urope-flights/

"American Airlines serial leaker JonNYC has been sharing speculation that the airline could announce an order for Airbus A321XLRs at the Paris Air Show, which runs later this month June 17-23. Bloomberg has just now confirmed discussions between American and Airbus about the aircraft."
Serial leaker sounds like a prostate issue.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
321 XLR vs. 797

I wonder if AA will hedge any potential orders for the 321 XLR if Boeing announces that they will go ahead with the 797 program at the Paris airshow?

For one the 797 would be a twin aisle vs. a single aisle aircraft with somewhat more range. Much more efficient for boarding and deboarding the aircraft, plus with a more spacious feeling. The 797 is a potential replacement for the 757 as far as passenger load is concerned for mid-range flights.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
The A321LR/XLR actually solves a number of problems with AA's TATL operation at JFK. After the merger, AA was never going to keep/build a large connecting hub at JFK for TATL traffic. PHL is cheaper, less congested, and aside from leakage to EWR on the NJ side, they dominate the market. Going to all 777 at JFK was about two things: the horrible reliability of the 767 and the need for a better hard product. But the 777 is way too much capacity for most TATL routes out of JFK without a connecting hub, especially where there's competition (even Delta, who has a large connecting hub at JFK, uses the 767 on many TATL routes). Hence the end of most non-LHR routes out of JFK.

If AA actually outfits the A321LR with high-end all aisle seats similar to the A321T in F, it will be very competitive and allow them to go into business markets and skim the highest-dollar O/D business travel demand without having to compete on price with Norwegian at the low end. Business travelers are not going to book away from this just because it's a narrowbody. I remember when the A321T replaced the 762 on JFK-LAX and there were a lot of upset FTers, but in the end people liked it because the new planes were much more reliable and the smaller size actually gives quite a good sense of privacy. Not to mention very fast boarding/deplaning time.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
If this comes to fruition, I sure hope these planes will have IFE, but given the current thinking, who knows.
we will probably see seven across seating, BYO IFE, and hardback nonrecline first class AKA spirit. and yes, a single bathroom. No meal because the flight is under 2000mi, snack basket only. It’s what the customers want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.