Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New 40K miles promotion to open a CITI checking account

Old Jun 1, 19, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum

The promotion appears as one of the AA HP slides as of today.

Seems like a pretty straightforward way to earn 40K miles for those willing to park $15K for 60 days.
Old Jun 1, 19, 9:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Good luck getting the miles. I did a similar promo back in February (open account, download app and spend $400 get 30k). Still nothing. Credit card bonuses from Citi are quick, but the banking ones seem broken.
Old Jun 1, 19, 11:59 am

I'm still waiting on mine. Promo was 30k bonus miles, open an account by April 15 (I opened it early April), spend $475 (oddly specific requirement) on debit card transactions where bill pay doesn't qualify, and it said get the Citibank app and 'register an account' (I already had it working under the credit card)... will probably call them if I don't see the bonus by the middle of June, they normally build in processing time of "6-8 weeks" so if I call any sooner I'll get the runaround.
Old Jul 20, 19, 7:05 am

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Signed up for the promo and opened an interest checking account. At no point during the application process I was asked about the FF#; also unsure which available checking account I opened.

Did I do something wrong?
Old Jul 20, 19, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Gold, National Executive, IHG Gold
Just a FYI that for the banking bonuses Citi will issue you a 1099 for taxable income based on their value of the miles.
E55 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 19, 9:04 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: GLD; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly View Post
Just a FYI that for the banking bonuses Citi will issue you a 1099 for taxable income based on their value of the miles.
Yes, to clarify based on Citibank's valuation of the miles. Often at a unrealistically high value!
Old Jul 24, 19, 9:24 am

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
I called Citibank at the number listed in the welcome email. After multiple agent transfers, I was told by one agent miles would be automatically transferred to my AA account at the end of 60 days without any type of FF info verification. I pursued and asked him if he can send me confirmation in writing, to which he gave some corporate non-response and told me I could call back after I verified trial deposit amount.

Bye Citibank / AA
Old Jul 24, 19, 9:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Don't waste your time. Citi kept asking me for verifying docs via docusign and said they never got them until I went into a branch and had the manager fax them. Once received, they said the address on my app didn't match my docs because on the app I wrote my apt # as "404" and on my utility bill its "APT 404" they said a final decision was made and my app was cancelled and this cannot be undone. This is over 4 weeks of back and fourth. They deserve no ones business.
Old Jul 24, 19, 9:47 am

Programs: American Airlines
If only American Airlines would focus on being a better airline and less on the gimmicks and bs.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Jul 24, 19, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Signed up for the promo and opened an interest checking account. At no point during the application process I was asked about the FF#; also unsure which available checking account I opened.

Did I do something wrong?
How can they credit your AA account if they don't know the account number?
Old Jul 24, 19, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by LINDEGR View Post
Yes, to clarify based on Citibank's valuation of the miles. Often at a unrealistically high value!
The 1099 is based on Citibanks valuation, but you are not bound be that. I believe you can restate it at a more realistic value (that you can support).

I haven't done it however, too much of an annoyance.
Old Jul 24, 19, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
How can they credit your AA account if they don't know the account number?
Exactly. The person I spoke to kept telling me the miles credit would be automatic, but when I asked if I can get confirmation, he backed off.

If it is this hard to get basic confirmation, I am not going through 2 months of nonsense.
Old Aug 17, 19, 7:40 am

I received the miles by reporting to Citibank that the miles hadn't been deposited 90 calendar days after my eligibility was established. to their credit they took care of it within a day or two. Someone was asking how they know your AAdvantage number; it's tied to your address and name, it seems like. But when I reported the missing miles I gave them my Aadvantage number when they opened a ticket with the promotional/sales department. You can use online chat or call in; just make sure to pursue getting your miles to ensure you get them...
E55 likes this.

Search this Thread