Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American canít find one flight attendant at CLT?

American canít find one flight attendant at CLT?

Old Jun 2, 19, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Happened to me last year at DCA. No broad IRROPS, I think an FA called in sick. Prob ended up being an hour late but it was an annoying rolling delay and you couldnít stray too far from the gate.

DL would have had more FAs at the airport Iím sure if it was one of their hubs, and if they didnít, you would also get the app notification when boarding commenced, so you could at least go back to the club.
Old Jun 2, 19, 8:20 am

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Choice and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by taxatty56 View Post
Same thing happened to us recently for a CLT-MIA flight. It was short one FA so it was delayed. The GA announced that the FA was in the airport and would be arriving at the gate shortly. 45 minutes later, no FA, so obviously a lie. CLT is big, but a FA somewhere in CLT could have crawled to the gate quicker than that. 15 minutes later, the GA makes the same announcement, FA is on the way. When the FA then actually did show up a few minutes later, she got a standing ovation, and the flight left soon afterward.
I don't understand why you assume someone is lying to you when quite possibly a decision was made and then changed. The GA has nothing to gain by lying and unlikely was doing so.
justhere and 757FO like this.
Old Jun 2, 19, 8:42 am

Programs: AA Plat; former UA Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Happened to me last year at DCA. No broad IRROPS, I think an FA called in sick. Prob ended up being an hour late but it was an annoying rolling delay and you couldnít stray too far from the gate.

DL would have had more FAs at the airport Iím sure if it was one of their hubs, and if they didnít, you would also get the app notification when boarding commenced, so you could at least go back to the club.
Every airline has a finite number of reserves, and irrops regularly tests those limits at all airlines. If Delta has ďmoreĒ FAís that just sit around, then it magically resulted in the same problem because Iíve equally had to sit around waiting for crews on United and Delta just as often as on AA, even if Iíve had more flights delayed for other reasons on AA lately.

The next phase of users are testing AAís boarding push notifications too, in case you like that kind of thing.
Old Jun 2, 19, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Plat; former UA Gold
Originally Posted by Jeff767 View Post
We finally pushed 1:15 late. Still not sure why it took so long to get one flight attendant. It was a scheduled turn for the flight attendants with a local crew. No weather issues.
The weather has been BANANAS around the country this week, and FAís are scattered everywhere. My flight out of BWI this morning had over a dozen crew members on it. I canít believe we have to explain on FT the problems weather causes around the system even when itís not raining directly over your head. We all should understand this.
757FO likes this.
Old Jun 2, 19, 10:01 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL WFBF, National Emerald Club, Global Entry, CSR, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Happened to me last year at DCA. No broad IRROPS, I think an FA called in sick. Prob ended up being an hour late but it was anannoying rolling delay and you couldnít stray too far from the gate.

Waiting for a reserve FA is actually one situation where a rolling delay is justified. Just because they have a 2 hour window to report does not mean it will take that long (they tend to stay much closer to the airport than that because that 2 hours has to include a buffer to account for traffic etc.). It's not like these people wear GPS trackers, so once they are called it is essentially a waiting game, and the airline has a good reason not to want everyone to stray from the gate.
Old Jun 2, 19, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Jeff767 View Post
We finally pushed 1:15 late. Still not sure why it took so long to get one flight attendant. It was a scheduled turn for the flight attendants with a local crew. No weather issues.
You arrived 48 minutes late? Really? OMG!!!!! No other airline would ever have a flight arrive 48 minutes late !!!!!!!
Old Jun 2, 19, 12:21 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
If that was DL they would have trapped one of their time-out FAs in one of their planes and brought them in, but that's a different operational model...
Jagger3939 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 19, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by lougord99 View Post
I don't understand why you assume someone is lying to you when quite possibly a decision was made and then changed. The GA has nothing to gain by lying and unlikely was doing so.
I don't think the GA was intentionally lying with actual knowledge to the contrary. In my experience, the AA GA's many times don't have a clue what's really going on when there's a delay because they've been given incomplete or misleading information to disseminate.. The fact that the GA kept repeating "she's on her way" several times during the course of the long waiting period made it seem like the GA thought it was the truth, as there certainly was no reason for her to just make passengers angrier. If someone had instead authorized the GA to confirm that there had been such a "change in plans" or that some sort of mistake had been, that would have been fine--stuff happens----but that's not generally AA's style.
Old Jun 2, 19, 1:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA Gold
Same thing happened to me yesterday on AA2421 MIA->SFO. Scheduled to depart around 2015 but when time came to board, they said they were missing a flight attendant. This went on for another few hours, until we finally left nearly 3 hours late, resulting in a not-so-pleasant reverse redeye, arriving SFO at nearly 0230.