Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:27 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
STL-ORD anytime award showing 50k for a $254 ticket. Here's my favorite: a 22.5k web saver ticket. From what I see for the next month is this market once you get within 3 weeks of flight time then the 7.5k tickets disappear and things get astronomical.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:02 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Flight44
It’s this simple: The loyalty programs are nothing but a lie to lure people to a carrier. If Dougie Boi can change the rules and inflate the value or make it harder and harder to use the points, he will.

And so it goes.
If this were his main motivation, now is actually a bad time. Tightening FFP results in a one-time gain by reducing FFP liability on the balance sheet. To maximise the effect on share price, he should time it when investor confidence in AA is on an upswing, not in the doldrums.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
+1

I was 0/5 in 2018 (all waitlists that failed to clear). Currently have my first 4 2019 requests waitlisted.

And for the record, as someone who buys W, I would be delighted to not lose upgrades to Y passengers.
Agreed. Y and W should not be the same when it comes to upgrades. $$$ matters at the end of the day.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abk
STL-ORD anytime award showing 50k for a $254 ticket. Here's my favorite: a 22.5k web saver ticket. From what I see for the next month is this market once you get within 3 weeks of flight time then the 7.5k tickets disappear and things get astronomical.
Award levels look to be clearly tracking the various advance purchase requirements on the revenue fares. The first three revenue fares are basic economy while last two are main cabin fares, while all the award rates are web specials. DL has similar advance purchase requirements on their domestic award levels (they are documented in the award fare rules).

21-day advance = NVAIZNB1 fare = $142.30 = 7.5K miles
14-day advance = SUAIZNB1 fare = $173.30 = 15K miles
10-day advance = S8AIZNB1 fare = $187.30 = 16.5K miles
7-day advance = V7AIZNN1 fare = $236.30 = 21K miles
no advance = V0AIZRN1 fare = $253.30 = 22.5K miles

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 6, 2019 at 9:03 am
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by abk
I see HNL-LAX 90k miles for a $534 one way flight in J.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:42 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by beachfan
I see HNL-LAX 90k miles for a $534 one way flight in J.
I have been reading about how Chase and United are sparring about United complaining that Chase is competing with United credit cards with their own cards. If this is the way AA is going to approach their frequent flier program then there is no reason on earth not to use my CSR instead of an AA card and just pay for tickets. That would mean your ticket would cost 35.6K in Chase points most of which in my case are earned at 3 points per dollar charged.

As screwed up as AA is operationally and given the fact they only make money with their credit card business you would think now wouldn't be the time for a wholesale devaluation. I am not a Delta expert but my sense that there version of dynamic pricing is that empty flights cost less than full flights which is something I can grasp as opposed to the shear foolishness we are seeing here so far.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by abk
I have been reading about how Chase and United are sparring about United complaining that Chase is competing with United credit cards with their own cards. If this is the way AA is going to approach their frequent flier program then there is no reason on earth not to use my CSR instead of an AA card and just pay for tickets. That would mean your ticket would cost 35.6K in Chase points most of which in my case are earned at 3 points per dollar charged.

As screwed up as AA is operationally and given the fact they only make money with their credit card business you would think now wouldn't be the time for a wholesale devaluation. I am not a Delta expert but my sense that there version of dynamic pricing is that empty flights cost less than full flights which is something I can grasp as opposed to the shear foolishness we are seeing here so far.
That is exactly how I plan on burning our Chase points going forward. Chase's booking portal is horrible with the exception of most domestic flights which actually price out properly. Internationally it's a joke.
largeeyes likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BarrenLucidity
Agreed. Y and W should not be the same when it comes to upgrades. $$$ matters at the end of the day.
Two words: rolling EQD.

$$$ is already what matters.
Passmethesickbag likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by BarrenLucidity
Depends. A true Y is probably more expensive than W.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:59 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by GTITAN
Well whatever the changes are, you know JonNYC will inform us of them likely before anyone else in the general public. They will be either negative or positive depending on the person, and we will figure out how to maximize or to minimize the impact as the case may be. Thus, it will be much like any other change over the last gazillion years or so impacting the dAArkside.

Safe Travels
I don’t think there has been a single positive change that Discount Dougie has made since taking the helm aside from new aircraft (which Horton ordered) and the return of meals on TCON JFK-LAX/SFO. Everything else has been a negative change; especially, if you are Gold or Platinum.
Spiff, GUWonder and GTITAN like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Pro;Ritz Carlton Ambassador;Hilton Silver: SPG Gold
Any word on the upcoming changes?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: CK or bust
I would venture that to further lesson the value of award tickets, fees for voluntary day and/or routing changes will become more common-place for lower-echelon members in line with DeltAA and in conjunction with dynamic award pricing. It's generally the idea behind the "web special" pricing (as far as change fees go). Shlep it with the introduction of premium y redemptions and you have a "give and take" scenario that you can spin, no doubt backed by "customer feedback."
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Is it just me, or has AA removed the "Systemwide Upgrade" tab when searching for flights when C is available?
355F1 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by shd9
Is it just me, or has AA removed the "Systemwide Upgrade" tab when searching for flights when C is available?
That's always been buggy. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not.
shd9 and E55 like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I realize this isn't 100% applicable in this thread, but last week at just past midnight on July 25 I booked two Y award tix LAS-PHX-PHL on July 27 for 12.5K each. That presumably has nothing to do with the dynamic awards or web specials but it ain't bad for booking just over 48 hours out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.