Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019

Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019

Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by denCSA
MY SWUs generally go to waste now. We all complained about the reduction from 8 to 4, but the fact that they are so difficult to use with the tiny J cabins AA has anyways makes it a mute point. They are completely worthless without AA releasing any upgrade space in advance, so I won't care nor be shocked if they change these. I mean, you can't devalue something if it holds no value already, in my opinion.
It always amuses me that people who voluntarily eliminate a large portion of potential SWU use are so quick to declare SWUs "worthless".

I mean it's certainly your prerogative to not want to waitlist. That's certainly a choice people make - and have good reason to do so. No criticism from me about a choice to approach things that way.

But where it loses me is the extension that a choice to not want to waitlist means SWU's are across the board "difficult to use" and "worthless". Plenty of people clear SWUs off the waitlist. My own personal experience is that I waitlist SWUs regularly - and I've missed 1 request during 4+ years of EXP status. Easy to use and plenty of value, IME.

YMMV.
iadisgreat, Beltway2A and potus18 like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bse118
It always amuses me that people who voluntarily eliminate a large portion of potential SWU use are so quick to declare SWUs "worthless".

I mean it's certainly your prerogative to not want to waitlist. That's certainly a choice people make - and have good reason to do so. No criticism from me about a choice to approach things that way.

But where it loses me is the extension that a choice to not want to waitlist means SWU's are across the board "difficult to use" and "worthless". Plenty of people clear SWUs off the waitlist. My own personal experience is that I waitlist SWUs regularly - and I've missed 1 request during 4+ years of EXP status. Easy to use and plenty of value, IME.

YMMV.
I, like you, have done many a waitlist because that's pretty much the defacto way it works with AA these days. I've also cleared 90%+ of those waitlists. That's not really the issue most people have, it's a mental thing. It's the massive difference between Y and J, and having to wait, watch, wonder at the inventory until the magic T minus 25 hour clearance occurs. The waitlists don't even clear until it's really close in for most flights. The only saving grace to AA SWUs is the ability to use them on every class, unlike UA. But with UA, they at least release a decent amount of upgrade space in advance.

In the end though, they are worthless, because I'd rather purchase W or J to have my expectations set instead of upending them for the better at 25 hours prior to departure.
enviroian likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I, like you, have done many a waitlist because that's pretty much the defacto way it works with AA these days. I've also cleared 90%+ of those waitlists. That's not really the issue most people have, it's a mental thing. It's the massive difference between Y and J, and having to wait, watch, wonder at the inventory until the magic T minus 25 hour clearance occurs. The waitlists don't even clear until it's really close in for most flights. The only saving grace to AA SWUs is the ability to use them on every class, unlike UA. But with UA, they at least release a decent amount of upgrade space in advance.

In the end though, they are worthless, because I'd rather purchase W or J to have my expectations set instead of upending them for the better at 25 hours prior to departure.
Well said!
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bse118

YMMV.
Ive had some success clearing upgrades at time of booking, primarily TATL. Ive also failed to clear 100% of the times Ive waitlisted. I take very few international trips a year, so if I fail to clear a waitlist, chances are my SWUs will expire unused unless I burn them for some 3 hour domestic flight.
Dad to Rei and enviroian like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
FWIW, I had a chance to use a SWU off the waitlist on SYD-LAX but passed on it because it would have meant traveling separately from my spouse. It certainly isn't impossible to clear, just... more onerous if you're trying to clear more than one seat at a time
E55 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:34 pm
E55

Passengers won't have any confirmed upgrade space if there's no saver award space. Win win for AA.

MY SWUs generally go to waste now. We all complained about the reduction from 8 to 4, but the fact that they are so difficult to use with the tiny J cabins AA has anyways makes it a mute point. They are completely worthless without AA releasing any upgrade space in advance, so I won't care nor be shocked if they change these. I mean, you can't devalue something if it holds no value already, in my opinion.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by E55
Passengers won't have any confirmed upgrade space if there's no saver award space. Win win for AA.
Why? they come out of different inventory
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P

You seem to have a misunderstanding of the purpose of a SWU.

With that said, I've never missed one I requested.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
You seem to have a misunderstanding of the purpose of a SWU.

With that said, I've never missed one I requested.
Clearly...like so many others.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
That's not really the issue most people have, it's a mental thing. It's the massive difference between Y and J, and having to wait, watch, wonder at the inventory until the magic T minus 25 hour clearance occurs. The waitlists don't even clear until it's really close in for most flights.
Easy to fix that: expect to fly the class that you buy. Don't sit around and obsess over inventory. A "mental thing" doesn't say anything about the utility of SWUs.

I buy discount Y because that's company policy (occasionally W is allowable). I buy the tickets I need for the dates and destinations I need. I request the upgrade if I want to and have instruments to use. If not available at booking, I check back around T-30 to T-25 to see if it's cleared and I can order a meal. Sometimes I don't request the upgrade in advance and just check AA.com shortly before departure to see if any C space has shown up.

I do all of this knowing there is a very good likelihood that I'll clear.

Matter of fact - just cleared a Y-->J Miles and Copay upgrade off the waitlist for LAX-HND.

And, yes, I fly solo. I can appreciate that it might be a somewhat different situation for couples/groups.
iadisgreat likes this.

Last edited by bse118; Jul 5, 2019 at 12:02 pm
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
+1

I was 0/5 in 2018 (all waitlists that failed to clear). Currently have my first 4 2019 requests waitlisted.

And for the record, as someone who buys W, I would be delighted to not lose upgrades to Y passengers.
enviroian and no1cub17 like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: American Airlines
It’s this simple: The loyalty programs are nothing but a lie to lure people to a carrier. If Dougie Boi can change the rules and inflate the value or make it harder and harder to use the points, he will.

And so it goes.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Well whatever the changes are, you know JonNYC will inform us of them likely before anyone else in the general public. They will be either negative or positive depending on the person, and we will figure out how to maximize or to minimize the impact as the case may be. Thus, it will be much like any other change over the last gazillion years or so impacting the dAArkside.

Safe Travels
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I'm sitting here around 130EQM and $800 short of the EQD threshold waiting to get to $15k since AA ACTUALLY opened up C space on flights I want to use SWU on and I can't do it.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Flight44
It’s this simple: The loyalty programs are nothing but a lie to lure people to a carrier. If Dougie Boi can change the rules and inflate the value or make it harder and harder to use the points, he will.

And so it goes.
The latter part of your statement is probably true -- if possible, AA may attempt to limit its liability with regard to outstanding benefits, although in doing so, they have to attempt to limit negative effects on loyalty.

Overall, though, I'm not sure how this could all be construed to be pure lying. As far as I can tell, with the exception of a few errors over the years (mostly human error), I've received all the benefits to which I'm entitled. Those benefits may be ever-changing and, these days, seemingly constantly shrinking, but it's not like the whole thing is just some massive fraudulent scheme lol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.