Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
The lack of saver availability, with decent flights/connections if frustrating.

You could call AA and have an agent search for saver availability on the dates you require, and see what comes up - tell them you don't care what cities in Europe (or have a list)

you could just keep checking yourself, or you could hire an award search service that will do this for a fee.

With a long airport (overnight) layover I would get a hotel room at the airport. Cost of doing business, unfortunately.

Perhaps someone on Flyertalk with more time than me can give you some specific help.

good luck!

Thank you. Yes I will wait. I remember someone once commented on making sure i dont fly through London. I think that cuts off France, Italy and England itself. Then I looked at Spain. BCN is served very cheap by Norwegian so i don't want to use my miles for a fraction of perceived value to BCN. So I looked at MAD and that required punishing layover in Dallas with 6 year old. No wife approved. I looked at even Caribbean and nothing good either.

One thing I don't know is how to use miles with another airline that is by phone only. I hate calling CSR for AA because they want exact date and City. Very annoying. They dont want to search to give advice and they rather have my miles expire worthless.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
There are award search services that do this for a fee? Wow. I have been away from the Award game for a long time.

Are there any decent ones folks here would recommend? LoL. The amount of time I have spent in the past two weeks trying to a) come up to speed on AA's program, partners, and nuances specific to possible destinations I'd consider, and b) actually trying to look for awards, is actually becoming nonsensical. An absurd amount of time, even to me who loves travel and plan travel and learn about travel.

Along with this general topic, how much easier would my life be in looking for awards, if I subscribed to EF? Is it user friendly? / How big is the learning curve to use?
Award booking services - a list and some reviews
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rumboj

I keep asking this same question. I don’t see how AA’s program is deficient compared to the other carriers. It seems to be clearly better but everyone has a case of sour grapes because of the potential devaluation. The reality is AA seems to be giving more than its competitors. That is usually a scenario that leads to a desire to make some cuts.
The issue is, AA is offering less and less in terms of Oasis and their abysmal operations.

So gutting the FFP to match others is only wise if the others don't offer things like on time flights and bags delivered in 20 minutes etc.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
The issue is, AA is offering less and less in terms of Oasis and their abysmal operations.

So gutting the FFP to match others is only wise if the others don't offer things like on time flights and bags delivered in 20 minutes etc.
Actually, gutting the FFP is wise if you expect your clientele to fall in line, which is what the others do and succeed it. So many flyers have been complaining for years but they are still flying AA. And for every flyer who is complaining and saying they are going to Delta, there’s a Delta flyer who is complaining and threatening to go to UA, while UA has a flyer planning to move to AA.

At the end of the day, AA doesn’t see as much value in its FFP providing more as it does in providing less. It is a hard sell when your competitors are providing much less than you are. Eventually, everyone will get used to it and suck it up when they realize they cannot just move to another carrier and use a feature similar to AA’s SWU and go Y to J, for example.

Last edited by rumboj; Jun 3, 2019 at 11:22 am
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Actually, gutting the FFP is wise if you expect your clientele to fall in line, which is what the others do and succeed it. So many flyers have been complaining for years but they are still flying AA. And for every flyer who is complaining and saying they are going to Delta, there’s a Delta flyer who is complaining and threatening to go to UA, while UA has a flyer planning to move to AA.

At the end of the day, AA doesn’t see as much value in its FFP providing more as it does in providing less. It is a hard sell when your competitors are providing much less than you are. Eventually, everyone will get used to it and suck it up when they realize they cannot just move to another carrier and use a feature similar to AA’s SWU and go Y to J, for example.
I disagree. UA saw this exact thing happen under SMI/J post merger. Their IT was a disaster, operations were a disaster, and HV customers got frustrated and bailed. I'm not a crazy high value spender, but I walked from CO post merger and never looked back.

Yes, there are FTers who like histrionics and threaten to leave, but most High Value flyers aren't aviation enthusiasts. If the operations are a problem (flights canceled, bags lost), the product gets cheapened (no bag space under F seats, no legroom) and then the FF program gets gutted, then people who aren't tied into the programs or FT and the ilk will walk.
enviroian, GTITAN and golfingboy like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't understand the question - a regular passenger can get a 'better' seat at the airport for no charge ; the check in desk at, say LHR, will not charge a normal economy ticket holder a fee for a different seat

The charge made by AA online is for advance seat selection - similar to how other airlines operate in charging for seat selection
I am now seeing the FA defending the empty MCE seats from onboard 'self-upgraders'. This has only happened since AA added the 'free drinks' perk to MCE.

If AA choose to seat a group 9 person in MCE before boarding then that is fine of course, they just got lucky.

Last edited by Mark_T; Jun 4, 2019 at 7:42 am
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by brooklynite
Then there are layovers. ... The layovers to Madrid are 12 hours in Dallas mostly overnight and in a way that is impossible with a family. Arrive at 11pm fly out at 10am?? So sleep in the airport?
In this case, Yes, sleep in the airport. DFW has not one but two Hyatts (a Regency and a Grand) in airport terminals, with the Grand Hyatt in/above the international D terminal. The entrance to the hotel is inside the terminal and something like 100 feet from the security checkpoint. This means not having to pad your schedule to deal with the variability of a courtesy shuttle. And, with a layover less than 12 hours, you could through-check your bags so as to not have to deal with that in the morning. You could get more or less a full night's sleep with the layover you mentioned. I've done just this at DFW several times for international AA award tickets.
Markie, GTITAN and AAEmpireState like this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:49 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Actually, gutting the FFP is wise if you expect your clientele to fall in line, which is what the others do and succeed it. So many flyers have been complaining for years but they are still flying AA. And for every flyer who is complaining and saying they are going to Delta, there’s a Delta flyer who is complaining and threatening to go to UA, while UA has a flyer planning to move to AA..
I fell in line and matched to AS MVPG75k. Much better earning and only 50k for a oneway CX J award with good availability. And, the first time I took an AS flight (SFO-MCO nonstop vs AA's one-stop,) the UPG cleared 5 days out, and the seats in FC are much better than any narrow- body, excluding the 321T, AA plane. Also, the food was better quality and taste.

Looks to me like AA already has dynamic award pricing as the anytime awards vary greatly from 2x milesaver as I see many dates at up to 80k even domestic flights.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 9, 2019 at 10:43 am Reason: Close quote
Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rbAA
...Looks to me like AA already has dynamic award pricing as the anytime awards vary greatly from 2x milesaver as I see many dates at up to 80k even domestic flights.
Yeah, that changed a little over 5 years ago.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:25 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Yeah, that changed a little over 5 years ago.
Thank you, my point exactly.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Thank you, my point exactly.
No, it's not.

Dynamic Pricing is different, and still coming, what you're talking about "anytime awards vary greatly from 2x milesaver") came in 5+ years ago:

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...how-they-work/

When Dynamic Pricing is fully implemented, award pricing won't look anything like what you're seeing now and won't be limited to what we currently call anytime awards.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
... only 50k for a oneway CX J award with good availability. And, the first time I took an AS flight (SFO-MCO nonstop vs AA's one-stop,) the UPG cleared 5 days out, and the seats in FC are much better than any narrow- body, excluding the 321T, AA plane.
Shill much? The legacy AS seats barely recline. Perhaps you had an ex-VX plane, but AS doesn't compete with the legacies for hard product.

And the redemption rate on CX may be lower... but the availability is the same.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
And, the first time I took an AS flight (SFO-MCO nonstop vs AA's one-stop,) the UPG cleared 5 days out, and the seats in FC are much better than any narrow- body, excluding the 321T, AA plane.
I've flown SFO-MCO a few times this year and it's always been on Airbus aircraft with 8 seats in F. Those will be replaced over time. I know there's at least one retrofitted aircraft out there right now. The electric controls for the seat are not reliable and you might find yourself locked in a reclining position and in need of a flight attendant to come and manually push you forward.

If you were on a 737-900, you'd be in a 16 seat F cabin with seats like this with minimal recline, though I find the seat itself quite comfortable:

Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Shill much? The legacy AS seats barely recline. Perhaps you had an ex-VX plane, but AS doesn't compete with the legacies for hard product.

And the redemption rate on CX may be lower... but the availability is the same.
No, I never shill. Just pointing out a difference I saw. As tom911 points out, the Airbus seat is the one to look for, and I never had trouble with the controls.

On the CX award availability, my experience was just one data point, but I did call AA first as I have more AA than AS miles, and AA had nothing to offer. AS had a number of options including PE at 35k one way.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
No, it's not.

Dynamic Pricing is different, and still coming, what you're talking about "anytime awards vary greatly from 2x milesaver") came in 5+ years ago:

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...how-they-work/

When Dynamic Pricing is fully implemented, award pricing won't look anything like what you're seeing now and won't be limited to what we currently call anytime awards.
I don't know if we need to slice the bologna so thin, but I'm seeing a coach award HKG-LAX priced from 35k to 85k. Or, a CLT-NYC varied from 5.5k to 30k. The "new" award booking page didn't give me the usual calendar view, so....

Last edited by rbAA; Jun 9, 2019 at 6:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.