FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Tornado Warning sirens at DFW 29 May 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1971818-tornado-warning-sirens-dfw-29-may-2019-a.html)

enviroian May 29, 2019 12:18 pm

Tornado Warning sirens at DFW 29 May 2019

I'm at the AC in A. The airport sirens are going off and my phone alert just went off saying there is a tornado warning until 1:45. Warning means one has touched down correct? I guess I'm not going to be on time to Tulsa today!

enpremiere May 29, 2019 12:21 pm

Severe Weather Statement
National Weather Service Fort Worth TX
108 PM CDT Wed May 29 2019

TXC439-291845-
/O.CON.KFWD.TO.W.0027.000000T0000Z-190529T1845Z/
Tarrant TX-
108 PM CDT Wed May 29 2019

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 145 PM CDT FOR CENTRAL
TARRANT COUNTY...

At 107 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
was located over Lakeside, or near Lake Worth, moving east at 35 mph.

HAZARD...Tornado and golf ball size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed. Damage
to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur. Tree damage is
likely.

This dangerous storm will be near...
River Oaks and Sansom Park around 115 PM CDT.
Saginaw, Blue Mound and Haslet around 125 PM CDT.
Haltom City around 130 PM CDT.
Watauga and Richland Hills around 135 PM CDT.
Bedford, Hurst, Colleyville and North Richland Hills around 140 PM
CDT.
Fort Worth, Arlington, Grand Prairie and Euless around 145 PM CDT.

Other locations impacted by this tornadic thunderstorm include
Westover Hills.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW! If you are outdoors, in a mobile home, or in a
vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter now! Get to an
interior room on the lowest floor of a sturdy building and avoid
windows.

&&

LAT...LON 3298 9703 3271 9704 3270 9755 3290 9755
3298 9709
TIME...MOT...LOC 1807Z 261DEG 31KT 3282 9749

TORNADO...RADAR INDICATED
HAIL...1.75IN

$$

USFlyerUS May 29, 2019 12:22 pm

Not necessarily. Usually means the radar shows what appears to be a tornado. Still, not something to ignore.

enviroian May 29, 2019 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS (Post 31150340)
Not necessarily. Usually means the radar shows what appears to be a tornado. Still, not something to ignore.

I've never been in an airport during a warning. I assume it's safer in this A club than a home any day. I also assume they would make announcements if taking cover is recommended.

I'm looking out the windows now that face the parking lot at A. The sky is very dark now and the lightening in coming. Wow.

enviroian May 29, 2019 12:32 pm

I'm watching my inbound equip from PIT (1716) start a holding pattern about 60 miles southeast of DFW now. Ugh.

enviroian May 29, 2019 12:54 pm

My inbound flight from PIT was just diverted to Fort Hood!

Now what?

JJeffrey May 29, 2019 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 31150475)

Now what?

No soup for you.

nachosdelux May 29, 2019 1:00 pm

Now what?

you have 16,000+ posts and can't figure it out???? probably going to be a long day. sorry.

Antarius May 29, 2019 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 31150356)
I've never been in an airport during a warning. I assume it's safer in this A club than a home any day. I also assume they would make announcements if taking cover is recommended.

I'm looking out the windows now that face the parking lot at A. The sky is very dark now and the lightening in coming. Wow.

the severe weather shelters in DFW are the bathrooms. So if it actually hits the airport, they will likely make announcements for everyone to take shelter there and away from the windows.

Until then, it is just going to be a long day of delays. Ce'st la vie

Brooke.E May 29, 2019 1:06 pm

Now what?

Unfortunately, from what I am seeing the weather forecast for the rest of the day at DFW looks bad and it doesn't look much better in Tulsa. I truly hate to say it but if I were in your place I probably wouldn't have too much hope of getting out and would probably be looking at trying to book an early morning flight out tomorrow morning before those all fill up (weather looks fine tomorrow). I am not suggesting that is what you should do as everyone has to make the decisions that are best for them and their own unique circumstances.

Good luck and stay safe!

I would personally be freaking out if I was in an airport during a tornado warning (unless they have underground tunnels or such to take cover in) but I am sure they will point you to the safest places in the airport if the need arises.

fastflyer May 29, 2019 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 31150356)

I've been at MCI during a tornado warning. We exited the secure zone, and we all filed into the underground parking passageways. TSA disappeared after a few minutes. The all clear and re-screening took about an hour.

BTW there are two flavors of tornado warnings -- radar indicated and ground observed. The former gets an extreme alert; the latter gets an extreme alert with the words "Tornado Emergency. Take shelter now."

wrp96 May 29, 2019 1:09 pm

For how it has been handled previously, here's one incident from 2012 https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/DF...145993015.html If you absolutely have to be in Tulsa you might consider getting a rental car and driving although I'm not certain if the flooding is blocking the route there.

Antarius May 29, 2019 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Brooke.E (Post 31150516)
I would personally be freaking out if I was in an airport during a tornado warning (unless they have underground tunnels or such to take cover in) but I am sure they will point you to the safest places in the airport if the need arises.

The restrooms.
https://gb.fotolibra.com/images/larg...ls/848865.jpeg

aztimm May 29, 2019 1:17 pm

Now what?

GRK is a shared military and commercial airport. I've flown out of there. AA has I think 7 flights a day between GRK and DFW.

What did the agent at the lounge say?

WiscAZ May 29, 2019 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 31150523)
If you absolutely have to be in Tulsa you might consider getting a rental car and driving although I'm not certain if the flooding is blocking the route there.

This was my thought. I had a similar long delay a couple years back on a flight to OKC (about an hour from Tulsa). Rather than take my chances I rented a car and made the drive. A quick google search shows a 4 hour and 15 minute drive from Dallas to Tulsa so if you have to be there tomorrow this may be your best bet. When this happened this was the first part of my journey as I had a return back to PHX the next evening. I simply called AA explained the delay and that I was going to find my own way to OKC and then take my return trip and they made the adjustment with no issue. NOTE: I can't speak to any road conditions just merely offering an alternative option.