Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Tornado Warning sirens at DFW 29 May 2019

Tornado Warning sirens at DFW 29 May 2019

Old May 29, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No soup for you.
Actually I did. Tomato Florentine.
cedric, KBMIFlyer, JAXBA and 1 others like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm
GRK is a shared military and commercial airport. I've flown out of there. AA has I think 7 flights a day between GRK and DFW.

What did the agent at the lounge say?
I didnt ask. I figured Id get more info from the gate agent at A21 but there is no one here now.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I'm not sure what you are looking at, but AA 2275 is now scheduled to depart DFW at 2:51pm (arrive TUL at 4:08pm):
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...946Z/KDFW/KTUL

The incoming aircraft is coming from RNO.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Old May 29, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm
I'm not sure what you are looking at, but AA 2275 is now scheduled to depart DFW at 2:51pm (arrive TUL at 4:08pm):
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...946Z/KDFW/KTUL

The incoming aircraft is coming from RNO.
I know that’s what I’m looking at but that plane arrived at C22 at 5:48 this morning. There is no plane here at A21 right now.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:55 pm

Quite a route to get around the bad weather today...

wrp96 and no1cub17 like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Is that STL video from May 21 at about 1830? I was there, we had just completed boarding our flight to CLT (they were trying to get us boarded and out of there fast before the storms arrived) when we were told to de-plane and seek shelter. By the time we got off the airplane, most folks in the terminal were crowded near the bathrooms, and we were advised to stay away from the windows. Yes, the sky got very dark very fast. Warning info was being shown on the monitors and over loudspeakers. A colleague was monitoring NWS and weather radar and texted me when the actual line had passed through, after which I went and sat back down at the gate. Airport gave the all-clear roughly 10 min later. We ultimately departed about 2 hours late, and had a pretty rough ride for the first hour as we flew eastward through that same line of storms.
Old May 29, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Storms have already moved off. The real severe stuff (with rotation noted on radar) was north of KDFW. We got some heavy rain around the airport, that's it. Everything is clearing off now, so it looks like about 60-90 min of weather and now airport ops should be back to full service.
enviroian likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Looks like the FAA has issued a stop for traffic arriving and delays of AT LEAST 1.5 hours, with increases

very likely.
Old May 29, 2019, 2:26 pm

More storms likely this evening, so buckle up for a long evening / night at DFW. The atmosphere is still very heavy outside, and radar shows storms rebuilding behind the first line that just cleared through.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This trip is part of a multi leg itinerary. If I see this flight isn’t going to go by say 6 pm I’ll go home. My planned trip was dfw-tul today for morning meeting then late afternoon tomorrow tul-dfw-phx then phx-dfw Friday.

If I have to cancel this leg I hope my existing itinerary won’t be compromised.
Old May 29, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OUTraveling
Looks like the FAA has issued a stop for traffic arriving and delays of AT LEAST 1.5 hours, with increases

very likely.
That update message has since lapsed.
Old May 29, 2019, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
This trip is part of a multi leg itinerary. If I see this flight isnt going to go by say 6 pm Ill go home. My planned trip was dfw-tul today for morning meeting then late afternoon tomorrow tul-dfw-phx then phx-dfw Friday.

If I have to cancel this leg I hope my existing itinerary wont be compromised.
Just rent a car and drive to TUL. It's only 4 hours... if you drive the speed limit.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by econometrics
Just rent a car and drive to TUL. It's only 4 hours... if you drive the speed limit.
http://ok.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Viewe...9ccfd58d92c3da is the Road Conditions Map for Oklahoma if he decides to take our suggestion.
Old May 29, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Fun stuff. Glad to hear it blew over.

FWIW, always look at the SOURCE info regarding tornado warnings. There are really three modes of panic:

1. "Radar indicated rotation" should provide you with the lowest level of tornado panic -- such warnings occur something like 10 times for every actual tornado. In the south central US, there are great storm spotters, so really 'radar indicated' usually only means that a tornado may form because there is enough spin in a wall cloud, but there isn't probably a tornado really on the ground because if there was one, a spotter would have seen it (two caveats: night time warnings are usually difficult to confirm, and look for the words rain-wrapped, in either case, proceed with panic level 2 below). With this type of warning, I would simply google the local news stations on my phone to see if they have a live stream of the action, unless forced to move elsewhere by staff.

2. Any words like "observed" or "confirmed" means a tornado was spotted on the ground -- can be both the tiny things and the big things, but something to raise your panic level over. I'd move to a shelter at this point while googling for a local weather stream, or at least get away from the windows. I would not recommend staying in the AC at DFW for a confirmed tornado since it is one level higher than the main terminal and wouldn't be safe even in a weak tornado. At DFW, even if I couldn't get into the designated shelters, I'd move into a restaurant or shop on the inside of the C to get away from the windows.

3. The words "tornado emergency" are reserved for confirmed tornados that are confirmed and causing considerable damage. Forget about finding more information, that is when your panic level should be the highest and you should move move move (though, don't trample anyone)!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.