Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon Aircraft/Seating Advice Needed Mainland-Hawaii

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2019, 7:38 am
Original Poster

I am going to book my daughters honeymoon flight for next spring from NYC or BDL to Hawaii (HNL or OOG) using points in first class as a gift. The first leg options are all narrow body. My question pertains to the second leg and the quality of the experience including the seat selection so that they can see each other and talk during the flight. The routing/aircraft options are ORD 787, DFW 777, LAX a321 or PHX a321neo. I read that the 787 option have seats in that version referred to as coffins because they are narrow. My initial thought is to go with a wide body options for a more "international" feeling experience. Please advise including any seat selection tips.
Old May 27, 2019, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by craigneg
I am going to book my daughters honeymoon flight for next spring from NYC or BDL to Hawaii (HNL or OOG) using points in first class as a gift. The first leg options are all narrow body. My question pertains to the second leg and the quality of the experience including the seat selection so that they can see each other and talk during the flight. The routing/aircraft options are ORD 787, DFW 777, LAX a321 or PHX a321neo. I read that the 787 option have seats in that version referred to as coffins because they are narrow. My initial thought is to go with a wide body options for a more "international" feeling experience. Please advise including any seat selection tips.
The 788 (ORD-HNL) has the same seats as a subfleet of the 772s (DFW-HNL). These seats do have a few issues, but for the most part are fine.

I would go via ORD. Shorter first leg and the 787 is way quieter. Definitely do not narrowbody it all the way to LAX or PHX and take a sardine can 321neo.

The seat is a lay flat in 1-2-1 config. Pick the middle two for the couple.
enviroian likes this.

Last edited by Antarius; May 27, 2019 at 7:55 am
Old May 27, 2019, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
If you have all those options then I'm guessing you're burning AAnytime miles, in which case 110% hands down go with the widebody via either ORD or DFW. For a 7+ hr flight it will be light years more comfortable than the 321's. If you grab 2 seats in the center they will be able to talk, etc.

All else being equal I would just take the routing via ORD, shortest time in normal domestic F with the longest time in an int'l lie-flat config on the 787. Assuming your daughter doesn't frequently travel in int'l premium cabins then she will be blown away by the seat.
Old May 27, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
My wife and I just flew ORD-HNL in March and it was wonderful up front in the 787. I wouldn’t route via DFW as you have a longer positioning flight in domestic F.

This was our first time in J on the 787 and we thought the seat, service and meals were wonderful. Any of the complaints we heard about the rocking of the seats we didn’t experience.

I would also recommend Turtle Bay on Oahu if you are looking for a place to stay. We stayed there for five nights and it was awesome.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
If being able to see each other and talk during the flight are important, then F seats are not the best option. Maybe the pair of center seats, but they'd both have to lean forward to be able to talk or see each other, even with the center partition down. The rear-facing seats have the slight advantage here. If the 788 has Premium Economy (a standard domestic F seat with coach service) that would be best for being able to see each other and talk. Obv, the service and comfort in F will be much better, and they can always "talk" in the larger handicap lav mid-flight...
Old May 28, 2019, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
and they can always "talk" in the larger handicap lav mid-flight...
^^^^^^^
altabello likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Go the 787 options. The “coffin” seats are on the 767 aircraft IME.
Old May 28, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Welcome to FlyerTalk, and congratulations on your daughter's upcoming wedding!
Old May 28, 2019, 2:57 pm

I would advise that you take the 788, or the 772.

Last edited by JDiver; May 28, 2019 at 10:43 pm Reason: Post edited to make more welcoming
Old May 28, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Aren't the privacy dividers in the center seats on the 787-8 fixed in the up position? The 772 center seats might be better for that reason, even though they are still quite far apart. Might even be better to do consecutive window seats for the view and they can visit eachother periodically.

If the leg from JFK-LAX was in the A321T business class side by side seats, that could be something to consider as they are nice seats and truly close together. The "regular" A321 has probably the best "normal" first class seats out there.

JFK-DFW is sometimes served by a 757 that has the same seats (less the entertainment screens).

I would avoid the A321NEO for sure.

Of course if you are looking at any redeye flights for the return go with one of the widebodies.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I read that the 787 option have seats in that version referred to as coffins because they are narrow. My initial thought is to go with a wide body options for a more "international" feeling experience. Please advise including any seat selection tips.
I'll take a widebody any day over a narrowbody to Hawaii. My husband and I have done the flight from LAX to OGG, HNL to DFW, and ORD<->HNL. The worst was from LAX. 5 (4?) hours in a domestic first class seat: hard to sleep and get comfortable. We've done both the 787 and 772 in business. The seats are comfortable, you can stretch out, plenty of storage space, and direct aisle access. Made it much easier to sleep on the overnight flight home.
JDiver and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.