Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Crew Not Great? (Poor intl. cabin crew experience)

American Crew Not Great? (Poor intl. cabin crew experience)

Old May 27, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by nk15
LHR-USA on AA I think is probably the route with the most aggressive security, I believe (pre-boarding interviews of all passengers, and I don't recall if they do random bag checks at the gate)...
This happens to me on HKG-LAX and NRT-LAX as well. Maybe not interviews, but pre-boarding inspection of carry ons and documents in the jet bridge after passing the gate.
Old May 27, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
LHR-USA on AA I think is probably the route with the most aggressive security, I believe (pre-boarding interviews of all passengers, and I don't recall if they do random bag checks at the gate)...
I fly LHR->LAX and LHR->DFW fairly often, and have never gotten pre-boarding interviews. Random bag checks happen but always just a handful of people.
Old May 27, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SEA737
I fly LHR->LAX and LHR->DFW fairly often, and have never gotten pre-boarding interviews. Random bag checks happen but always just a handful of people.
They usually look like me
SamOF likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Strange. On pretty much every US-bound flight I've flown (from LHR or elsewhere), there is usually a series of questions you have to answer before being admitted into the boarding area. At LHR, I've had questions at check-in, and they'll put a little sticker on the back of your passport (although it's been a while since I've checked in at the check-in desks at LHR, so not sure if they still do this).

Although I've experienced the "pre-boarding" screening questions at airports besides LHR, LHR is by and large the airport at which I've experienced the strictest security in general (strict scrutiny of liquid amounts, pat downs, etc.). This is probably more a LHR thing than a US-flight thing, though.
Old May 27, 2019, 2:56 pm

OP's behavior very easily could have ended up with a removal from the flight, especially out of a security heightened location such as LHR. I'm honestly surprised it didn't at a minimum turn into a conversation of some sort about his staying on the flight though maybe it did.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Strange. On pretty much every US-bound flight I've flown (from LHR or elsewhere), there is usually a series of questions you have to answer before being admitted into the boarding area. At LHR, I've had questions at check-in, and they'll put a little sticker on the back of your passport (although it's been a while since I've checked in at the check-in desks at LHR, so not sure if they still do this).

Although I've experienced the "pre-boarding" screening questions at airports besides LHR, LHR is by and large the airport at which I've experienced the strictest security in general (strict scrutiny of liquid amounts, pat downs, etc.). This is probably more a LHR thing than a US-flight thing, though.
Interesting. Yeah, not my experience. Hard to extrapolate though, but it doesn't look like the vast majority are getting that kind of questioning. Definitely not at the gate.
Old May 27, 2019, 3:06 pm

Clip-on USB fan Clip-on USB fan

One of the best things you can add to your travel pack. Sitting on the ground and the air isnt on? Bam! Air circulation.

Hotel a bit warm, even with the air turned down? Boom!

These little 6-inch fans are a life saver across so many scenarios. Cant imagine not having one any more. I even have a little rechargeable power pack that I use with it when an outlet isnt readily available.

They arent going to blow your hat off, but they sure do make a nice, comfortable breeze.

Edit: note the link is reference only, not sponsored or an affiliate link of any kind.
Old May 27, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hyatt EXPL, *all* the CC statuses
Interesting. Yeah, not my experience. Hard to extrapolate though, but it doesn't look like the vast majority are getting that kind of questioning. Definitely not at the gate.
This usually happens at check in. Do you have TSA Precheck? If your KTN is on your reservation and the carrier participates, they will not ask you any additional questions on international flights bound for the US. If not, it depends.

On the other hand, the "SSSS" designator that brings extra bag checks is supposedly random.
Old May 27, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by thunderlounge

Clip-on USB fan

One of the best things you can add to your travel pack. Sitting on the ground and the air isnt on? Bam! Air circulation.

Hotel a bit warm, even with the air turned down? Boom!

These little 6-inch fans are a life saver across so many scenarios. Cant imagine not having one any more. I even have a little rechargeable power pack that I use with it when an outlet isnt readily available.

They arent going to blow your hat off, but they sure do make a nice, comfortable breeze.

Edit: note the link is reference only, not sponsored or an affiliate link of any kind.
Dont forget the additional benefit that when your fellow passengers turn theirs on and everyone orients the fan in the proper direction the flight gets a speed boost. True story, there where some transatlantic speed records set in the past twelve months
Old May 27, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
They have a special "enhanced questioning" room somewhere at the terminal connecting corridors leading to T3 departures where they try to lure you in, which is best to ignore, and you get a shorter interview at the gate, usually. This is how they used to do it for a while, not sure if it has changed lately.
Everybody is supposed to go through that, it doesn't have anything to do with GE or SSSS.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
I apologise to anyone I have offended or upset by standing by the door - I will be sure to never do it again.

As far as questioning goes I was questioned at the first class check in about my job and what I do for work, who I work for, Where I work, who my boss is etc. As first I wasn’t sure what exactly the point of these questions were for but once I did I gave her way more information than was needed and she stamped my boarding pass.

I was never question at BA first check in or any of the other times I have flown to the US in the last year; none in business class on BA, none on Norwegian to JFK either. I agree that LHR seems to have super zealous security checks with every fluid you have in the bag and on display and random bag checks which I did see when I was boarding (except when flying BA first it seems as they didn’t even seem to care if I opened my bag or not).

By contrast the TSA here at O’Hare didn’t ask me to open my bag, didn’t check the liquid sizes etc; just put it through the x-ray machine and were done.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:16 pm

They have a special "enhanced questioning" room somewhere at the terminal connecting corridors leading to T3 departures where they try to lure you in, which is best to ignore, and you get a shorter interview at the gate, usually. This is how they used to do it for a while, not sure if it has changed lately.
Everybody is supposed to go through that, it doesn't have anything to do with GE or SSSS.
I don't think it's everybody, because I've never had to do it, flying from T3 to the USA maybe 6 times in the past 2 years.

Originally Posted by sudobuntu
This usually happens at check in. Do you have TSA Precheck? If your KTN is on your reservation and the carrier participates, they will not ask you any additional questions on international flights bound for the US. If not, it depends.

On the other hand, the "SSSS" designator that brings extra bag checks is supposedly random.
I do have TSA Precheck. That could be it.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by enpremiere

Dont forget the additional benefit that when your fellow passengers turn theirs on and everyone orients the fan in the proper direction the flight gets a speed boost. True story, there where some transatlantic speed records set in the past twelve months
I can confirm this, it is a thing.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I fly weekly on long haul AA and can say, as a CK, AA crew are among the worst. They are indifferent in service and dress (yesterdays flight attendant has such a poorly trimmed beard you couldnt see his mouth and had
no idea if he were talking to you). Uniforms run the gamut from old US pieces to something they think looks similar but is really just white and blue). For the price point, its embarrassing. To find one that likes their job or at least delivers a pleasant service is a needle in a haystack. Sadly, domestic service is often better because they are new hires.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I fly weekly on long haul AA and can say, as a CK, AA crew are among the worst. They are indifferent in service and dress (yesterdays flight attendant has such a poorly trimmed beard you couldnt see his mouth and had
no idea if he were talking to you). Uniforms run the gamut from old US pieces to something they think looks similar but is really just white and blue). For the price point, its embarrassing. To find one that likes their job or at least delivers a pleasant service is a needle in a haystack. Sadly, domestic service is often better because they are new hires.
Well, for starters I would venture that your service levels as a CK on AA would improve if your FT username was OneWorld777.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.