Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (2019+)

Old May 26, 2019, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024

First, a hearty welcome to Executive Platinum status!

New Executive Platinum members, whether "self-made", via your Concierge Key nomination or made by AA offers, including challenges, to similar status holders from competing airlines, often have questions about how the program works.

Feel free to post your questions here, but also be aware many of your questions about American Airlines, AAdvantage and Executive Platinum status can be answered in these resources:
Link to What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (consolidated) thread on FT

Link to AAdvantage Elite Status guide and charts on aa.com

Link to "FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!" thread.
● For older posts, please see:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ag-2018-a.html

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (2017+)

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (pre-2017)

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
UGH, expected my CDG-JFK to do it today but it was less EQD than expected. Sitting $76 short of $15k and at 136+k EQM. Will have to wait until next week to get it done and get my SWUs that I am dying to burn. I'm sure the C space will be gone by the time I get them. SO CLOSE!
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
UGH, expected my CDG-JFK to do it today but it was less EQD than expected. Sitting $76 short of $15k and at 136+k EQM. Will have to wait until next week to get it done and get my SWUs that I am dying to burn. I'm sure the C space will be gone by the time I get them. SO CLOSE!
Bummer
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA EXP
Should qualify for EXP by the end of the month. Questions on SWUs: do I get an allocation of 2 right away for the 2019 year? And, do I get another batch of 2 at the beginning of the 2020 status year?

Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by ridepow
Should qualify for EXP by the end of the month. Questions on SWUs: do I get an allocation of 2 right away for the 2019 year? And, do I get another batch of 2 at the beginning of the 2020 status year?

Thanks!
You will be giving 4 SWUs when you qualify for EXP. They will be usable immediately and valid until they expire after January 31, 2021.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite
Well, I should have been landing in TLV here in 2 hours to get EXP again, but my project was canceled earlier this week, leaving me tripless for the rest of 2019, in turn leaving me $972 short on EQDs for EXP this year.

Now I get to figure out how to convince my management to get me a flight or two for the new projects (nowhere near going to be a long haul) just to get the EQDs, or I wait for AAdvantage to email me late in December with an absurd offer to buy my way into EXP again for more than just a $1000 EQD flight to say LHR and back.

Anyone been sitting within $1000 of the EQD requirement and figured out a way to get it done? I'm well over the EQMs, and won't ever make EQS, so it's down to EQDs or bust.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Originally Posted by acoburn73
Well, I should have been landing in TLV here in 2 hours to get EXP again, but my project was canceled earlier this week, leaving me tripless for the rest of 2019, in turn leaving me $972 short on EQDs for EXP this year.

Now I get to figure out how to convince my management to get me a flight or two for the new projects (nowhere near going to be a long haul) just to get the EQDs, or I wait for AAdvantage to email me late in December with an absurd offer to buy my way into EXP again for more than just a $1000 EQD flight to say LHR and back.

Anyone been sitting within $1000 of the EQD requirement and figured out a way to get it done? I'm well over the EQMs, and won't ever make EQS, so it's down to EQDs or bust.
If you would consider the buy-back at the end of the year which will likely be around $1400, would you consider just taking yourself on a $1000 weekend trip? Maybe fly in first to someplace you’d enjoy?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Beachfun71
If you would consider the buy-back at the end of the year which will likely be around $1400, would you consider just taking yourself on a $1000 weekend trip? Maybe fly in first to someplace you’d enjoy?
I would, but since I have 3 months left in the year and a job that typically requires at least 1 trip per quarter, I may try to find a reason to make a work trip. Otherwise, I'll likely do what you suggest, or take my wife to LHR for a 3-day weekend on a non-stop BA flight from DEN (WTP).
Beachfun71 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Hilton Honors, Hertz
with what's currently booked, I should end up with 103K eqm in mid November. .

Next year should be much easier as mid-year I got the medical exception filed to be able to book business/first on flights more than 2hr. Work usually has me on 4 trips to europe a year plus a couple of trips to the west coast. (either YVR or SJC) My EU trips are usually PRG, FRA, TXL, or MUC. Assuming discount fare (corp booking is picky) I usually only get the 3x multiplier out of business class. I count my EU trips at 22.5K each for planning purposes. Getting another 10K EQM out of the rest of the year usually isn't that hard.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Exp Plat, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold, UA Silver, AF Silver, National EE, Hertz Pres Circle

At long last ...
robertablake likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
FINALLY got over the line about two weeks ago, sitting at $17,078 EQD, 167,685 EQM and 46 Segments right now. Have already burned FIVE of my SWU on JFK-LHR-JFK, JFK-CDG-JFK and CDG-JFK. Was shocked to find wide open C avail on not only my exact dates (JFK-LHR-JFK in Oct., JFK-CDG-JFK in March and CDG-JFK in March) but several days before and after. I should end up over 200k, so i'll have 3 SWU left to play with for the rest of 2020, will try to find some use to HKG ideally.
fotographer likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond

Not sure why EQM isn’t check marked but I received the email welcoming me back and SWUs deposited.
robertablake likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by HofstraJet

Not sure why EQM isn’t check marked but I received the email welcoming me back and SWUs deposited.
I see a blue check mark on EQMs.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Qualified this year (2019) on October 3, a two-month improvement compared to 2018. From last year's thread, referencing a re-qualification date of November 30:

2019 will be my tenth year in a row, thirteenth as EXP overall. Other milestones from the past year: crossed 3,000,000 miles and celebrated 35 years in the AAdvantage program (join date in 1983).

Miles (EQMs): 100,790 of 100,000
Segments (EQSs): 124 of 120
Dollars (EQDs): $13,100 of $12,000
2020 will be my eleventh sequential year, fourteenth as EXP overall. Judging from the statistics, one notices a trendline...
2017 12,898 spend for 100,713 miles or 12.8 cents/ mile
2018 13,100 spend for 100,790 miles or 13.0 cents/ mile
2019 15,318 spend for 112,032 miles or 13.7 cents/ mile

Statistics from AA...

Executive Platinum

Miles (EQMs) 112,032 of 100,000
Segments (EQSs) 125 of 120

Dollars (EQDs) 15,318 of 15,000
fotographer likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Cool One more year!

I'm a relatively newb to the EXP world (previously, only ever made PP). But, halfway through my JFK>LHR biz trip, just made it for Year #2 ! Woot!
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
glad to see so many of you qualify... I will hit 200K by the end of this year..
done the 200K now 5 out of 13 years as EXP... no wonder my lovely wife thinks I travel too much.
Now if AA follows UA... I dont think I will make it.. or even try... (well I say that now, but it is always a challenge to see if I can make EXP again.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.